Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  12:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there people im new here,
i have two corn snakes one a 3 year old amel and yearling anery,
my amel corn i believe is in need of bigger feed as 1 medium mice is not enough as she seems to be hunting around her viv once she is returned so i have providing another mouse for you her which at that point she rest back in hide after feeding on the 2nd, i was just wondering if thats good practice and wont damage hear in any way or should i just jump to the next size mice or rats.
im also thinking of varying her diet with chicks mice and rats, any ideas as to what would be the best practice,
i have only had her for 4 months she was my first corn
your help would much appreciated in this matter
thank in advance to my fellow corn lovers
dan

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
Plato

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  13:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Dan!

From the sound of it your amel would probably appreciate moving up to large mice. Feeding 2 of any prey item is acceptable if absolutely needed, but you wouldnt want to feed three or more. Do you have a record of her weight at all? If not it is always a good idea to have one, especially before changing the feeding routine.

Mice, mice and more mice is the best diet for a corn. Rats are fatty, but ok for an occasional treat. However, chicks are just fluff with pokey bits- no good at all.

We like pictures here too! Pop on over to intros and say hi and you will get more replies

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  13:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Feeding two rodents at once is not a problem, but I would probably go for a large mouse every 7-10 days if she will eat it. Have you for a photo of her?

A varied diet is not really needed for corns, everything they need can be forund in mice. But it doesnt do any harm to give them something differant every now and then.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  14:13:00  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As matty and SB have said mice are the staple diet of corn snakes, however you can give them the occasional treat.
My 2 will be getting an x-mas rat each .

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  15:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many thanks for all your replies,
my mind is at ease now about the two mice in one feeding setting, i plan on moving up to large mice asap, her current weight is 281grams(is that ok?)

again many thanks for you replies
dan

quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Bear
[

br]
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Welcome to the forum Dan!

From the sound of it your amel would probably appreciate moving up to large mice. Feeding 2 of any prey item is acceptable if absolutely needed, but you wouldnt want to feed three or more. Do you have a record of her weight at all? If not it is always a good idea to have one, especially before changing the feeding routine.

Mice, mice and more mice is the best diet for a corn. Rats are fatty, but ok for an occasional treat. However, chicks are just fluff with pokey bits- no good at all.

We like pictures here too! Pop on over to intros and say hi and you will get more replies

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
Plato
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  16:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i shall be posting images of her and my little one as soon as i work out how to work this site so give me a day and i will put them up,
many thanks for you info it was truly helpfull
the amel is a female 4 year old called Hera
the yearling anery is a male called Aragorn

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Feeding two rodents at once is not a problem, but I would probably go for a large mouse every 7-10 days if she will eat it. Have you for a photo of her?

A varied diet is not really needed for corns, everything they need can be forund in mice. But it doesnt do any harm to give them something differant every now and then.

Plato

Edited by - n/a on 13/11/2009 21:45:47
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  18:14:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all my adult corns get one medium mouse every 7 days. theres no need to vary the diet and no need for treats, as in above posts mice contain everything they need and if you try a different food, there is always the chance he'll turn his nose up at mice

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000