Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  15:22:38  Show Profile
Hay I'm new hear and I'm getting two corns tomoz there only babys but when they get old enough can I put them in a 4foot viv that I have split into two bits 2foot each side now is that ok for them to live in?? :-)

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  16:41:43  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message
Will be a bit small for them really. Each snake when fully grown should be in a 3 foot by 2 foot viv.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  17:10:40  Show Profile
Ok thanks when is the best time to put a corn in a 4 foot tank because its in a 1foot by 1 foot at the moment now would it be ok to put it in a 4 foot when it grows out off the 1 by 1 foot ??? :-)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  18:04:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Each snake when fully grown should be in a 3 foot by 2 foot viv.

sorry i totally disagree with above..........none of mine are in 3'x2' vivs.........! its rubbish!!

as a general guide:
length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake

so a 2ft x 2ft viv (which the OP is suggesting) could comfortably house a 4ft snake so realistically you're looking at another 3 years before using that viv is a suitable option for your new snakes.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/12/2009 18:07:39
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  18:06:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Tango and mango

its in a 1 foot by 1 foot at the moment now would it be ok to put it in a 4 foot when it grows out off the 1 by 1 foot ??? :-)

so your snake will need an upgrade when it's about 2 feet long........
and no to putting it straight into the 4 footer as you'll potentially create problems with handling and feeding and stress the poor snake to death.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  18:11:56  Show Profile
Thanks lol :-) like I said there in a 1 by 1 at the mo but is that an ok size for them coz there male and female and what Im thinking about doing in a due years is getting two 3 foot vivs and puting them on top off each other :-) How often do I feed them coz I think at the mo the pet man is feeding them once a week??
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  20:55:29  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
Hey GP, quick question on housing size if you would please. I read from another source that with housing, the snake should be able to stretch at least a third of it's body length, as in not coiled up, (if I remember) because they only have one properly functioning lung. So if the housing is too small they wouldn't be able to stretch out enough and can possibley cause respiratory problems. So if a 4' snake was in a 2' x 2' viv would the snake not be able to stretch out properly? Or is this not true?

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  21:09:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

the snake should be able to stretch at least a third of it's body length,...So if a 4' snake was in a 2' x 2' viv

you kinda answered your own question there hun, a 4ft snake would be able to stretch out half it's length in a 2' by 2', and a half is more than a third.........

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  21:12:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Thanks lol :-) like I said there in a 1 by 1 at the mo but is that an ok size for them coz there male and female and what Im thinking about doing in a due years is getting two 3 foot vivs and puting them on top off each other :-) How often do I feed them coz I think at the mo the pet man is feeding them once a week??

if they're less than 6-9 months old they really should be split up immediately to avoid cannibalism.........
if they're less than 3 years old they really should be split up to avoid premature breeding, not really harmful for the male but it could potentially kill the female..........

how old are the snakes in question?

2 stacked 3 footers sounds like a nice long term plan though

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  21:14:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
and to anyone currently co-habiting snakes or thinking of doing it in the future i'd recommend reading this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

yes it's a good few pages long BUT it's definitely worth spending the time reading it to make an informed decision........

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  22:06:02  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
Cheers GP, yeah I kinda phrased the question wrong, lol. I guess what I wanted to know was whether or not the respiratory problems was true ot not. As a new keeper I try to read as much info from as many different sources, but alot of th etime you never see evidence to substantiate the fact. I only read about the respiratory problems and so far haven't found any source that can vouch that it is true.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  22:29:05  Show Profile
Ok what if I had a 4 foot viv and blocked off half the viv so it turns into a 2 foot now when the two snakes out grow there tanks can I put them both male and female in the two foot and one they out grow that I can take out the parting and then there both in a 4 foot how does that sound and is it a good idea lol
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  11:37:06  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Each snake when fully grown should be in a 3 foot by 2 foot viv.

sorry i totally disagree with above..........none of mine are in 3'x2' vivs.........! its rubbish!!

as a general guide:
length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake

so a 2ft x 2ft viv (which the OP is suggesting) could comfortably house a 4ft snake so realistically you're looking at another 3 years before using that viv is a suitable option for your new snakes.

Sorry my bad! I dont know why I said 3x2 I guess the first thing that sprung to my mind was most people use 3x2 viv's.
I did slap myself when I read your post as I know the rule of thumb for viv sizes and just did not think at the time. Thanks for correcting me!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:24:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sorry DM, no offence meant

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:27:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Ok what if I had a 4 foot viv and blocked off half the viv so it turns into a 2 foot now when the two snakes out grow there tanks can I put them both male and female in the two foot.... how does that sound and is it a good idea lol

again, how old are the snakes......?

cos if they're less than 3 years old you're seriously risking their health!!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:42:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

..I only read about the respiratory problems and so far haven't found any source that can vouch that it is true.

i can't say i've seen anything to validate that, personally. respiratory infections are commonly bacterial, sometimes viral, and are often linked to husbandry issues such as wrong temps, inappropriate substrate, lack of ventilation or poor hygiene.

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:45:52  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message
quote:

sorry DM, no offence meant

No offence taken! I would prefer to be corrected than give out the wrong advice!
Go to Top of Page

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:47:34  Show Profile
not read all this post....but my corn was born around march this year..and its nearly 2' long now and it has been in a 3'viv for past few months and it seems to be doing very well....eating, drink and exploring great, has plenty of dark places to hide...places to climb...everyone has an opinion and no one really knows everything i guess...so its personal experience

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:35:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
so you got lucky

i advise on 'best practice' where luck isn't essential for the well-being of the snake............

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  05:47:03  Show Profile
quote:

so you got lucky

i advise on 'best practice' where luck isn't essential for the well-being of the snake............

Wish people would listen to you and the forum advise more often GP...it is so frustrating when the advice is there from extremely knowledgeable people like yourself yet owners would rather do it their own way or leave it to luck! Surely you dont get into a car without learning to drive and hope you dont crash!! If you dont then that is just lucky!! But everyone has to learn how to drive and take a test before being allowed on the roads as an 'offical' driver - sometimes I wish it was the same with owning a snake!! Sorry....rant over!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  18:19:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cheekygit

not read all this post....but my corn was born around march this year..and its nearly 2' long now and it has been in a 3'viv for past few months and it seems to be doing very well....eating, drink and exploring great, has plenty of dark places to hide...places to climb...everyone has an opinion and no one really knows everything i guess...so its personal experience

ok now this is ok my mate who I got these from has been breeding for years now and never had problems with size or tanks etc etc or puting snakes together I have been told by loads of people it's ok as long as there's loads of places to hide and you feed them apart there fine. And it's not if your lucky it's if your unlucky all snakes are diff and grow up diffrent ways that's life
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000