Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  18:57:18  Show Profile
im sorry but I wouldnt ever willingly house my snakes together.. id rather take up more room with individual rubs and fauns than come home one day and find one really stressed or worse injured..or my biggest fear finding one dead knowing that it could have been avoided..

theres not much luck about it in my opinion.. if you willingly house young snakes together (talking less than a year) then you are asking for something to happen - snakes cant tell us when they are stessed and what people see as cute when they are curled up together is them competing for the best spots, we can only go by what we see and assume it is normal behaviour but one of them might well be showing signs of stress..

i know several members on here do cohabit including GP which is up to her but i know that she monitors them very carefully so that they are all matched up in terms of age and weight ect, I also know that she does then have the supplies to separate them if something terrible were to happen

------------------------------

with regards to small snakes in big vivs at the end of the day its up to the owner but personally i keep mine in fauns relevant to their size, when they outgrow their fauns they will get rubs that will be upgraded in size as and when needed..

when i got my first corn i was advised by the shop to get a massive 3 x 1 glass viv for him when he was only about 12inches long.. he never ever came out of his hides and even with extra hides and enough aspen to burrow in he never budged..
following advice on here I got him a large faun and now hes always out and about - i do think that the other viv i had was far too big for him and that he was too nervy to venture out and about

i know its all personal experience but id rather my corns be in smaller housing and being out and about than being in a big viv and possibly stressed out about it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  08:48:33  Show Profile
I have the right equipment to house them together or not together I am going to house them together when there a year old they they both weight the same a One is 1-2 mm longer. But I'm going to try them together and if anything goes wrong then I will split the 4ft into a 2ft. it's as easy as that and if they out grow the 2/2ft tank then I'll get a 3/2ft and put one in there and open out the 4ft again. Ps I live is a darkish flat now where I have the tank there's not much light so if I don't have a light on in the tank I won't see them. But what I want to ask is if I put a bulb in will the tank get to hot.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  16:26:01  Show Profile
With regards to all of this-

I am finding it very frustrating atm to read a post from someone requiring advice, only for them to then completely disregard it and do what the h**l they like anyway- what is the point in joining a forum if thats what your going to do?

I don't mean to have a rant, but I have just finished reading a post from another member much along the same lines- 10 knowledgeable people on here have given the same piece of advice, but it has been completely ignored on the word of 1 "expert."

If this forum was dedicated to car maintenance if wouldn't get me so riled up, but its a forum dedicated to ANIMALS for goodness sake! I find it really upsetting when welfare or health advice is ignored (seemingly) for the sake of the keepers pocket or conscience. It seems every time I come on here there are more and more posts about these subjects, more and more stupid comments and more and more idiotic keeping.

It has got to the stage where I don't want to be a part of this forum anymore, its too infuriating to see such willful ignorance flaunted in the face of others.

I will get down off my soapbox now.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  16:34:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tango and mango

I have the right equipment to house them together or not together I am going to house them together when there a year old they they both weight the same a One is 1-2 mm longer. But I'm going to try them together and if anything goes wrong then I will split the 4ft into a 2ft. it's as easy as that and if they out grow the 2/2ft tank then I'll get a 3/2ft and put one in there and open out the 4ft again. Ps I live is a darkish flat now where I have the tank there's not much light so if I don't have a light on in the tank I won't see them. But what I want to ask is if I put a bulb in will the tank get to hot.

you need a different stat for a light..think its a dimmer stat,
the main MUST with a bulb of any sort is a guard.. on the forum we cannot express quite enough how important a guard is.. if its unguarded then this can happen..
(please be aware though that the pics are quite graphic so please dont read while eating your tea! also i know its a royal but it could happen to a corn aswell..it probably has somewhere..)

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/404798-prepare-horrified.html

i will be honest and say that i hope you change your mind about housing them together, regardless of them being the same size or not I think it is a big risk that you dont have to take..

i hope that if you do decide to go against our advice and house them together, that you know your snakes well enough to see the signs that one of them is stressed..

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  18:39:04  Show Profile
What about useing a heat rock instead of a heat mat ?? If not does the mat have to be pn the floor can I pin it up one side of the viv and they will get the heat from that ??? And if I can get 2 cheap 3 foot vivs I will not keep them together but I live on the isle of Wight so there's not alot over hear
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  18:41:47  Show Profile
What about useing a heat rock instead of a heat mat ?? If not does the mat have to be pn the floor can I pin it up one side of the viv and they will get the heat from that ??? And if I can get 2 cheap 3 foot vivs I will not keep them together but I live on the isle of Wight so there's not alot over hear
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  18:46:02  Show Profile
No to heat rock- deadly for snakes
and no to mat on the wall- corns like there heat from beneath.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  18:46:39  Show Profile
heat rocks arent really suitable for snakes - they could curl up on it and if its too hot they could get burnt like the royal,
the mat is best put under the substrate although you can put a piece of lino over it first so that the snake cant lie directly on it
3 foot vivs will be fine when they are bigger - keeping them separately will be so much better for them

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  19:19:02  Show Profile
Ok I'm going to keep them in a 2f/2f if they grow more that 4ft I will put one in a 3ft and one in a 3ft ps have you got facebook
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  19:25:54  Show Profile
Oh and how much should I feed a 6 month old ATM there on once every Friday night now loads of people say they should be fed every two weeks ????
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  19:29:41  Show Profile
one of mine is coming up to 6months now and hes on a regular sized fuzzy every 5/6 days, what are you feeding them?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  19:40:58  Show Profile
Mine are on pinkys :-)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  20:11:55  Show Profile
try feeding them two pinkies next time - does one pinkie leave much of a bulge?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  20:27:26  Show Profile
Quite a lump yes I don't want to over feed them will 2 each be to much ???
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  20:56:02  Show Profile
if theres quite a lump then keep them on one for a big longer.. maybe bump the feeding pattern up to once every 5 or 6 days

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  21:21:05  Show Profile
I don't know if it's coz there new etc etc but I have not seen a poo in ether of them I have had them a week today :-) x
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  21:25:51  Show Profile
when were they last fed? they tend to poop about 2-3 days after feeding, you start to notice their body rhythms after a while

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  21:42:00  Show Profile
Last fed Friday, and I cleaned them out yesterday and didn't see anything?? :-) they seem ok they sliver about and climb and stuff and drink etc etc they eat well as soon as the pinkys are in there in there bellys as soon as the see / smell them :-) x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  10:39:05  Show Profile
i am not having a go or any tink but how comes every one i have spoke to or seen on this forum are so against put 2 corns togehter when the reptile shops say they got to be at leats a year old there not saying any tink like what you guys are surely they know what there talking bout they handle the every day y they not telling me there gonna try eat each othere or get stressed with each other ?????

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  15:43:54  Show Profile
Its a marketing technique, they want to sell you an animal without the added cost and loss of space associated with a whole new setup.

There is no need to take a solitary animal and force it to live with another, especially as an inexperienced keeper.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000