Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happens if you give distilled? I use regular bottled drinking water, but it would be good to know.
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Kellog's right, I was just replying to specifics, my apologies if I upset you and as above, give your snakes any water you want (as long as its not distilled!), neither tap nor bottled will do them any harm.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  11:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

cider for me and my snakes

Do you recommend any specific brand? Our snakes desrerve only the best of the best.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  11:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA!!!That's cute. I've not drunk tap water in ten years because when we moved to Germany our neighbor told us not to. The first time I boiled the tap water white powder showed up all over my pots and on my stove.
quote:
Originally posted by Rich78

quote:

orl teh kemikulz in tap wortar nevur dud miy brayn eni haarm
quote:

Mice ome ho I maen Nice one!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  11:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get scared unless I see my snake sick. She is shy and skinny, but not sick.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I suppose I do mean flouride.

Is it really such a problem if I dont like drinking tap water though? My reps have the water conditioner, and thats that.

Of course not, but I wanted to address some of the statements you made before other members got scared for no reason.

Each to their own

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  12:19:42  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
o.o tap, but we filter it cause im fussy and think water taste weird so i wont have it unless its boiled or filtered (and thats to go in juice lol wont even drink it on its own like that i hate water xD). Though i've not found a lot of difference between tap or bottled, i wouldnt drink either on their own lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  12:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ginger looks like Snickers does right after a shed. Nice. At my age, I have to drink water. I am also picky and will only drink certain brands of bottled water because of the taste.
quote:
Originally posted by Twi

o.o tap, but we filter it cause im fussy and think water taste weird so i wont have it unless its boiled or filtered (and thats to go in juice lol wont even drink it on its own like that i hate water xD). Though i've not found a lot of difference between tap or bottled, i wouldnt drink either on their own lol

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  13:24:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

What happens if you give distilled? I use regular bottled drinking water, but it would be good to know.
quote:

Kellog's right, I was just replying to specifics, my apologies if I upset you and as above, give your snakes any water you want (as long as its not distilled!), neither tap nor bottled will do them any harm.

Very basically, distilled water has had so much taken out of it that it will absorb ions from the body back into the water which is then passed. So basically it can strip nourishment from the body.

Some people use this as part of a detox, but long term it can cause serious damage.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  02:59:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I use tap water, what's good enough for the goose is good enought for the gander. Even my fishes get tap water, declorinated of co****, well..... dechloriminated.
I haven't heard of tap water being bad for herps, but I have read they are bad for Phibs, mainly frogs as alot of them absorb the water through their skin so apparently you should use spring water and dechlorinated tap water. And as BE pointed out, you shouldn't use distilled water.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  04:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Well I use tap water..... declorinated of co****, well..........

Sorry LittleMick, couldnt help but laugh at your splelling of 'of course'....am assuming by the swear filter that it was not the way you spelt it!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  13:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blackecho is right about distilled water but i'd say wrong about fluoride. It is classed as a poison by the medical industry and only slightly less toxic than arsnic. Yes fluoride does come as a natural chemical but the stuff added to our water is not natural but a by-product of industry. Is is now proven to be bad for your health by many a report, a simple search on the net will prove this.

quick link search one of many pages on fluoride- http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/fluoride.html

Ps I work in the water industry. Just something to think about - Why does toothpaste have a warning about to much consumtion on the tube or packet? and seek medical help if to much is consumed?

Anyways I wouldnt give tap water without being filtered to my kids never mind my snake!
Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  14:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most compounds are toxic at a high enough concentration, if I eat too much sugar I can develop type II diabetes therefore ban sugar! The warnings on toothpaste are there because of the high concentration of fluoride you'd be ingesting, not the lower levels in water.
I'm a scientist and in our lab it's surprising how many compounds have warning stickers on them, salt and sucrose readily spring to mind. :)
Oxygen is toxic at high concentrations and produces free radicals which can damage DNA yet it's this very mechanism which allows life to occur.

There is a natural level of fluorination in water depending upon region.
http://www.dwi.gov.uk/consumer/wq08ccw.shtm
I'm Thames and they don't add fluorine to my water according to the report though there is a natural level of fluorination.

Also bottled waters can contain fluoride and don't necessarily mention it, again linked to the point above about it being naturally found in water
http://www.ehow.com/about_5370977_bottled-waters-contain-fluoride.html
This article also mentions it's benefits at low concentrations which ties in with my first sentence.

Wikipedia has an article on fluoridation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation

This last bit isn't aimed at anyone on the forum it's merely a rant and getting things off my chest! :)
I do feel that society in general is regressing with its swing against science and some kind of romantic notion about the good old days before science and the rise of homeopathy etc. We need to stop thinking just because something is produced by an industrial process that automatically makes it bad. A compound has a molecular structure and how that is arrived at is irrelevant. For example Aspirin naturally occurs in willow bark, once the active compounds structure was determined they could synthesise it with greater purity. Given the choice would you rather pop an Aspirin tablet or chew on some bark? We all need to move away from the natural=good artificial=bad dogma, there's plenty of "natural" mushrooms etc which I wouldn't eat!

I'll finish with the classic scare-mongering about dihydrogen monoxide... ;)

Subject: TOXIC CHEMICAL ALERT!!

The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

* is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
* contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
* may cause severe burns.
* contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
* accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
* may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
* has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the US.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant.
* in nuclear power plants.
* in the production of styrofoam.
* as a fire retardant.
* in many forms of cruel animal research.
* in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
* as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout the world.

Please forward to all your friends, particularly if they are pregnant as addiction to this chemical can be passed from mother to unborn child. REMEMBER! The withdrawal symptoms can kill you.

1.0.0 Beaker (10-8-09 amel)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  14:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGD

Ps I work in the water industry.

Me too, for the past 10 years I've been testing water samples, where do you work?

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  16:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very clever MacSpud. My husband who is also a scientist laughed big time at this but also with a knowing nod of the head. I didn't know what it was but am happily one of those people who will do my own research before believing everything I read - happily I only had to ask Mike.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  17:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where I work is irrelevant. It doesnt change what science is saying. The pipe material is another story but nothing to do with snakes :) ie Lead , plastic types, leaching etc etc. Fluoride is a nasty substance you cant deny that. It is also proven it is detrimental to the human body and brain ( even in small doses ). They tried to introduce it into the uk water supply years ago and the public was in an uproar. They knew it was bad hence why the stepped up to the mark. Im not here to argue about it just chucking in what i have learned from research papers and other people in the industry.

The problem is we drink alot of water and the stuff builds up in your system so even though water has a small amount it still builds up + toothpaste (keep out of reach of children btw and rinse well -DONT SWALLOW,though you do swallow some that is always left in the mouth.But dont worry its only a small amount thats added to the other small amounts from yesterday etcetcetc). It is currently getting banned in a few counties and others are trying to get it banned(added fluoride). Wonder how there teeth will fair lol

MacSpud no offence but i take whats in wikidpedia with a pinch of salt, just a pinch :) People can make there own minds up on fluoride if they havent consumed to much of it.Certainly worth looking into. And its not scare-mongering its just info.To say its scare-mongering you make it sound like im just trying to scare people and it makes them dismiss the info( though you never said directly, well written btw ;) Im not trying to scare only provide info for peeps to make up there own mind.

Anyways lets snake hands on it, drop this topic and get on with snake talk :) Dont want to upset the shepherds of the forum by getting into a debate over this. We are here for guidance on snake issues.

No offence intended to anyone.

Bottled or filtered water for my baby.
Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  17:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks but I cannot claim it as my own, it does email rounds occasionally together with the one about switching your computers off on a certain date (usually April 1st) so that the internet can be cleaned :)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  17:52:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pmsl! after googling it! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  17:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@TGD
The last bit about scare-mongering wasn't aimed at you, I mainly included it because it's funny imo.
Still no problem and no offence taken or hopefully given.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  18:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My husband who is also a scientist laughed big time at this but also WITH A KNOWING NOD of the head. I didn't know what it was but am happily one of those people who will do my own research before believing everything I read - happily I only had to ask Mike" - nice research ya done there :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  18:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

cider for me and my snakes

Me too. She prefers a more rough cider like cornish Rattler (which is my favourite too)!

HAHa. Been using tap water since I got her over a decade ago & will continue to do so.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  19:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGD

Where I work is irrelevant.

I was just being friendly, if you're in the water industry its quite a small community and there is a chance we know some of the same people of have been to the same conferences etc.

quote:
Originally posted by TGD

Bottled or filtered water for my baby.

Just so that you are aware, both of these will contain F-

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page