Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:21:48  Show Profile
thats 4ft long by 1.4ft wide.

Too small in my opinion for 2 corns.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:41:30  Show Profile
its a double stack viv so i will be finishing the top off and maybe puting one off the corns in it

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:58:52  Show Profile
Ok, if i were you i WOULD put the other corn in the top one as soon as you can.

why take the risk?

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:03:57  Show Profile
i agree with tom, id definately separate them as soon as you can - why take the risk of stress, pregnancy or even death when you have the space and facilities to separate them?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:14:36  Show Profile
ok i will seprate them soon as great lol means spending bout another £150 lol nevermind aslong as the snakes benefit from it :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:15:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Cool, well if you think its acceptable to stress your snakes for no good reason, risk cannibalism, pregnancy and god knows what else, then fine.

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

why take the risk of stress, pregnancy or even death when you have the space and facilities to separate them?

As I said...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:20:11  Show Profile
but u seemed not to know what u was talking but when u put together saying stress is related to pain when its not ;)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:20:50  Show Profile
somtink bout hiting a cat = pain lol

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:32:37  Show Profile
if the bigger snake decides to attack the smaller snake then it will be causing pain which will be causing stress for the smaller one,

sorry for the repeat sb

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:53:08  Show Profile
yes i know what your saying hannah but sexybear did not say about atacking eachother she was talking bout stress and went on saying bout hiting a kat lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  20:01:54  Show Profile
i know what iam going to do now so this topic can be closed now thx for all the replys :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  23:50:36  Show Profile
Ivan- the statement I was making was intended to be purely about needlessly causing an animal suffering, which is to me what you were planning on doing. I'm sorry you couldn't understand that and felt the need to be less than gracious about accepting my constructive criticism.

If you ask for advice then fine, but to then completely ignore it is just plain stupidity.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  03:57:02  Show Profile
ivan - I know when you have done something with your snakes and maybe even be told that it is right, it is very hard to be shown that what you are doing may be wrong and may actually be putting your snakes in a stressful or dangerous position.

What SexyBear has been saying is true. Her concern about you waiting until you see signs of stress in your snakes is a valid one, because often you may not see those signs of stress early enough. People who have co-habited their snakes have thought it 'cute' the way they curl up together, when in fact they are both wanting the best spot in the viv. They may feed fine but that does not necessarily mean they are not stressed, they are hungry and need the food. SexyBear's example regarding the cat being hit was a true one, but maybe it would have been better to compare a snake being stressed and then rescued to (and I know this may seem extreme) a child that is mentally or verbally abused - you do not need to lay a hand on that child to stress it out and damage it. On the outside the child's teachers and friends may not see what is happening and what that child is going through. It is the same with your snake...you cannot see what stress it may be going through or what long term effects it may have.

In the wild corn snakes are solitary creatures, that only come together to mate - so would you house a male and female cheetah together all year round, knowing the male could/would injure and stress the female as they, too, only come together for mating. It is only us humans that mess with their natural habits, and we need to do that as little as often.

There are complications around co-habiting, as already pointed out....cannibalism, stress, premature breeding which causes health problems. These are all possible in your cirumstances, even more so because of their size and the unknown sex of one of them.

You say you have decided what you are going to do, but dont say what it is. I hope, and believe, that you have made that decision for the snakes benefit and not for your own.

This is a very emotional topic, because it can cause so much pain to owners (and snakes), and therefore people react strongly....especially when it seems their advice is not being taken seriously. But anything that is said on this forum is truly because of our love of snakes and our concern for their well being.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:03:15  Show Profile
i co-habited my corns after being told they were the same sex. always thought that they liked curling uptogether in jun this year one layed eggs we lost 4 saved one but its not eating and is kinked. I split them up that day turned out the male was bullying the female he is greedy and she doesnt eat much but now she is a great snake healthy appetite and not shy anymore she has also put on nearly 100g since laying. They were both just over a year!

As we had to seperate them fast we got thermostat n mat and a plastic staking box (large) put holes in it the male is quite settled tough he will be getting a viv made for him.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:14:44  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
its a bit off topic, but still related to the OPs post.....

you say you will split them up if you see any signs of stress, what signs exactly are you looking for?

IMO, if you have 2 males then one of them is already showing a stressy sign by twitching which is a warning to the other male to steer clear. If you have one of each, its either a stay away signal, or a 'look at me, i'm going to have you' sign.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  19:38:11  Show Profile
You can easily pay around £70 for a 145lt rub and all the decor/heatmat & stat etc.

Good idea mate. You probably saved your snakes lives.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  19:46:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ok i think this has run it's course, i would add as a final note to the OP to please thoroughly read this thread
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&SearchTerms=co+habit

topic now locked thank you

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000