Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:15:45  Show Profile
for the last 4 days my 2 corns have bein togehter and seem fine round each other part from the first day when the male snake wich is slightly biger was acting funny where it would twitch but it does not do that anymore im not sure if this is because the other one might be female?? as i dont know

i am going holliday for 5 days would it be ok to leave them on there own??

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:18:19  Show Profile
No. The bigger could could easily try and eat the smaller one.

Co-habiting is a touchy subject. It has absolutely no benefit for the snakes, only the keeper and can cause no end of problems.

Plus if you dont know the sex of your candy cane, then they shouldnt be living together anyway.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:21:52  Show Profile
i read alot off post on it where ppl say that its fine and they had there snakes together for years?? is there a high poss that they would try eat each other i beleave its female the candy cane

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:28:24  Show Profile
if you think you have a male and female tat are old enough to mate then you could end up with eggs which could lead to some serious complications with your female depending on her size,
i wouldnt have them together, id hate to come back to a dead snake knowing that it could have been prevented

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:29:42  Show Profile
It may be fine for the keeper but its not for the snakes. They are solitary animals and shouldn't have to live together. Co-habiting should be practiced by only the most experienced keepers, who really know what they are doing, can spot the signs of stress, and have all the necessary arrangements in place for separation. Also, most only practice it with adult females.

Plus, if your candy cane is female then they shouldn't live together, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:36:43  Show Profile
ummmm i will look in to moving candy cane then 1 sign off stress is that they wont eat they just both had there dinner fine i thought it would be ok to house them together as when i bought them the shop told me not to house togther right away and leave till bout a year

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:38:47  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

if you think you have a male and female tat are old enough to mate then you could end up with eggs which could lead to some serious complications with your female depending on her size,
i wouldnt have them together, id hate to come back to a dead snake knowing that it could have been prevented

and even more complications if the female isnt bigger enough to breed

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:39:41  Show Profile
Agreed with other posts.

I do NOT disagree with co-habiting IF the snakes have 2 hides each, meaning 4 in total, 2 in the cool and 2 in the warm for each of them, so theres no competetion for the best spot. Also, theyr'e going to need 2 waterbowls ideally,

Plus, you're going to need a bigger viv if you plan to house two 5ft corns together. that'd easily be a huge viv. I've seen a few people who try and co-habit for the cost involved, but it'd cost cheaper in my opinion to set up two vivs then filling up a huge viv which could easily cost around £130 for the big enough viv, I could set up an adult corn's set up for around £70. (using a 145ltr rub)

Also, you'd need to monitor them incredibly well to detect the slightest signs of bullying, stress, competetion etc. Also feeding time, things could get a bit hectic...

But i DO disagree with co-habiting if the snakes DONT have their own space, and are the wrong size's. I wouldn't pair my two corns, blitz is about 5 times the size of blaze weight, gridth and length wise, he'd crush him.

Sorry if i wont a bit too mad, voicing my opinions.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:42:13  Show Profile
thx for your reply hillzi the viv i got now is big its got 5 hids 2 in the warm and 3 in the cold side a 2 water bowls :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:46:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

thx for your reply hillzi the viv i got now is big its got 5 hids 2 in the warm and 3 in the cold side a 2 water bowls :)

I still hope you will split them up.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:47:47  Show Profile
i will consider spliting them up till there biger

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:49:15  Show Profile
How old are they?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:49:31  Show Profile
i tink its a learning curve really if i see any signs off stress i would defo split them up

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:50:51  Show Profile
So you arent going to split them up until they are already stressed?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:51:12  Show Profile
im not to sure on there age i got them both bout a year ago now

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:52:31  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

im not to sure on there age i got them both bout a year ago now

how heavy are they

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:52:37  Show Profile
yea i gess so

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:57:15  Show Profile
Firstly, if they were very small when you got them, then they will be far too small and young to be in together, seeing as they are different sexes.
Secondly, its not fair for a female of any age to have to live with a male all year round. It can cause very serious health problems.
Thirdly, if you wait to see signs of stress before deciding to split them up, then the damage has already been done.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:59:38  Show Profile
not really if they where to get stressed out i would split them up they would not stay stressed for ever it sounds like your staying they would never be happy again cos they got stressed out the one time??

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:02:51  Show Profile
Cool, well if you think its acceptable to stress your snakes for no good reason, risk cannibalism, pregnancy and god knows what else, then fine.

I wouldn't hit my cat with a stick- I know it wouldn't hurt for too long, but it would be too late to take it back once I had done it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:03:10  Show Profile
I think you may have misunderstood me - they'd need about a 5ft x 5ft viv (please, correct me if i'm wrong!)

Have a look here, if you haven't already. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&whichpage=1

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000