Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help me i'm a new guys having a new Candy Corn ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  06:22:57  Show Profile
Hi.I'm the new member here. Pls help me fews things
I just arrived a baby corn snake now . This is what i want to ask
1.I give him a tank with this size 40cm L 30cm H 35cm D and use newspapers for substrate.In the tank have a hide box ( shoes box ) and a large water bold for him to lay in . Lighting i have normal 60w light with a spot to bask and an UVB 2.0 no under tank heater.Is that OK for him for arest of his life ?? And what time should i turn the 60w light on and off because i heared that if snake have too much light power they will die ???
2.I feed him pinkey ( after in the water 100oC ) once a week. Is that OK
3.Did i have to do something more ? and i have a cat always watching him , does that make him stress ??

Thanks for helping me out.

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  07:02:15  Show Profile
Congratulations on your first corn snake and welcome to the forum. :)

The size of tank you currently have is fine for a young snake, up to about 2 to 2.5 feet in length i would say. But you will need to provide it with a larger enclosure when it is older, preferably a vivarium of at least 90cm L, 60cm H, 60cm D.

Ideally you would need 2 hides for the snake, one in the cool end of the enclosure and one in the warm end so that the snake can choose to hide in either end of the enclosure and thermoregulate while feeling secure. Hides should be just big enough for the snake to fit in and touch the sides, so for a baby snake a coconut shell chopped in half with small arches cut in the sides for access would make two beautifully sized hides. A shoe box would be a little large in my opinion.

For the lighting, i believe you can keep the light on for 10 - 12 hours a day, but that will purely be for your sake as the snake will not need or benefit from any extra lighting due to the fact that they are a nocturnal species and really only come out at night. Make sure to use a guard on your bulb because they can get very hot indeed and cause serious harm to your snake if it decides to touch it. The same goes for your basking bulb if it is a different bulb, always be sure to use guards. Oh, and your lighting should be turned on in the daytime, so whatever time in the morning you would like for the 10 - 12 hours mentioned above. This will make sure that the snake still has a proper day/night cycle.

The basking bulb that you are using, is it a ceramic bulb, a normal white bulb or a red bulb? Only red bulbs and ceramics are really suitable to be left on all the time.

The UVB bulb should not actually be needed at all for your snake as they get everything that they require from their food. Again though, if you use a UVB strip light i would suggest a guard be used as these types of bulbs do tend to shatter easily when squeezed.

An under tank heater (heat mat) is generally what is recommended for corn snakes due to the fact that they get their body heat from the earth in the wild, but you can use a bulb if you like. Just make sure that the basking spot is the correct temperature, so about 28 - 29 degrees C. A thermostat WILL be required to regulate this temperature, for a bulb you would require a dimming thermostat. I cannot stress how important a thermostat is, serious injury or even death can occur if the heat source is left unchecked.

A pinky once per week sounds absolutely perfect for a young snake, you really don't want to overfeed them. As long as there is a nice bulge in its tummy after it has eaten it should be fine. When you start to notice that there is much less of a bulge and that the snake has digested the food much quicker than normal you would then start to offer two pinkies per feed... you will then keep moving up in food size as the snake grows.

You will need to make sure that the pinky is not too warm when you feed it to the snake as a scalding hot pinky will do significant damage. Just touch it to the back of your hand to make sure that it is warm but not too hot.

Don't forget to leave your snake for two days after it has eaten, this gives it time to digest its food in peace and not feel threatened enough to regurgitate its meal.

The cat watching should not be too much of a problem, as long as there is no way that the cat can physically get to the snake. If you feel that the snake is becoming stressed i would suggest that you cover the snakes enclosure with a towel or sheet to shield the snake from the cats view.

One thing i would suggest that you do now that you have got your baby corn snake is to leave it alone in its enclosure to settle in for about a week before you start to handle it or attempt to feed it, this will give the snake time to get to know its new environment and to get over the stress of the move. All you really need to do in this time is to change the water daily and to remove and poo that you may see.

I think that about covers everything. :)

I hope that helps and i hope you enjoy this site and your snake!

Edited by - n/a on 17/10/2009 07:19:49
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  07:17:19  Show Profile
Well , my room is so small so i just can fit this tank : 80x40x45cm. Is that ok , and i use normal 60w bulb is ok huh ? No uder tank heat just normal bulb ? Ok , i will guard the bulbs. And does him need a moonlight ? Yes i left him alone before handle it
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  07:18:50  Show Profile
Do it must to be have a hot and cool end ? Or if not , snake will be ok ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  07:26:21  Show Profile
What colour should i have choice for the 60w bulb ? RED or just normal ? Because at night temp will be goin to 19oC can i turn this bulb on in the night ? Will that disturb the snake sleepy ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  07:27:11  Show Profile
I just edited my first post slightly to include information about a thermostat with regards to the heat lamp.

80x40x45 is a little cramped, but it should be ok for quite a while.

A normal 60 watt bulb is fine for lighting of the tank as long as the bulb has a guard fitted, but it will not be ok for the actual heating of the tank. The snake will be most active when it is dark so it will probably not venture out if a white light is on constantly. You could buy a red bulb to overcome this problem as snakes are said to not be able to see red light, or at least not mind it as much.

The snake will not require a moon light, they are mainly just to help the owner to see their snake in the dark... but if you used a red bulb as a heat source that would help in just the same way.

It is very important that you do have a hot end and a cold end to your snakes enclosure. As snakes are cold blooded creatures they need to thermoregulate, so they will go back and forth between the hot and cold end to maintain a body temperature that they feel comfortable at. Not having this temperature difference can be harmful to your snake.

Edited by - n/a on 17/10/2009 07:28:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  08:36:00  Show Profile
Ok ! I will buy red bulb only tks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  08:36:36  Show Profile
Ok ! I will buy red bulb only tks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  08:56:17  Show Profile
Do them need correct humid ? What percents of humidity he need ? The temp of all size tank is 75o or just hot end 75o ? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  09:17:35  Show Profile
Corn snakes will be fine with the humidity you naturally have unless you live in a very dry country, they can be given a moss hide while they are shedding to raise the humidity and help them to shed though.

The warm end of the tank needs to be about 82 - 84 degrees farenheit (28 - 29 degrees celcius), the cold end is fine at room temperature.

Edited by - n/a on 17/10/2009 09:18:21
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  09:24:09  Show Profile
Tks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  14:02:30  Show Profile
I keep him in the small tank now . 30x35x25 cm. When i have to replace the tank to bigger size ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  17:44:01  Show Profile
I m just kiding thanks for help me out Bioshock :D
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  11:27:30  Show Profile
think bioshock has got it all covered there..
just make sure there are plenty of hides for your snake to hide in and he should be ok

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  14:34:25  Show Profile
Oh thanks...and i want to ask this , can i use the wood shaving , the hamsters substrate , we usually use for hamster. Can it be the Corn substrate , it have a little smell like perfume . Is that ok to use ? If it dont have smell ? Can i ?
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  15:05:01  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
you can't use the hamster stuff if it is pine or cedar because it is toxic to snakes :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  15:14:58  Show Profile
Oh man..thanks , i will trash them. Oh , and amel and candy corn what is the better , which is more beautiful ? I have baby corn , but i dont know what amel ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  15:15:59  Show Profile
And give me some pics of small tank setup and amel . Thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  00:27:14  Show Profile
This is an Amel. http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/amelanistic/

This is a Candycane, which i assume you meant. http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/candycane/

Personally i prefer Amels, but it is all down to personal taste.

As for pictures of small setups, you may find some in the photo section of the site.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  06:01:18  Show Profile
Thanks men you are really good at Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  06:06:57  Show Profile
Oh... I think Amel and Cane like the same colour , white an red ... why amel is more expensive ? And amel care like cane corn right ??
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000