Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:30:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The tank is a bit too big for just the one snake but don't worry about that yet. only one heat source is needed and must be thermostatted. The thermostats don't come with the bulb they must be bought seperately, if you havn't bought one then you don't have one so i advice you not to use the bulb.

The heatmat must be statted to around 27-30 degrees celsius and cover between 1/3 and 1/2 of the tank.

Do you know what the wood chips are made of? Pine is toxic to snakes and many cheap wood chips are made of pine.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need a stat for the heat source- if I were you I would ditch the bulb and just keep the mat. An on/off stat is fine for a mat.

Get a seperate set up for the male- RUB, heat mat, stat, 2 hides, substrate, digi thermomter, water bowl.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:36:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest, if the petshop knew she was as they classified "a fussy eater" they should not have sold you the snake. I got sold my girl under these circumstances and I bought her as I wanted to help her and she was with a male of mine for man years and after they separated, her eating habits got a lot better. She's still a bit fussy so sometimes I have to warm and wiggle her food but she does go for it eventually.

You don't need a bulb and a heat mat as either one of them is enough to produce the warm end heat and if you have both on at the same time you could get cooked snake. I would just say use the mat and change what ever the bulb is to one that can light the viv if you anted to see your snake at night but with a bulb that doesn't emit heat.

I got sold a wrong set-up too from my petshop, there was a bulb at each end so there was no hot and cool end unless the middle of the bulbs count.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chipping are not pine they are from the reptile shop, the 1 thing I dont do is go cheap with them, the tank just cos me £125 so im not changing yet it has everthing with it and I cant afford another yet.
The light is off and just getting old tank sorted for her, so hope there is some improvement.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't move her into a new tank, it will cause stress, move the male.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I bought her I didnt know she was a fussy eater they said she just needs time to settle in her new home, instead of eating twice a week she was eating once a week or once a month she did last year go 2 months without eating the reptire store said she will be shedding or just sleeping and that it was normal not to worry.
Once the mice are defrosted (left out at room temp)I will put her in hot water just to warm it up for her.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:48:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Agreed, move the male.

I wasn't saying that you go cheap, i was merely saying that many of the cheap wood chips are made of pine. Just because you bought them from the rep shop dosn't mean anything. You have just proved that the rep shop you use dosn't know anything. It is partially there fault your in this mess now.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by SexyBear77

She is in the new tank now not gone around exploring yet the old tank is where she come from, she has only been in the new tank sice 7am this morning.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:51:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you have the old substrate and decor in the old tank?

All the decor and hides will have her scent on them.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amyoli01

[quote]Originally posted by SexyBear77

She is in the new tank now not gone around exploring yet the old tank is where she come from, she has only been in the new tank sice 7am this morning.

Ohh flippin eck, you shouldnt have moved her when she is laying......

Put a dark towel over the front of the viv, leave the room and keep everything quiet for a good few hours. You could try moving her back and putting the male in the new tank, but this will cause stress too.

Be prepared for a trip to the vets.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When did she lay the first eggs?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ohh flippin eck, you shouldnt have moved her when she is laying......

Put a dark towel over the front of the viv, leave the room and keep everything quiet for a good few hours. You could try moving her back and putting the male in the new tank, but this will cause stress too.

Be prepared for a trip to the vets.

Oh wow myt house is not a quiet one I have 2 babies 17month and 8 month, what im thinking is putting her in the oldtank where she knows, putting her upstairs in the spare room (no-one goes in there) so will be dark and quiet for her, this anygood?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by DannyBrown91

When did she lay the first eggs?

night before last I noticed them at 11.30pm when i was going to bed but that night turned into a 2am night.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:00:09  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is such a shame you were given such bad advice from the pet shop. Unfortunately it seems to be a regular occurance with these places. We trust these places as they can talk the talk and when you don't know any different it's easy for them to pull the wool over our eyes. You were not to know that they were giving bad information. However, you are now in the right place and your concern and love for your girl is shining through. I would say the most important thing to do for now is take your male out and put him in another viv or a rub. Have you got the equipment for the set up? The bare minumum for him will be heatmat, thermostat, digital thermometer, hides and water bowl. You can use kitchen roll or shredded newspaper as substrate, cereal boxes for hides.
I would probably just use the heatmat in the girls viv with a stat on it to make sure her temps are constant and she is comfortable. make sure she has enough places to hide as she will feel nervous being in a big viv with lots of space.
I can't advise on the problem with her laying, I'm sure there will be some breeders along soon who can help you with a plan of action there.

I really hope and pray for the best for your girl. We are all routing for you both. Please don't feel guilty about what has happened. All you were doing is following the advice of someone who should have known better. And it's good that you are a worrier because it shows how much you care and it brought you here.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Do you have the old substrate and decor in the old tank?

All the decor and hides will have her scent on them.

Yeah everthing is in there the same.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:02:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You need to keep stress to a minimum, don't move her again.

Are her old hides and things in the new tank?

What about any of her old substrate? This would help to minimise the stress of the move.

Stressed snakes can become eggbound and this can be fatal. It may sound like we are trying to get at you but we are purely concerned for the snakes welfare. Sexybear knows from first hand experience how fatal a snake becoming eggbound can be.

Edit - put some of her old substrate in the new tank, and swap the hides she isn't using with her old ones.

If she hasn't passed the remaining eggs by the morning then i think she will most likely need a vet trip. Do you know of any reptile vets near you?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 03/05/2010 14:06:23
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

It is such a shame you were given such bad advice from the pet shop. Unfortunately it seems to be a regular occurance with these places. We trust these places as they can talk the talk and when you don't know any different it's easy for them to pull the wool over our eyes. You were not to know that they were giving bad information. However, you are now in the right place and your concern and love for your girl is shining through. I would say the most important thing to do for now is take your male out and put him in another viv or a rub. Have you got the equipment for the set up? The bare minumum for him will be heatmat, thermostat, digital thermometer, hides and water bowl. You can use kitchen roll or shredded newspaper as substrate, cereal boxes for hides.
I would probably just use the heatmat in the girls viv with a stat on it to make sure her temps are constant and she is comfortable. make sure she has enough places to hide as she will feel nervous being in a big viv with lots of space.
I can't advise on the problem with her laying, I'm sure there will be some breeders along soon who can help you with a plan of action there.

I really hope and pray for the best for your girl. We are all routing for you both. Please don't feel guilty about what has happened. All you were doing is following the advice of someone who should have known better. And it's good that you are a worrier because it shows how much you care and it brought you here.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I do have everthing in the old viv as the new one came with everthing in it, the old one has her sent on it, so shall i put some of them chippings in the new viv for her comfort as she has not moved today her sent will not be in the new viv.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't move her again, just try and keep out of the room where the viv is if possible, keep it dark and peaceful. She will be stressed, uncomfortable and possibly quite weak.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

You need to keep stress to a minimum, don't move her again.

Are her old hides and things in the new tank?

What about any of her old substrate? This would help to minimise the stress of the move.

Stressed snakes can become eggbound and this can be fatal. It may sound like we are trying to get at you but we are purely concerned for the snakes welfare. Sexybear knows from first hand experience how fatal a snake becoming eggbound can be.

Edit - put some of her old substrate in the new tank, and swap the hides she isn't using with her old ones.

If she hasn't passed the remaining eggs by the morning then i think she will most likely need a vet trip. Do you know of any reptile vets near you?

I am putting her old ones in with her an moving the new ones out with him, I do hope she paaes these eggs and is not eggbound, I dont know any retile vets near here but a look on the net will help there I have never needed a vet for them apart from now she is getting thinner.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  14:12:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where about are you situated? Chances are there may be somebody who could recommend one.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page