Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the mat cannot get to a decent temperature when plugged in without the stat, then it's more likely a faulty mat than the stat.

What is the mat on/under?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  09:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mat is on a teatowel, and is directly under the tank.

I put a peice of shiny paper wrapped in card under the heatmat to try and direct the heat upwards but no different.

Also, last night the mat when kerput anyway, poor snake has spent all night in a freezing tank with teatowels and bathtowels wrapped around the viv to keep him warm.

Im getting a new mat and stat today to see if that makes any difference and im also going to get some polystyrene to insulate the tank from underneath.

Edited by - lr2188uk on 03/01/2010 09:36:42
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, ive been to the shop and got a new heatmat and a peice of polystyrene, polystyrene at the bottom then heatmat then tank, the probe for the stat and the probe for the thermometer elastic banded together in the corner of the viv right at the bottom almost touching the viv right behind the hide, temperature seems to have stopped rising at its at 27.4 with the stat turned right up, its a habistat 100W on/off stat....

I dont see what else i can do to raise the temperature, my house is pretty cold but I didnt think this would effect the heatmats temps rising..

Anymore Ideas? is this temperature ok?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it's got to 27*C+ then it might still gradually creep up but it's adequate hun

the room temperature mainly affects the temp in the cool end of the viv rather than the heatmat which is a 'contact-heater' ie. it heats whatever is sat on it...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my dad to get me some fuses which I'm going to replace in both mat and stat, see what that does..

Good to hear youv'e fixed it.
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its now dropped to 26.9.... Its really frustrating me I don't really want it on the edge because when it gets cold it seems to be effected... Can i buy a larger wattage thermostat to bring the temperature up more? I dont understand why it wont go to 30*C anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have you got any photos?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you want a picture of? The tank or the heat set up?

I have a camera but the pictures arent great.

My set up is the thermostat tuned up as high as it will go, (33) then the heat mat under the tank on a peice of polystyrene, not all of it though, some of it is protruding out because the tank isnt big enough for the whole heat mat.

About quarter to half an inch of aspen chippings, one hide in the warm, one in the cold, the probe for the stat and the mat rubberbanded together and placed in the substrate pretty much touching the glass over the top of the heatmat.

Hope this can help... im all out of ideas.
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  17:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to keep banging on about this guys.

Ive now tanken all the substrate out in the warm end apart from 2mm at the bottom, you can almost see the heatmat through he bottom in certain bits.

Temperature was at 28.5 this morning, I thought ideal, now its dropped as low as 23, its on 24 at the moment but with the stat turned right up there is no way of raising it!

What am I doing wrong? why can i only get 28 degrees anyway... I need to say my house is REALLY cold, the tank was in the window but ive now moved it onto the floor to see if that makes any difference.

The snake seems very active still but I want this temperature where it should be.... 28 to 31, not 24 to 28.

ANY ideas we havent already tried will be greatly appreciated.

PS, my reptile shop said to buy a heatmat for the back of the tank, i didnt see the point due to the heat going through their bellies and only the substrate being warm, but I dont know.

Whaddya think?
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this will sounds a silly question but what material is the viv made out of? if you've already said and i've missed it then i apolagise - memory like a goldfish!

i hvae one of my royals in a RUB and one in a plastic faun..the faun is brill with the heat - can get it to the right temp no problem.. the rub is driving me insane - temps are never quite hot enough so had to go and buy a separate mat and stat so i can get the temp right - iv got the stat pretty much maxed out now and its finally stable..

with the on off stats you will find that the temp drops before the stat turns back on again.. if you can get the probes touching the floor of the viv then it might help a bit more but apart from that im at a loss as to what else to suggest..

sorry i cant help more

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  18:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I changed the fuses, and if anything, made it worse.
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  19:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, the probes are now right on the floor, and its 25 and rising slowly, Thankyou for that, the tank is made out of plastic, im unsure which type, sorry.

Ive never seen this stat turn off, its never reached the temperature to require it to.... Im at a loss, putting the probes on the floor seems to be helping, I'll update with a final temperature.

Thankyou very much!
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  19:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to 26.1, now dropped to 25.8, the thermostat hasnt gone off at all! What is going on with this tank! Is the snake likely to not eat his first feed tomorrow with temperatures like this? :S
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  20:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing i can think of and i could be wrong is that when you have the central heating on in the house this circulates the heat around your house and helps the heat mat reaching the desired temperature. E.g Heat mat dose not have to work as hard.

When the temperature of your house drops e.g central heating off.
The room you have your snake in becomes too cold and the heat mat cant sustain the desired temperature on its own in a cold room.

Hope you get it sorted. I will test mine tomorrow and check the difference in temperature.UPDATE 27.8 30.1 C/H ON

Edited by - n/a on 04/01/2010 21:08:39
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  20:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, i may buy another thermometer to put in the house to see the difference, the heating is always on as high as it will go, its storage heaters and theyre not great to be honest, but without it the house would be the same temperature as the bnathroom... 5*C!

The temp of nthe tank at the moment is 26.4, its NEARLY there but its so tempermental and controllable!
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:37:03  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know it doesn't help the immediate situation but one thing I find handy to have is a little liquid mercury thermometer, I bought a couple when I got my aquarium, only a couple of quid and the spare one I use to measure temps in any of my animal enclosures if I think there is a problem, which currrentl there is, well, I just don't think the digi thermometers are reading the correct temps, will be posting more on this dilemma shortly. But I find liquid therm's to be loads more accurate than any others I have used. And also, lay it flat on the enclosure floor as if it is standing it can alter the readngs by a couple of degrees.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 04/01/2010 23:49:06
Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  09:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try that, thanks... Something weird happened last night and I have no idea why, before I went to bed i turned the light off on the tank (which lowered the temperature by 4 degrees) but as i did it the temperature reading shot up from 26.9 to 32.0 just for a brief second, this confused me ALOT.

It happened as I pulled the plug out for the light, any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  14:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temp droped from 27.8 to 26.8 and 30.1 to 29 when C/H was off.
And my house is well insulated so if you have a cold room that might be the problem.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  15:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you have a light in the tank? what kind of light is it and where is it placed in regards to the probes? and is it left on all the time?

sorry about all the q's! was thinking it could be affecting the readings in some way..

I have a cold room - was reading -5 last night but ive got a heatmat in both the warm and the cool ends (set to diff temps obviously ) but my mat works fine given how cold the surrounding air is so I doubt its that affecting the mat and stat..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  19:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Thankyou for that! I appreciate it

HannahB, I only have a lightbulb in the centre of the tank with a guard on it, its only a small one but it provides about 2*C of heat ive worked out so i leave it constantly on.

-5 thats mental! and very interesting the fact yours isnt affected... Maybe another heatmat in the cold end? If the cold end is as cold as my room its well below 20*C, that may be causing it.

I may try that instead.
Thankyou!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000