Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  23:48:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome to the forums, i got my first corn almost 2 weeks ago now and have found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and plenty of friendly people readily wanting to share their expertese. Eric looks like a gorgeous snake cant wait to see what he looks like when he gets older.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
hey and welcome
hes lovely - looks so cute using your son as a climbing frame!

Ooops, he kept coming back to me Hannah and my son demanded to know why, so I had to admit he'd probably picked up more of my scent with me being the one changing his water and cleaning his poo out!

quote:
and congrats on giving him a good start with you
A lot of that credit must go to this site as it was one of the first places I stumbled across when researching and gave me all the info I needed to hopefully give him a long and happy home.

quote:
Excuses? Me? I don't know what your talking about lol. It seems we may be along the same lines, I like Butter, caramel, anery, ghost, lavender. I am really taken with the motley markings as well.

Unfortunately I can also be a dog bore. It comes with being a foster carer and having various dogs coming through the house lol.

Well I actually quite like dogs, and my son always wanted one but it wouldn't be fair for me to get one with being out all day every day. So when he suggested a cute little snakey it seemed the ideal solution. But I dont say to the dog owners at work "Please dont talk about your dogs coz I haven't got one" so how very dare they suggest I dont give them info on Erics progress, lol.

quote:
Hey and welcome to the forums, i got my first corn almost 2 weeks ago now and have found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and plenty of friendly people readily wanting to share their expertese. Eric looks like a gorgeous snake cant wait to see what he looks like when he gets older.

Thanks Danny, yes it IS a useful friendly site and may be interesting to see the difference/similarities in the progress our snakes make, with getting them around the same time.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all

My two sons have just got corn snake for Xmas , Jeffery and Cedric, They named them so I cant be blamed for the names, lol.

I think this is a great site for the new keeper, We will load some pics on in the next few days.

I do have a question if someone could give some advice regarding the time spent for a young hatchling in a seperate small container , I have had conflicting suggestions that they should be kept in the smaller container for up to a year and other suggested that 2/3 months would be ok.They each have a 36" viv to live in with heat mat,hides etc.

Thanks to any one who can help.

Regards

Jonah (New Grandfather)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jonah,

I would suggest you start a new thread with your question, so the other more experienced members see it asap. But from what I've read here, and been told 36" is probably going to be intimidating for a hatchling.

Our Eric is in an 18" faunarium and looks tiny in there (he's approx 19"), even tho we've put lots of extras in to help him feel more secure moving around.

Edited to add... I was told Eric would probably be ok in the 18" faun for approximately a year, depending on how fast he grows.

Welcome!

Edited by - n/a on 11/01/2010 22:20:49
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:24:27  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonah

Hi to all

My two sons have just got corn snake for Xmas , Jeffery and Cedric, They named them so I cant be blamed for the names, lol.

I think this is a great site for the new keeper, We will load some pics on in the next few days.

I do have a question if someone could give some advice regarding the time spent for a young hatchling in a seperate small container , I have had conflicting suggestions that they should be kept in the smaller container for up to a year and other suggested that 2/3 months would be ok.They each have a 36" viv to live in with heat mat,hides etc.

Regards

Jonah (New Grandfather)

it depends on there growth rate really. but if you start a new topic you will get more answers

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site Matts Mum! And may i add what great taste you have, not only in Snakes, but boys names too My Matt is only 5 and a real little Monkey

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Welcome to the site Matts Mum! And may i add what great taste you have, not only in Snakes, but boys names too My Matt is only 5 and a real little Monkey

Thanks Tizzy,
My Matt is 7, and the extensive research I've carried out on boys named Matt seems to point to conclusive evidence that they grow into, not out of their monkey traits!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:54:10  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im a matt and im a monkey at 23

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

im a matt and im a monkey at 23

Ooops, well there you go!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  05:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matts_Mum

quote:
hey and welcome
hes lovely - looks so cute using your son as a climbing frame!

Ooops, he kept coming back to me Hannah and my son demanded to know why, so I had to admit he'd probably picked up more of my scent with me being the one changing his water and cleaning his poo out!

Have got the same problem with both my snakes, especially Kellog. I am sure it is because I was the only one to deal with him for the first 13 weeks we had him (due to feeding problems) and therefore he got used to me first. With both of them I am the one that does the daily change of water and sorting substrate - surprise surprise - so it is my smell that is in their viv. But it has caused issues with my 12yr old and even with my OH !

quote:
and congrats on giving him a good start with you

A lot of that credit must go to this site as it was one of the first places I stumbled across when researching and gave me all the info I needed to hopefully give him a long and happy home.

That is what we are here for and it is great getting such good feedback showing that this site is achieving what is was set-up to do !

quote:
Originally posted by jonah

Hi to all

Regards

Jonah (New Grandfather)

Welcome to the forum Adrian. Congratulations to your sons on getting Jeffery and Cedric for Christmas. As SexyChef suggested post a topic in the Corn Snake General Keeping section regarding the best size of container and then you can get some expert answers. Corns are secretive animals and would only come out in the open in the wild to hunt...so in captivity it is best to keep them in smaller sized fauns/vivs and provide them with 2 hides and logs and fake plants to hide away with. They will feel less stressed and will settle in well.

I do hope you were told the one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the 1st week to allow them time to recover from the stress of the move and to get used to their new environement. If you havent done this it may be wise to do it now....I know exactly how frustrating this week can be, especially for kids, but it really is what is best for your snakes.

Also post your own Welcome topic! That way we can welcome you, Jeffery and Cedric properly !! You will also get some good info like learning about the one-week rule!

Looking forward to seeing pics of Jeffrey and Cedric, and getting to know you better.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 12/01/2010 05:23:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  19:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful colors.
quote:

Hi,

New here, and to snake keeping, but my son was adamant he HAD to have a snake. We've only had baby Eric for a week and a half, but love him to bits.

So I'll no doubt be popping in here for tips and advice.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  19:48:14  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks peeps,

I would've invested in a snake along time ago if I'd realised how many hugs, kisses and "I love you's" I was gonna get in return... from Matt, not Eric, lol.

Eric seems to be settling in a little, he isn't making a dash for it every time we go near him, he'll come over and sniff at our hands, and just lazily go to his bowl for a drink of water even with our hand in the faun.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  01:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks peeps,

I would've invested in a snake along time ago if I'd realised how many hugs, kisses and "I love you's" I was gonna get in return... from Matt, not Eric, lol.

Eric seems to be settling in a little, he isn't making a dash for it every time we go near him, he'll come over and sniff at our hands, and just lazily go to his bowl for a drink of water even with our hand in the faun.

It is amazing watching them drink, itnt it. I couldnt get over the amount of corn owners who had never seen there snake drink. Kellog will even drink when I am putting him back in his viv so I am still holding him and I not only get to see it I get to 'feel' it too!

Sounds like Eric is settling in really well so you are obviously doing all the right things - keep it up!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  18:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

It is amazing watching them drink, itnt it. I couldnt get over the amount of corn owners who had never seen there snake drink. Kellog will even drink when I am putting him back in his viv so I am still holding him and I not only get to see it I get to 'feel' it too!

Sounds like Eric is settling in really well so you are obviously doing all the right things - keep it up!

xxx

Yep, ace to watch and must be really cool to feel it too, hopefully one day we will get that opportunity.

Edited to add... Woo hoo, had Eric out earlier, he was wrapped around one of my hands so I held up his water dish with the other hand and he stuck his face straight in for a pretty long drink. He ended up half round my hand, half on the dish, then slithered his whole body thru the water and back onto my hand.

Edited by - n/a on 13/01/2010 21:52:37
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  22:26:34  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is brilliant. I haven't seen Alice drink yet butI hope I get chance soon.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  14:28:26  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to forum matts mum lovely colours on your snake i must admit. I have to agree with you about this site for the information about corn snakes and the forum as well this is the best site i have come across for information and also the care sheets as well. I hope they keep up the good work

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000