Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  20:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its normally warmer in winter but some very inconsiderate builders knocked some of my glass panes out making it rediculously cold and i just never had the chance to get the heater back up..

the rubs are on a desk top with tich card and paper inbetween the heatmats and the surface of the desk and then have a towel around the bottom just to keep it toasty and then i usually put a slightly thinner towel over the top to keep the heat in..but next year it wont be like that cause il have a heated bedroom

neither of my heatmats are affected and neither is the heat mat my king is using.. if i were you id go to your rep shop and see if they can give you a new one while they test your current ones?
my rep shop let me have a new stat as i thought it was broken while they tested it (i paid for it and they then said if there was a problem with my stat then they would refund me with credit in store) might be worthwhile seeing if they will do that for you

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

the rubs are on a desk top with tich card and paper inbetween the heatmats and the surface of the desk and then have a towel around the bottom just to keep it toasty and then i usually put a slightly thinner towel over the top to keep the heat in..but next year it wont be like that cause il have a heated bedroom
quote:

The difference from you to lr2188uk is that you insulate your tank with towls which will help keep the heat in but would surely have temperature flux if you did not with -5 conditions

Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tried the towel thing, one loosely o nthe top and one around the bottom, temperature has risen by 1.5*C in 10 mins!

thanks very much! Hopefully that will keep the tank warm enough through the night!
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  15:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much guys! I think it's now fixed!

Ive wrapped a towel around the base of the tank, the temperature rose to 30*C pretty easily, once it got to 30 I turn the stat down, it dropped to 29.1 and now its on the way back up!.

Still one small problem... I put a mercury thermometer i nthe hot end and thats reading nearly 40*C on the substrate! now ive been told these are very innacurate, but im still worrying, especially considering the snake hasnt moved from the cold end of the tank for about 12 hours now. Am i right to trust the thermostat and the digi thermometer? They are both about the same, its just this mercury thermometer and the fact the sanke is in the cold end thats worrying me..

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  15:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad the towel thing worked for you,

is the mercury thermometer in the same location as the stat probe and thermometer?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  07:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does the thermostat plug into the heat mat? so it can adjust the tempature. this is bothering me so much because this is the only thing stopping me from buying my snake lol i just have to perfectly prepared because i wanna have the perfect new home for my snake

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  05:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tidus

does the thermostat plug into the heat mat? so it can adjust the tempature. this is bothering me so much because this is the only thing stopping me from buying my snake lol i just have to perfectly prepared because i wanna have the perfect new home for my snake

You should be able to get a thermostat that attaches to the heatmat, as this is the only way that it can then control the heat of the heatmat. BUT you cannot totally trust the thermostat and therefore you must also have digital thermometers in the viv so you can keep an eye on the temps and ensure that the thermostat is working correctly.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000