New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sazzie23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  18:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my partner has or rather had 4 corns. Unfortunately his 4 & half ft has escaped. We think that it is somewhere in the flat, but we can't find it. It was last seen on Monday last week. We think his son, being nosy, got the snake out when we were out & as he's quite a wriggly snake, was too much for him to handle & he dropped it, he is denying all knowledge as he is not meant to get them out. The thing is, how long can it stay out? We have left his tank open & food out as he was due to be fed yesterday, but he's still not made an appearance. Is there anything else we can leave out, if he is still in the flat to coax him out? We've checked all the warm places in the flat, but we have had the window open, could or would he have gone out the window, would it have been too cold outside for him? I hope someone can help as my partner is upset over losing him & mad with the son for getting him out in the first place. Thank you, Sally

Edited by - HannahB on 12/11/2009 17:00:21

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  18:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you put flower somewhere he is likely to have to go over if he is actvie during the night you will atleast know if he is still around :) hope you find him again

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  19:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes as Josh said flour is the way to go (flour Josh not flower) ;-> Put it everywhere. It may take ages to clean up but will be worth it to find him.

I would say that its unlikely it went outside because of the cold but it is possible. Leaving out food is a good idea but make sure you only leave it out for a day or will turn bad. Though they like warm areas they'll go any where they can hide and try high places also as they can climb, book shelves, wardrobes etc. Do you have any other pets? (be careful if you have cats in particular). Try not to make too much noise (music etc.) as if the vibrations from loud music is unsettling him further, and he's already in a good hiding spot, he's likely to stay there and will be a b*g*er to find!

I really hope he is still in the flat & that you find him soon. Try not to worry bout the food side of things though as a healthy snake will survive aaagggeeesss without his din dins.

Please let us know when he turns up & I'm sure I speak for everyone who may read this when I say we hope you find him safe & sound, curled up on top of a bookshelf or something!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 01/11/2009 19:54:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  19:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost forgot. When you find him get one of these so it shouldn't happen again!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320396909605&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh god i cant believe i just spelt flour like that , please forgive me! lol

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if there is ANY bags or anything hollow if you like around the cage , check!!!! because my snake has excaped 3 times and has always hidden in bags and pillows!!!!!!

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't normally stray too far from the viv. Make sure you look around everything fully in the room where the viv is, even if it sounds silly but up curtains and/or blinds etc!

Hope ya find him;

Also, welcome to the forum!! :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  21:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Make bottle traps. Tried to find you the post with the instructions and the pictures but no luck. Hopefully someone else here can find that link.

Also, leave some water available for him.

Good luck finding him soon!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  03:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry that we are welcoming you to the forum under these circumstances sazzie. We must try and put a 'sticky' together with advice on how to find a lost snake. There are all different tips that you can try, sorry if some of these have been mentioned already.

Put a bowl of water out in a few rooms, as a snake can go for a long time without eating but does need to drink. This may also give you an indication as to which room the snake is in.

If it is due a feed leave it for a few days and then try a bottle trap, but only leave it down for 24hrs - same length of time you would leave a mouse in a non-feeders viv. If it is not eaten then try again a few days later. I think there is a guide to making bottle traps in the main information part of this site.

Maybe you could put its heatmat on the floor in a corner of the room with some pillows around it - offering it a natural warm place to hide....maybe even with its hide there too.

Often owners sit up through the night as this will most probably be when the snake moves around. Try puttng wrapping paper or scrunched up newspaper along the skirting boards because then you will hear the movement as the snake skirts the room.

Flour in doorways is a good way to know if the snake has left or entered a room as you will see its track in the flour.

Lowering the heat in other rooms, or raising the heat in the room where the viv is may encourage the snake to stay in that room, especially with the cold weather. I also think it unlikely that it will have ventured outside because of the cold.

You do really need to turn the flat upside down looking - high and low and in things that you are almost sure it couldnt get into. One snake was found inside a box file! Look near heat sources - behind televisions, fridges, music systems etc. Quiet undisturbed areas where it could hide without being disturbed. Strip the cusions off sofas and chairs and try to check underneath to see if there is any way it could have made its way into the furniture.

I cant think of anything else at the moment, but I am sure those more experienced owners will add their suggestions. Lots of the forum members have lost snakes and then found them weeks later, without any ill effects. This biggest thing is not to give up hope, and try not come down too hard on your partner's son....I am sure he feels terrible and scared about what has happened as it is.

Please do keep us updated.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just found my snake last week after being missing for nearly 2wks and she was fine recoverd well she was in amoungst papers in a file box i had looked there and never saw her n shut the box it was just fortunate that i looked again n there she was lying in full view. hope you find the snake soon

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:42:10  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My snakes been let out twice by the dog. My hairless Baby likes to open the viv to see if theres any food in there, both snake and dog are uninterested in each other so thats good, baby looks for food while ginger takes the oppertunity to escape. Both times I've found her curled up behind the viv. Got a lock on the viv now.

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  23:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Found the link at last -- here is how you make a bottle trap:

http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263
Go to Top of Page

sazzie23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  14:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to let everyone know that has replied to the missing corn, he was found safe & well, if a little cold this morning after 16 days AWOL :-)
My partner open the living room window, pulled the curtain cos of the sun, we heard a thud, thinking it was a candle falling over, he didn't take any notice even though I said it might be the snake. A few minutes later, it appeared trying to climb up the wall.
My partner's son admitted week ago Wednesday at 6am that he had let the snake out, after Chocolate (the corn) had been missing for 8 days.
Thankfully Chocolate is now back with his friend Fudge, hiding under the greenery, away from prying 15 yr old boys, with a lock on the viv. My dog is also happy his friend Chocolate is back, he is very fond of the snakes, & has to sniff them all when they come out for feeding, just to make sure they are ok. He's the same with my bearded dragon, guinea pigs, adult rabbits & 6 baby rabbits, which we counted every morning, just to make sure we still had 6.
Thank you all that offered suggestions of how to find Chocolate, he's home, safe & well.
Thanks again, Sally
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  16:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so glad you found him - hopefully your son will leave him in his viv next time!
you will have to post pics of your little zoo sometime

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  19:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very pleased to hear Chocolate has turned up safe and sound!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  02:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news about Chocolate. It is also good for others who read this topic - firstly never to give up hope and secondly to always check high as well as low! People sometimes dont take into account the corns climbing ability, but that has just been proved by Chocolate climbing the curtain....and checkout Kellog Gets High photo topic - they truly are amazing snakes!

Must be such a relief for you and your partner and the dog! Also for your partner's son, I am glad he came clean and told the truth...hopefully he will have learnt a strong lesson after seeing what you have been through.

Look forward to seeing pictures of Chocolate and Fudge at some point. By the way, do they co-habit?

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000