Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has gone on holiday to the rep shop

she was hatched on the 19th August and shed on the 27th and hasn't eaten at all I tried everything people suggested, bra..ining, scenting, splitting the sides..you name it I tried it.. anyway I took her to the shop on Weds and they gave me some tips..The girl who works there showed me how to try and give her food with a syringe and showed me everything..I felt confident enough to do it and so I took her home as I didn't want to leave her but I think it was the wrong choice..I fed her in the way they showed me but she was very stubborn and and wouldnt keep her head still and although she got some food down her I think she got a bit of air aswell...yesterday i checked on her and she was all gassy along her body and her skin took a while to go back down when slightly pinched.. when I held her up with her tail hanging down towards her tail were gass bubbles where along with food she had ingested air

I feel so guilty, I know its not my fault shes not eating but I should have noticed that she wasn't drinking as much as I thought and that she had lost weight..I know I tried everything suggested so the shop is now her only hope.. I actually started crying when I took her there and the bloke said that it wasnt looking good..I feel so responsible for not noticing the gas bubbles sooner..I got selfish and instead of leaving her there where she would have been better off I wanted her at my house so I could keep an eye on her - even though Shaun at the shop would have checked on her just as much as I did..

I have my fingers crossed she feeds soon.. I hate not having her here..I know shes not technically mine as shes Lukes but she definately is my favourite..I want her back already!

Im going to the shop on Weds or Tues to see how shes doing - they are going to offer her a feed on monday so please cross your fingers for her..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 21/10/2009 06:23:54

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:42:57  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fingers toes arms and legs all crossed for her XX I hope she feeds soon im sure she will be fine.
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have all my fingers crossed for her hannahb. let us know how she gets on and good luck....

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  15:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh HannahB! Please lose the guilt, your love and care for Aura is so evident from everything you've written about her. Sending you a big hug.

Two pieces of advice I received recently and which I am applying on Shen at the moment:

1. That thing with the tails, off of adult mice. Have you asked about it? Possibly worth a try?

2. In addition to adding ReptoBoost to the drinking water, give bath in ReptoBoost water. (I did this with Shen yesterday and he was very pleased to soak like that for seven minutes and even drank some of the water.)

Perhaps you could try these with Aura right there in the shop, you don't even have to bring her home for that.

I know I'll be looking here for your update on Monday, please let us all know what progress is being made!

Here's the big hug I promised:

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

299 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  15:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck hannah hope she feeds for you

1.0.0 bci rocky
0.1.0 bci twix
0.1.0 silver queen
1.0.0 anery beetlejuice
0.1.0 snow motley snowdrop
0.1.0 holly (caviler king charles)
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  15:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for her and you HannahB! We're sure she'll be fine after her little holiday in the shop. You never know, she may turn out to be the best feeder after this ordeal!

Can't wait for the update on Monday!

Good Luck!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  04:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hannah - no guilt trip please! None of this has anything to do with you...you have loved and cared for that little snake as much as you could have done, and tried everything you know of to get her to feed. Now you are doing the right next step, which is getting someone experienced a chance to try. You are a fantastic owner Hannah, cause you really care. xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  15:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for the guilt trip..didnt realise how much i was ranting..

Hawk - i asked about the tails but theres nothing massively nutritious in them so Shaun said it would just stress her out for very little success.. I gave her a bath in repto boost but after a few mins she wrapped herself up in a knot and just floated..strange snake!

theres a girl called claire at the shop and she is apparently really good at getting them feeding.. I have my toes and fingers crossed that she can at least get something in her..

I have to admit i did think i was cursed all of a sudden as she wouldnt feed and then yesterday i accidentally dropped lucien.. was crying to luke going 'i shouldnt hahve snakes..im a bad owner!'... what a dodo i am!!!

thanks for the support guys and gals..would actually go insane i think without it

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  17:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

sorry for the guilt trip..didnt realise how much i was ranting..

Hawk - i asked about the tails but theres nothing massively nutritious in them so Shaun said it would just stress her out for very little success.. I gave her a bath in repto boost but after a few mins she wrapped herself up in a knot and just floated..strange snake!

theres a girl called claire at the shop and she is apparently really good at getting them feeding.. I have my toes and fingers crossed that she can at least get something in her..

I have to admit i did think i was cursed all of a sudden as she wouldnt feed and then yesterday i accidentally dropped lucien.. was crying to luke going 'i shouldnt hahve snakes..im a bad owner!'... what a dodo i am!!!

thanks for the support guys and gals..would actually go insane i think without it

Hi Hannah,

Understood re tails. Last night I got additional advice re Shen from Kehhlyr, could possibly be useful for Aura, not sure if you want more advice at this point, lemme know if you do and I'll explain what our resident loon said to do.

Totally understood about how you feel, especially after dropping Lucien. Possibly the stress had something to do with dropping him? Take a deep breath and realize you are not a bad owner, you are a very caring owner who is out of her mind with worry. Lemme put it this way: I don't know you, but based on everything I read from you in the forums I would feel totally confident bringing my snakes to you for "babysitting."

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  23:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hannah - I 2nd everything Hawkeye has said, she just says it better! You havent been ranting, but you are just being a caring owner who wishes she could do more when in fact she has done all she can done. You are still learning, and you accept that....in fact you are eager to learn as much as you can - that is the sign of a good owner. I am sure that if any of us had Aura we would be in the same position (and suffering the same guilt) as you. I would also be very happy to leave Kellog in your care anytime - as long as you gave him back!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  11:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hawkeye and kellog..feel free to drop them off anytime.. cant guarantee they would be returned though
hawk - i was attempting to measure him on my arm but was a case of him not playing ball and my arm going one way while he was going for a nosy the other way.. i felt awful but luckily there was no damage done *phew*

am going to the shop either tomorrow or weds to see how she is as they are feeding her today but my shift doesnt finish in time to get to the shop..am hoping they can get something down her at least *prays to every snake god*

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  11:31:20  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hannah you've tried everything in the book and more so don't blame yourself.
Your a very good caring snake owner (albeit silly for crying because Lucien was naughty and tried to jump ).
And you didn't drop Lucien you caught him.

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I would also be very happy to leave Kellog in your care anytime - as long as you gave him back!! xxx

I wouldn't bet on it

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hawkeye and kellog..feel free to drop them off anytime.. cant guarantee they would be returned though

Hahahaa! I thought so!

quote:
hawk - i was attempting to measure him on my arm but was a case of him not playing ball and my arm going one way while he was going for a nosy the other way.. i felt awful but luckily there was no damage done *phew*

Murphy's Law for handling snakes: the moment you move, they'll move the other way.

quote:
am going to the shop either tomorrow or weds to see how she is as they are feeding her today but my shift doesnt finish in time to get to the shop..am hoping they can get something down her at least *prays to every snake god*

Fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HannahB, sounds like you've had an awful weekend! I hope Aura feeds ok today, and hopefully this week will be the start of a more positive week for you all!

Best of luck and keep smiling - all will be fine!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hannah, as the others have said, its not your fault that Aura hasnt been feeding, and you have done the responsible thing by sending her on holiday to the shop. With luck they will get her feeding for you and all will be well. Keep your chin up and keep us updated on her progress. x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  11:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would they be happy for you to phone call to ask how she's doing? (It this sounds like, "I really want to hear Aura's news" that's because it's true. I do think about her and am waiting to hear.)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  11:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any word yet Hannah?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  13:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not yet..am going to the shop tomorrow as i cant make it today but will update as soon as i know anything

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  14:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, hope all goes well tomorrow.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  20:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope aura fed hannah

winston
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  10:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

not yet..am going to the shop tomorrow as i cant make it today but will update as soon as i know anything

Ok. I've just taken a second look at your original post and saw that Aura's time frame is similar to Shen's but actually better, because she hatched 19 Aug and was most probably still living off her yolk for a little while after that (resulting in the shed on 27 Aug).

Whatever the shop says, don't give up on her. Wish I was nearer where you live, I'd have loved to try with her what worked with Shen. (I was operating mainly through some kind of a heightened instinct born out of the acute awareness of being so intexperienced with snakes, and it worked. I was delicate with him at all times out of fear of damaging him, but boy I wasn't going to give in this time. Eight and a half weeks of increasing desperation do that..)

Fingers crossed for good news later today.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000