where do i start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  17:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im looking at getting a corn snake for myself and my boys, where do i start and what do i need to get started?

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:03:49  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at the care sheet on the home page and learn its needs. They arnt hard to keep, just make sure you know your stuff.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have read the care sheet, got the heat mat, viv, faunarium, mat stat and digital thermo's
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're pretty much sorted for equipment then. Get the tank up and runnning for a week before you get the snake so you can make sure its holding the temperature right. I would use kitchen roll as substrate and cardboard for hides.

Any questions just ask.

Welcome to the forum also.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks very much, when u say cardboard for the hides, do you mean kitchen/loo roll tubes and do i put 1 at the hot and 1 at the cold end?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  19:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and cereal boxes etc. But one in the warm end and one in the cool end, and a few more anywhere if you have the space.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, good plan.

Hey and welcome. What morph of corn are you looking at getting?
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  19:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, it's good to see people doing their homework BEFORE the get their snakey. Any ideas on what morph your gonna get yet?

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  19:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is so many i like, i love the ghost strip, the snow corn and the butter corn and the amel, but have been told the colours are different when they r adults, id rather get everything 100% right before we get the snake so i know it is looked after properly, i must admit i am nervous about it, incase it bites and a few other things worry me
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  21:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are the most docile of all snakes, so bites are rare unless you handle the snake in 'blue' depending on the snake they will allow you, or not, to handle them.

All very nice morphs, try ians vivarium morph guide for hatchling and adult colours of the paticular morphs.

Yes, problems made now can be sorted without snakey being harmed. I put my hand up, i had 2 corns with ONE HIDE in a 30 exo tank as the guy i bought them off said 'theyr'e all fine to go' not even a stat nor did i have a cold end.

this forum fixed that.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  22:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was told alot of information from a 'friend' yet info from shops contradicts everything he has told me
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  03:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shorty

i was told alot of information from a 'friend' yet info from shops contradicts everything he has told me

Unfortunately that happens a lot, especially with pet shop advice which you must always regard skeptically unless you know they are reptile experts. It is the great thing about the forum, you can get so much info in one place...ask any question you want without it being regarded as silly...and you will get real experienced snake owners giving you their years of wisdom! That doesnt mean that there are never any differences of opinion on here...it does happen. But the good thing is that you will get a healthy debate on the topic and can then make an informed decision yourself.

I echo what Tizzy said...it is so good to have someone doing their research before getting your snake. Too often people walk into a pet shop, walk out with a snake, get home and think 'Ok, what do I do now?'!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  20:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you guys for al your help. id rather do my research first so i can care for a snake properly rather than walking into it blindfolded, thank you all so much, this is such a great place and the posts and help is awesome xx
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  20:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forums are good things, you get many peoples opinions and techniques and methods. which you can change, use and/or adapt for yourself to suit the keeping of your corn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000