Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help me i'm a new guys having a new Candy Corn ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  07:03:48  Show Profile
Oh and i think a tank 60cm x 45cm x 40cm is enough for the aldult corn .. if bigger is more stress ???
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  11:05:07  Show Profile
Some body help me out pls .. i think i will sold my cane to buy a amel
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  11:05:51  Show Profile
What is live longer , better and friendly , not dangerous!!!
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  11:34:58  Show Profile
wow lots of questions!

candy canes are more expensive over here because they are a rarer morph, amels are very common. as an adult, the snake should be fine in a 3footx2footx2foot viv. bigger vivs will cause stress unless really packed out with hides etc.

corn snakes are one of the most "friendly" snakes around- they are very docile and easy to keep. Their lifespan depends mainly on quality of life, housing and diet, not colour- most well kept corns will live about 15-20 years! The worst a corn can do is give you a little bite, and from what Ive heard it doesnt hurt. In 7 years of keeping I have never been bitten!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  01:25:21  Show Profile
Let me have a go at answering some of these as well. :)

As SexyBear77 has already said, Amels are the more common Corn Snake out of the two that you mentioned so if you got a Candy Cane for less than an Amel you did very well. I would certainly not sell the snake if i were you.

As i mentioned in an earlier post, 90cm L, 60cm H, 60cm D is the MINIMUM size i would recommend for an adult Corn Snake. Any less and they will not have enough room.

As for life expectancy, all Corn Snakes have a life span of 15 - 20 years in captivity. The life span is not altered by the snakes colour... Amels and Candy Canes are EXACTLY the same species of snake, only the colour is different.

Corn snakes are one of the most docile species of snake it is possible to buy, they are very unlikely to bite and rarely show aggression. Regular, gentle handling is what helps a Corn Snake to gain trust in you... they can be a little jumpy when they are young but as they grow older and learn to trust you they will calm down considerably. As i mentioned earlier, Amels and Candy Canes are exactly the same species of snake so they are both the same with regards to handling and aggression.

Corn Snakes are not dangerous in any way, they are constrictors so are not venomous. They are not strong enough to cause any serious damage to you and their bites do not hurt.

Edited by - n/a on 20/10/2009 01:32:53
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  02:41:53  Show Profile
Thank you guys so so much. Well , like all of you said , corns are not dangerous and rarely bite , so i am very happy about it . About the tank , my room just enough for 90L x 50D x 45H , it that will be ok ? And i use reptile sun uvb 2.0 if i dont use can it cause any problems ?? Or just no lighting be fine , did anybody here keep corns with out any lights ? And i really concern about candy and amel , so what shoul i choose , amel and candy , what have more red colour ! What the diffrent about Candy and Amels.
Thank u guys so much for help me out all this time. What an friendly nice guys
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  02:55:19  Show Profile
That size of tank will possibly be just about ok... a little cramped perhaps but not too far off to be a huge issue.

No, not using the UVB bulb will not cause an issue, snakes do not require UV lighting to be healthy.

No additional lighting will be fine as long as the snake is kept in a room that is light during the day and dark at night. I do not use additional lighting for my snakes, but as i just said, my snakes do stay in a room that is light in the daytime and dark at night so that they still have a normal day/night cycle.

As for the snake choice, stay with the snake that you have. All Corn Snakes are beautiful and i am sure yours is no exception.

With regards to the amount of red colouration, Amels have the most red. The differences with Amels and Candy Canes are purely visual and can be seen in the links i posted previously.

We would love to see a photograph of your snake if you have one. :)

Edited by - n/a on 20/10/2009 02:57:01
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  03:19:09  Show Profile
I dont think it matters which type of corn snake you have Suken, but I am sure the snake you got you bought because it is beautiful. So dont worry about the different types, just enjoy what you have got.

The care of the corn snake is the same whatever type it is. Giving it the right amount of space and heat with a hot and cold end, substrate on the bottom, 2 hides for it to hide in and water and food - everything you have already found out from Bioshock and SexyBear.

The corn snake is a great snake to look after as it is easy to care for and doesnt often bite, only if it feels threatened. You just have to learn how to handle it. Make sure you wash your hands before and after you have handled it. To get it used to you and you used to handling it take it out just for 5 minutes every day (except on the day that you feed it and for 2 days after you have fed it so it can digest its food). You must be calm and gentle, with no sudden movements. Just let it slide through your hands quietly and then put it back into its home. You can slowly increased the time that you have it out as it gets older and more confident. I only handle my adult for 30 minutes when I take him out of his home.

How long have you had your snake? Have you fed it yet?

Please ask if you dont understand something we say, I think you are doing really well trying to find out as much information as you can about your new pet.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  04:28:20  Show Profile
Well , i not have a camera but i will borrow soon as i can . I will post some pics of my corn in a few days :D . Oh..i will keep my candy corn , the time is always be cycle day/night ...i will cut the uvb off because is so expensive in viet nam and candy are more cheaper than amel. Good i will keep my candy and enjoy it. :) . I just have my snake 4 days ago. I dont feed him , i will left him alone in 1 week. I has research about corns and i think is an wonderful pet.and all guys in here are very nice..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  04:42:03  Show Profile
We do like the pictures here, so we will all look forwards to seeing your snake. :)

I am glad you are deciding to keep your Candy Cane, they are a lovely snake and i am sure you will be very happy with it... and remember, in the UK it is the rarer and more expensive of the two you mentioned. :)

Saving money is always a good thing, there is no point paying out for UVB bulbs when you don't need them.

It is good to see a new snake owner that is concerned enough to research and ask questions about their new pet. There are so many people out there that don't do the research and then get into serious trouble later down the line.

Corn Snakes really are a wonderful pet, not the most popular pet but certainly one of my favourites.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  04:52:52  Show Profile
Yeah , after i keep an pet i must to research carefully about it . I dont want him to ill or impaction, i just want the best for all of them . I really love animal, i am now owner an iguana , dogs , cat and new baby candy cane...YEYY
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  04:55:21  Show Profile
Are u sure about no uvb , did the snake will live heathly and happy life with out Uvb..the EXPERTVILLAGE on youtube said that corn need Uvb ??? Just keep the cycle right ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  05:20:33  Show Profile
They 100% do NOT need the UVB to be healthy.

And yes, just make sure they have a correct day/night cycle.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  05:51:58  Show Profile
Thanks .. If i have any probs i will post in this again :D thanks very much
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  08:33:32  Show Profile
Well , can i just feed live pinkey , not cooked , i feel so bad , means when cook pinkey. I dont want to kill them , little baby ..
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  09:41:32  Show Profile
you are better off feeding already dead food - live feeding can result in some cases with an injured snake

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  11:53:07  Show Profile
as Hannah said, feeding prekilled is much safer for both your snake and the mouse. You dont have to cook the pinkie, there are humane ways of killing them, like C02 chambers.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  22:49:30  Show Profile
Just go to a pet shop or a reptile shop (which is best place to go) and buy dead pinkies. You can buy quite a few and put them in the freezer. Take out one to defrost overnight before you feed your snake. Also means it will be room temperature and you can even warm it a bit with a hairdryer - but dont make it hot. Have you been told or shown how to feed? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  23:49:10  Show Profile
Yes. I have. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  00:00:00  Show Profile
But in here they dont have Dead Pinkeys.. Just live , so have i must to cook. Can i frozen it ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000