shy snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as i said in a previous post i have a new corn snake,at the momment he... or she, i dont know for sure, anyway its hiding away and has been for hours. although it was curious last night and does occasionay poke its head out but is very shy. when will it start to explore or realise there are no threats?

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  15:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

That's normal behaviour, he's in a new home and is not yet certain. Usual advice is to leave them for a week to settle in in their new home, and only go in the viv to change his water daily. That will give him the opportunity to get used to the new smell of the new hand that goes into his viv (yours ). After the week is up, offer food, then assuming he takes the meal leave for two days, again only going in to change the water. After that, take him out for say 5 mins or so. It will take him some time to get used to you.

Oh, and he will most likely come out at night, when you are asleep, and take a good look around, but will be back under his hide when you go to check on him first thing in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unfortunatly it has to make do with basics very very basics until monday at least and i had no choice but to clean (i think its male now) him out because there was poo every where and smelled horrible, i was worried about him. remember he was like that when he arrived

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you can't determine if its a male just by looking at him

But, LOVELY (hurricane?) anery!!

Good find well done for saving him!

^ What she said. good post there
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You jammy so-and-so! What a lush snake you have there. I hope you'll be a better owner than the previous one. You're staring off on the right track, asking questions and reading caresheets and other posts. Some good advice on this post and your other post from Hawkeye so as long as you pay attention to her and others and keep researching I think you'll be a great snake owner!

One thing that can't be stressed enough, when you get mat etc. Monday you MUST MUST MUST get a thermostat to control the heat mat.

Oh and what prey have you purchased/ been advised to feed him/her?

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 31/10/2009 00:11:36
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
small mice frozen, but defrosted obviously, i dont know much about different morphs yet, is this one more "lush" than other types?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  01:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. His colouring and patterns are different to regular anerythristic (black, white and grey). I have a regular anery but yours (though not a clear piccy) looks a bit special!

Ok for food size as far as can tell from your snake photo and description. When was he last fed? Im assuming you haven't fed him yet as Hawkeye advised (correctly so) not to until you have heat mat & thermostat. So you may want to get a mat and stat asap (you mentioned monday?) so he/she can have a feed. This will help him/her to settle in too!

Hope this helps

Ben

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 31/10/2009 01:21:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  01:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
deffinatly no feeding till i get a heat mat? i think its been over a week since the last one. oh and ill work on getting more pic of the little fella.

Edited by - n/a on 31/10/2009 01:30:30
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  12:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool on the pic's, I'll look forward to seeing them.

Well I've read that the ABSOLUTE minimum temperature a corn snake can digest is 19*C. However as snakes can go for a long time without food, I would really urge you to wait until you have a mat and stat because it'll be easier on the snake. Also if a snake thinks it can't digest their prey they wouldn't take it. But I would wait.

Was it Monday for mat & stat etc.?

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  13:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will take longer the lower the temp.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  17:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i now have a heat mat and have just fed him, he seems happy, i have no thermostat but its only a 7 watt heat mat and i will monitor him carefully, this is ok isn't it? i also had to hold him while i sorted out the tank and he didn't seem to mind at all, such a friendly and inquisitive snake i love him.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  00:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter what wattage you heat mat is, it'll still reach the same temperature as any other (which is hot enough to burn if not controlled by a stat).

Basically because your heat mat is small it only needs 7w to reach the same temp a larg 40w heat mat would need.

The bigger the mat the higher the wattage but they still need to be controlled by a stat.

Here is a link for you, the microclimate on/off mini stat 100 (100w max) is ideal and it'll be £17.49 well spent.

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productsubcategories.php?SubCategoryID=205

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page