Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Where about are you situated? Chances are there may be somebody who could recommend one.

Im Bradford- West Yorkshire
Im thinking because she in the front room where the babies play it is not quiet for her should i put her in the old tank which was her- it still has the chipping and all her things in it and move her upstairs where it is quiet?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a vets for her need to call tomorrow for appt, the only thing is moving her again if she is still laying eggs, im going to ask if the do home visits but if not should I wait to see if she lays more eggs or take her down to be seen?
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  15:53:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If she started laying 2 nights ago and hasn't finished laying them by morning then i would take her to the vets. The will likely give her a couple of jabs and hopefully that will help shift them.
You could tell the vet what the problem was over the phone and then if they did do home visits she could bring any necesary equipment but i think it will likely be a case of you goin to the vets.

I really do hope she pulls through.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  16:54:26  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if there is more than 24 hours between laying eggs, then she is officially eggbound and needs a vet. Don't worry about the 'stress of moving her', those eggs NEED to come out and the vets is the best chance you have.
I am going through the same thing you are at the moment with an eggbound female and mine has started to slowly lay the stuck eggs after a hormone jab and calcium boosts so all is not lost just yet.
Also try to feed her a pinky or a fuzzy, this can help to get the eggs on the move again, and will also give her a welcome boost.
Give her a bath twice a day at 29 deg.C with reptoboost in the water and make sure she drinks lots to keep hydrated.

Good luck and keep us updated how you get on.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  17:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if there is more than 24 hours between laying eggs, then she is officially eggbound and needs a vet. Don't worry about the 'stress of moving her', those eggs NEED to come out and the vets is the best chance you have.
I am going through the same thing you are at the moment with an eggbound female and mine has started to slowly lay the stuck eggs after a hormone jab and calcium boosts so all is not lost just yet.
Also try to feed her a pinky or a fuzzy, this can help to get the eggs on the move again, and will also give her a welcome boost.
Give her a bath twice a day at 29 deg.C with reptoboost in the water and make sure she drinks lots to keep hydrated.

Agreed.

edit: i stuck my reply in the middle of the quote. doh..

Edited by - hillzi on 03/05/2010 17:48:03
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  19:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Hi thanks for your advise she has had 4 eggs 2 nights ago she looked like she could have more this morning but now she doesnt im confused.
I did offer her a pinkky last night but she did not eat it, I will offer again tonight, the water is not far from her. I still think a vet appt is good for her, can she only have 4 eggs been only 2 yrs old and very thin now.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  19:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would get her to the vets regardless, if its been 2 nights, and there is any doubt over whether or not she has retained eggs then she needs seen, nevermind how worrying it is when you say she is very thin.

Hope all goes ok.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  23:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only just caught up on this,
i have my fingers and toes crossed for you and your snake - i hope she makes it through and please let us know how she gets on with a vet,
also make sure that when you move the eggs you dont tip them upside down or anything

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  05:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jessica - I have only just caught up on this thread and I am so sorry for the situation you have found yourself in, you have enough on your hands with your 2 young children and then your trusted someone who should have known what they were talking about....you had no reason to doubt the pet shop owner and just followed his advice.

PLEASE dont feel bad about what has happened, it cant be changed and what is important is that you have found this forum and you are acting on the advice given. The people who are giving you this advice know what they are talking about, so trust them. And please dont think that they are criticizing your care of your snakes, that is the last thing on their mind as they are only full of sympathy for the predicament you are in and just want to help as much as they possibly can.

I am no expert, about snakes and especially about breeding, but reading through this and from the bit I have learnt while being on this forum I think you need to prepare yourself for the worst - it sounds as though she is in a very bad state and even with a visit to the vets there may be little they can do. SexyBear has had experience of this very recently which is why she can talk so knowledgeably on the subject - her snake died because it was egg-bound - and Eeji is dealing with an egg-bound snake at the moment.

Try to be calm (easy to type and hard to do, I know) and follow all the advice given. It is obvious from your posts how much you care for your snakes and I can imagine how difficult it is juggling everything you need to do for her as well as caring for your kids. Please let us know how both she and you are doing.

I just hope and pray that everything is ok and you are given the strength to deal with this.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  12:13:37  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Vets is the best plan to be honest, because the longer you leave it the worse it will get. A calcium jab will really help her lay, and feel a bit better.

Mine got eggbound, and after running about panicking, I took her to the vet, and she laid 4-5 per day for the following 3 days. She's ok now, but still very thin. (she refused food for a long time too).

Best plan, keep calm.

Make sure that when you move her to take her to the vets, you support her body, as she'll be weak and uncomfy.

(I'd suggest transporting her in a faunarium - I've got one as a travel viv, as I can put some of her substrate and a hide in it, and it cost me £12)

Good luck sweetie!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  21:23:45  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How is she today? Did you manage to get her into a vets? I'm praying for you both hun and hope she proves to be stronger than she looks

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  09:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning all thank you for your help and advise, update I have a vet appt today at 2pm when I spoke to them on the phone they said to leave her at home untill friday and then if nothing bring her in but I made an apppt for today I didnt want to wait untill friday seems too long to leave her.
She ate a pinnky last night and the night before wow she must of been hungry she nearly took my finger off but at least she is eating my next worry is she has not passed anything no feases yet so may be constipated too but hopefully today will help at the vets.
There is alot of home stresses with the babies and my partners grandma died last night but my mind in on them all no-one will be left out, so be assured my little girl snake will be looked after.
I will keep you all informed later today.
Once again thanks you all for you help, advise and kind words.

Oh and there are no more eggs as yet but all is dark and quiet for her (well as much as can be with the babies), she is moving but not much she likes it in her hide.
When i move her water closer to her she looks to see me and comes out abit but dont worry she is not tooched and im not spending more than 30sec in the tank, so she is left alone but knows i am here.

Edited by - n/a on 05/05/2010 09:16:25
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  09:31:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the vets, I'm glad she has eaten. Hopeful there are no eggs left in her. When you take her to the vets she may have some bowel movements then lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  09:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Sta~ple

Good luck with the vets, I'm glad she has eaten. Hopeful there are no eggs left in her. When you take her to the vets she may have some bowel movements then lol.

Lets hope lol, do you know anything about eggs as I bought them an incubator and was told to put them in and just leave them for 60 is that right? or do i need to be checking them?
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  11:09:51  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What set up do you have?

The temps should NOT go over 30 deg C as that will cook them, Ideally it should stay at about 28C (the temps in mine flux between 23C and 28C, although ideally they should be steadier)

You'll need to make sure that the eggs aren't directly on the heat, and that the humidity is as near to 100% as you can get.

You'll need a small amount of airflow.

Please remember that you mustn't turn/roll/knock the eggs over, some people say 2 hours after laying, Mike says 24 hours. But definately not after 24 hours. This will drown the baby snake.

The eggs should be about 1/2 to 1/3 buried in vermiculite (you can use moss, but I prefer Verm!) in a tub.

If it's a homemade one, (or a bought one with a heatmat) make sure that the tub is off the heatmat. I've used a cake cooling rack.

Make sure that you have a thermometer by the eggs to help you keep a constant eye on the temp :D

If I've missed anything, I'm sure it'll be added :D

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  14:52:08  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good luck at the vets i hope it went ok 4 you and her... glad to know she ate that must be something :D

erm cant think much more to be added with the eggs but my brain is dead today and i cant think lol but good luck with them :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  23:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys

Just a quick note she is fine healthy just thin no eggs in her and vet not worried about her at all I mentioned about her weight and she said she was thin but nothing to worry about yey.
As for the egg I bought a incubator for them cost me £75 a conplete set up polistireen box the green sandy stuff (that u add water), that is on the bottom the eggs are in a tub in the stuff i burried them so there covered, there tep is 80-82 (think f) I check the temp everytime i go up but have not checked the eggs as dont want to cool inside but I am worry about them.
I asked the vet about her no having bowl movements but she said they dont always go straight away and to leave it a couple of days she did give me some powder to put in the water so help her.
Plus she had a vitimun shot (she didnt like it) but its for her own good.
I hope now all will be good there is 1 question do i have to keep them separate forever? or can I put them back together in a month or so?.
oh and do I leave the eggs alone for 60 days or check on them?.
Thanks all again for you adise, help and kind words thats to you all my baby girl is safe and well. I owe you all so much thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  05:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant help you on your questions on the eggs Jessica, but I just wanted to say how pleased I am that she is ok and that there are no more eggs to be laid. You definitely did the right thing in taking her to the vets and it is so good that she ate the pinkies. She will probably be absorbing all the nutrition she can from them so when she does poo it wont be much. Mine take about 3 days after a feed before they poo, so I dont think you have anything to worry about.

I am so sorry about your OH's grandma dying....you really are dealing with so much at the moment. But it is also obvious how much you care for this snake and that you will do everything in your power to get her healthy - there is no way you would forget her in the chaos of life!

I am sure those who are experienced with eggs will be able to give you some proper advice soon.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  08:39:53  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad she's well!!

I'm no good at temp conversions :S but that sounds ok (at least from the online temp converter anyhew!)

HAHAHA, yeah, give her a day or so to digest the mouse!! :D

You'll have to keep them seperate unless you want to breed them. Although their 'breeding season' seems to be end of winter/spring time, they will happily mate any time of the year, and you need to make sure that your girl is at least 3 foot, 300 grams and 3 years old before breeding her again (if that's what you want to do!). If you put them together now, she will most likely get gravid again and this could kill her, as by the sounds of it she isn't ready for it.

It's an agreed thing (especially on this forum) that snakes are solitary creatures in the wild, and will only come together to mate, so why put them through the stress in captivity. Although saying that, I know a few people who keep same sex snakes together in a big enough viv, and they're fine. It depends on the snake really. Some are more dominant than others, so you really have to know your snake well, and look out for signs of dominating/stress.

Bottom line...Best not to!

------------------
I'm sorry about your OH's nan, loads of love coming your way.

------------------
EGGIES -

It's good to check on them occasionally, especially for peace of mind.

If any moulding occurs you can clean it off with a damp cotton bud. (very gently!)

I know I've said before, but don't move the eggs while checking on them!

Sandy stuff that you add water too......??? What's that? (possibly me being dense!)

I'd 'mist' the substrate the eggs are in if it looks to be drying out, as you want to keep it moist, but not soggy!

:D good luck! :D

Make sure you have seperate tubs for when the snakelings hatch. When they've absorbed their yolks, they need to be seperated, as it's not good to have snakelings in together!

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  08:59:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad she laid them ok and there was no complications. You had a very lucky escape as this could have ended so much worse.

As for the co habiting you should keep them seperate untill they are atleast of breeding age and weight which is 300g 3 years old and 3 foot long.

Now they are seperate you will notice how much happier the female will be and she may well start to eat. I would say if she does start to eat and does perk up then keep them seperate forever, this clearly shows that the stress was coming from being co habitted.

In the wild they are solitary animals and only come together to breed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page