Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  11:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys have been such a support in our moving situation and I have another bombshell that is absolutely breaking my heart. If you are praying people, please pray for us. We found out this week that our little Nacho, our chihuahua, has a mitral valve endocardiosis (the inside of his heart is becoming smaller because of the thickening of the mitral valve) and a stage three (worse living case stage4) heart murmur. We went to have his teeth cleaned and they couldn't put him under because his little heart would stop so the vet in his kindness gave him a very small cat dose of relaxant. He could still fight a bit, but was very lazy. Since he was a puppy we thought he was having seizures and we would comfort him. Now we find out that they weren't seizures at all. His heart occasionally stops and he faints because of it. He is nine years old and we thought he would be traveling to the warm climate of Arizona with us. We don't see our little boy making a fourteen hour plane flight without tranqulizers having never been locked in a cage before. The remaining option is to enjoy our little boy for our remaining time here in Germany and euthanize him before the stresses of the move begin. His rabies shots are due in July, so we are thinking instead of those we'll let him go to sleep then. This is a VERY DIFFICULT decision to make since he is family to us. We've only hired baby sitters and he's never really stayed more than a couple of days in a kennel. Allowing him to live his last sufferings in the care of someone who he's not grown up with seems too cruel. The last few weeks have been horrible for me as it was and now this is breaking my heart. I know it is more merciful for him, but it is so difficult for us. As I said in the beginning, if you are praying people, please pray for us.

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  11:57:29  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I will pray for you and your little dog. I totally understand where you are at because I was in the same position last year, except I wasn't moving. I hand reared our Holly and she was my baby. She used to faint because her heart used to stop too. One day she collapsed in the vets surgery. The vet explained that the stress on her heart would be making life difficult for her and, although she wasn't necessarily in a lot of pain, the heart was getting weaker all time. Then she got to the stage where she took a lot longer to come round and she started crying out and the slightest thing would upset her. We knew then the time had come. We had to face it and do the kindest thing for her. It was the hardest thing I've ever done for my animals but I knew I had to let her go. I asked the vet to come to the house and Holly sat on my lap and we cuddled each other as the vet did his job. It may sound a strange thing to say but I felt a sense of calm and release as her little body went limp. I knew her pains had gone and I knew she was at peace now. Don't get me wrong, it hurt SO much and still does but it really is the kindest thing you can do.
I'm sure you wouldn't want your little boy to suffer the stress a move would cause and I know you will do the best for him. You will know when the time is right and you will take comfort from knowing he suffers no longer. The kindest task is always the most difficult.
I'm sorry if I've made lots of typing errors...it's not easy to see through so many tears.
God bless you, my heart goes out to you......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:08:02  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll pray for you and your dog..
I know how you feel..
I lost my dog, too.. Someone poisoned him..
I know it's a difficult situation but i believe you are doing the right thing..

Electra

Edited by - mozacchio on 01/04/2010 12:08:22
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:29:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry for you, i sort of understand how you are feeling as i lost my dog last year who we had had for 11 years so i literally grew up with her since i was 7 years old.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  14:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sending lots of love and hugs, we had to have our dog put to sleep last Nov, he was a shepherd and was only 12yrs old but his back legs had gone and was affecting his back passage, in himself he was fit and healthy apart from this one problem, he was part of our family and it was heartbreaking to make the decision but we had to do what was best for him and the family. Not the easiest decision to make but now know it was the best one for everyone!!

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  15:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im so so sorry to hear about Nacho, its heartbreaking having to make that decision, i had to make a similar decision regarding my dog once and it wasw very painful but at the same time part of me knew it was the right thing to do,
remember all the good times you have had together as a group - all the good times little Nacho has had whilst he has been a part of your family,
make the most of the time you have with him, get all the pics you can of him enjoying himself so you can look back and remember the happy times, dont focus on the bad times xx

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  16:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

remember the happy times, dont focus on the bad times xx

I think Hannah said it best

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  18:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are the greatest. Somehow I knew that I could depend on you for support.[quote]Originally posted by godzchild9

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  20:06:42  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just let us know if you want anymore support, it's never a problem helping somebody through a difficult time. Will keep you in our thoughts.

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  20:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
godzchild - i dont know what to say! after all thats happened, and now this? it just doesnt seem fair! But everything happens for a reason+you can, as hannah said, always remember the happy memories! Nothing can take those away!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  22:41:53  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh hun, i really feel for you. What rotten news on top of everything else you have gone though lately. My heart is breaking for you and please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Nacho has been blessed to have an owner who has cared for him as you have all these years. The fact that he has lived to 9 yrs old with this condition is testament to the excellent care and love he has received.
((((((hugs))))))

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  18:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. I've decided I'm going to check with one more vet.Explain what we're thinking and have him evaluate the other vets' notes and evalutate Nacho and see what he says. I don't want to put him down if we don't absolutely have to. I know that fourteen hour flight is an awful long flight and we also know that we are not going to leave him to live the last bits of his life with someone he doesn't know. But I'd like to have one more opinion so we know how to prepare over the coming months.

Edited by - n/a on 02/04/2010 18:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  05:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry Godzchild, and am typing this through tears as I had to have my dog - Woody - put to sleep yesterday....on Good Friday of all days. She had some sort of fit on Tuesday and never really came right. The frustrating thing is that it was simply a problem with her inner ear and it was making her unstable and loose balance, but it was also making her vomit and she wasnt eating or keeping down any water. Took her to the vet on Thursday and she was given an anti-sickness drug and we were told to bring her back in today if nothing had changed. Nothing did change and I sat there with her head in my lap, her shaking and trying to wag her tail....and she was whimpering and I just looked at my husband and said 'Enough'. So we rang the emergency vet and he took her there and stayed with her while she was put to sleep. I am not well and that dog has been by my side almost 24/7 since I got her 14yrs ago....but I have to stay strong for the kids. The house is so empty....

Sorry Godzchild, I didnt mean to talk like this, but I couldnt believe your post when I read it. I think you are definitely doing the right thing in getting the 2nd opinion, and if that vet agrees with the 1st then you know what you need to do. Nacho knows no other love than yours and adjusting to a new home would bring too much stress on his already broken heart. Maybe this is the way to bring a close to this chapter....can you imagine how you would have felt if you hadnt had his teeth cleaned, hadnt found out about his heart and he had died due to the stress of the flight? Let his last days with you be filled with joy and treasure every minute - I didnt get that with Woody, her last days were filled with us watching and waiting and hoping she would come right but she never did.

You know you are already in my prayers and just remember that in those times when we feel most alone, when God's footsteps are not on the sand next to ours....that is because he is carrying us. Paul wrote something along these lines 'I can keep on bearing all things through Him who constantly fills His strength into me'. Christ's strength, His power and His grace are sufficient to enable us to endure whatever comes our way. And when we cant feel that - that is when we just have to have faith and trust. God bless.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
godzchild9, i am so sorry to hear about little Nacho, my previous dog, Sophie, she had similar ailments and she had to be put to sleep over them, so i completely understand the pain you are going through right now.

hannahb and Skorps are completely right, remember the good times and savour every last second you spend with him as i know you will. it is never an easy task deciding to have a pet put down, but one that can save them alot of pain and suffering, and in my eyes that makes all the heart ache us humans go through seem worth it in a way.

i hope the check with the other Vet goes well, please keep us posted if you can. you will be in my prayers xx

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  15:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am soooo sorry to hear about your Woody. Our animals whether they be dogs, cats, birds or snakes, become part of our family and it hurts just as bad to lose one. You will be in my prayers also, Dear. Thank you for sharing.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  04:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I am soooo sorry to hear about your Woody. Our animals whether they be dogs, cats, birds or snakes, become part of our family and it hurts just as bad to lose one. You will be in my prayers also, Dear. Thank you for sharing.

I do hope you didnt mind me saying all that Godzchild, after I had done it I felt as though I had hijacked your thread a bit - I was just so shocked to read what you were going through with Nacho considering I had just had to make that decision about Woody .

It is hard dealing with those who have the opinion that 'it is just a dog' and in some ways my OH is like that....although he does acknowledge that for him and the kids Woody was 'just a dog', whereas for me it was so much more as I probably spent more time with her than I did with either him or my kids each day.

A friend sent me this, and I know reading it brought me to a place of peace....IF you have to make that awful decision then I hope it does the same for you.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears ***** forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 04/04/2010 04:53:19
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  05:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kellog... I was looking for the rainbow-bridge to send but couldnt find it, so glad you did. There's another one called If It Should Be...

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  06:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog, I don't mind your saying anything.This is an open forum and it helps to know how others handle similar situations. No, you didn't hijack my thread. It was A thread...not particularly mine.The poem is beautiful. I believe that our creator God gave our animals the ability to love us in their own way. I also believe that since that is the case, then "All Dogs Go To Heaven". Thank you for the poem.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog

Edited by - n/a on 05/04/2010 06:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  12:32:57  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*hugs*

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  19:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found out some interesting possibilities. Our nurse at the school where I work also has a dog with heart problems. She suggested that I put the travel bed beside his regular bed and put his heating pad and sheepskin in his travel bed. I came home today to find Nacho voluntarily sleeping in the travel bed. (Continuing to pray)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  04:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

Found out some interesting possibilities. Our nurse at the school where I work also has a dog with heart problems. She suggested that I put the travel bed beside his regular bed and put his heating pad and sheepskin in his travel bed. I came home today to find Nacho voluntarily sleeping in the travel bed. (Continuing to pray)

That certainly sounds positive Godzchild, and it is a good idea to get Nacho used to what he will be travelling in for all those hours....but....the worry is not really whether he will be comfortable, it will be whether his heart will stand the strain.

When I came back from South Africa we sent 2 dogs and 1 cat ahead of us by 3 months, so they then had 3 months left of quarantine to finish by the time we arrived. My dog, Laska (a fully pedigreed Samoyed/miniature poodle - owner bred both breeds as show animals and a kid left a door open, woops ) was never afraid of thunderstorms before and we used to have some major ones in SA. But once we moved here she became terrified of thunder, gun shots, fireworks, hot air balloons, anything that made a loud noise....and the only thing we can put it down to is what she experienced being in the hold of the plane - where the noise must be so much louder than anything they have ever experienced before. Unfortunately that is not something you can prepare them for.

Sorry to sound negative , but I know that you must try and stay realistic....even when that reality hurts.

Have you got an appointment with a vet for a 2nd opinion yet?

You know I will keep praying, for Nacho and for you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000