Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  17:49:42  Show Profile
I have decided to make a progresion topic on both my corns that i have housed together. Now i know alot off people that would not do this and be very against what i have doing. I will be keeping all the info on the 2 corns on here to let every one know how its going (weight, length, eating ect) and i will aslo try post videos off them together pics ect her is and info file off them today

BOD = (May 2009)
Morph = Hypo carolina and beleaved to be a amel correct my if wrong
Sex = Hypo (Male), Amel (Male not sure will get it checked soon)
Weight = Hypo (82 grams) Amel (62 Grams) as off 18/12/2009
Length = Hypo (35 inches) Amel (26 inches) EST as off 18/12/2009

i will be geting some pics up very soon off them and the setup off the tank

In the tank is 7 hides, 3 on the warm side and 4 on the cold side with two water bowls on each side

if i have missed any thing please do say thanks

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:05:25  Show Profile
If they are both males be very carefull. Although I don't house corns together, the place I work DID house two corns together after being given them by the RSPCA and being advised it was OK. During the cold spell last year they started a courtship dance. I haven't been able to find two other corns doing this, but have seen other species on the web. They entwined around each other and started to vibrate. Then one started to bite the other viciously. Luckily I managed to separate them before too much damage was done, but one had some nasty bites on it. I dread to think what would have happend if I left them together. These were two adult snakes of similar size and weight who had lived together for about 4 years with no problems. Although I was not originally employed to look after the animals, and have little prior experience, after much debate I have now had the welfare of the animals added to my job description and can honestly say I would never consider housing two corns together again. I know you have read all the information other more experienced people have given but I feel I should let you know about my personal (and quite scary) experience.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:09:28  Show Profile
hypo carolina?
sure its not just a hypo? iv never come across a hypo carolina before..
you dont want a water bowl in the warm side - will create too much humidity

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:09:58  Show Profile
thx for letting me know do you have any advice on the vivarium how i could set it up for 2 corns or is it fine how it is??

if i ever did notice that happen i would spit them up right away as i already got an other viv setup and ready to go my gf is always about and there is always some one home watcing them

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:10:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Carolina means normal.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:11:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
2 corns into one don't go.....

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:13:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

hypo carolina?
sure its not just a hypo? iv never come across a hypo carolina before..
you dont want a water bowl in the warm side - will create too much humidity

its just off the heat mat the humidity range is normally between 70 and 80. when i bought my corns i was told they where hypo carolina and red candy cane but i posted on the morpth section that my red candy cane is infact a amel so it might be wrong as well i will get pics up soon and would love to know what he is i beleave he is a normal/wild

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:16:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

2 corns into one don't go.....

i have seen them pics before and hope this wont happen if any stress ocours i would spit them up

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:28:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

If they are both males be very carefull. Although I don't house corns together, the place I work DID house two corns together after being given them by the RSPCA and being advised it was OK. During the cold spell last year they started a courtship dance. I haven't been able to find two other corns doing this, but have seen other species on the web. They entwined around each other and started to vibrate. Then one started to bite the other viciously. Luckily I managed to separate them before too much damage was done, but one had some nasty bites on it. I dread to think what would have happend if I left them together. These were two adult snakes of similar size and weight who had lived together for about 4 years with no problems. Although I was not originally employed to look after the animals, and have little prior experience, after much debate I have now had the welfare of the animals added to my job description and can honestly say I would never consider housing two corns together again. I know you have read all the information other more experienced people have given but I feel I should let you know about my personal (and quite scary) experience.

did you notice any bit marks after?? so i know what to expext if one was to bit

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  18:36:50  Show Profile
Yes, but I honestly believe if I was not there at the time one could have killed the other. Some of the places I saw him bite were not obvious- tiny pin *****s. The only bad ones were where he'd got a good hold. I would personally NEVER risk it and have seen a marked improvement in the temprement and feeding of the boys since they were seperated. I wish I had taken an interest in ours sooner and split them BEFORE it happend. Still feel very guilty about it.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  19:16:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

i have seen them pics before and hope this wont happen if any stress ocours i would spit them up

Like the stress when one is digesting the other?

I'm sure that as long as you hope it won't happen then you'll be fine....

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  19:19:25  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
You can never be so sure if one is going to eat the other i agree with BE on this , Lets say you had to go out for a few hours and your clearly not going to be watching them 24/7 they could easly eat each other when ever they wanted i would advise you to split them up.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  21:20:45  Show Profile
here are some pictures off them :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  03:54:07  Show Profile
quote:

The problem is that once you see the signs of stress the snakes have probably been stressed a while and it is only just becoming evident...and may be too late. Why rely on luck and hope when you can be sure about your snakes' welfare by keeping them seperate?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  09:47:25  Show Profile
How can you tell if there stressed. My guys curl up and burrow in the aspen and come out a fue hours later I know snakes are night time animals but is this ok for them to do and how can i tell if there sleeping I don't think they close there eyey? Lol :-)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  10:53:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

The problem is that once you see the signs of stress the snakes have probably been stressed a while and it is only just becoming evident...and may be too late. Why rely on luck and hope when you can be sure about your snakes' welfare by keeping them seperate?

xxx

but can stress not be an on and off going thing like one day they might be stressed and the other they are not??

and i dont undersatnd what you mean about it may be to late?? to late for what if i did see any signs i would split them and they would be fine again im i right??

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  10:55:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tango and mango

How can you tell if there stressed. My guys curl up and burrow in the aspen and come out a fue hours later I know snakes are night time animals but is this ok for them to do and how can i tell if there sleeping I don't think they close there eyey? Lol :-)

one off my snakes is very active and the other is not if i see them together in a hide or somthing i keep an eye on them i beleave a few signs off stress are the snakes moving funny like twitching, not eating there meal

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  11:06:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You may already be noticing one becoming dominant over the other then.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  11:34:35  Show Profile
Some days mango is quite active and other days tango is but some times it's the other way round if u know what I mean lol it's like this morning mango has not moved all morning but tango was moveing about 4 a fue mins and is now layin down again lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  11:37:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You may already be noticing one becoming dominant over the other then.

i do beleave that the bigger one is more dominant as the bigger one does come out alot more

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  11:40:08  Show Profile
what im trying to do now is change the snakes personalty a bit as the hypo is a very agresive eater and the amel is not as im trying to get the weight of my amel up the same as hypo

do you think this would be a good idea??

Edited by - n/a on 19/12/2009 11:40:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000