Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  19:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys

Just an update to say got the Thermostat and thermometer on friday and the temps in the viv are now perfect. I fed him today and he took two pinkies without any trouble.

The shop confirmed that he is only 7 weeks old. He is still very skittish and did not like being handled this morning but he soon calmed down when he smelt food. As he is very nervous when i try and pick him up, is it best to leave him for a few weeks or should i still try to get him used to it?

Thanks for all the advice

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  23:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not at all experienced with hatchlings, but I know that when you begin to handle a new snake you do it for very short periods - like 5 minutes at a time - and then slowly build that time up. My adult corn isnt out for more that 30 min (unless I lose track of time)each time he is handled, which is usually around 3 times a week. Dont handle him the day he feeds and for 2 days after the feed. Also dont handle him when he is 'blue' and going into shed, until he has shed. 'Those in the know', am I about right??? xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  09:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog is right! *claps* small corns will be skittish as they have more to fear from us, but with gentle, patient handling they will soon calm down. It can help to put an item of your worn clothing into the viv to get the snake used to your smell. also, when picking up your snake go for when he is curled up in his hide, not out and about in his viv as it can be stressful when they wind around things and resist!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers, I wanted to check as when i handled him on saturday he was ok for about a minute and then got very stressed, so i immediately put him back.

As i fed him yesterday I will leave him alone for another couple of days and then try again.

I know this may sound a bit of a silly question, but what is the best way for holding a snake?

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  11:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
support the snake with your hands, but do not restrict its movement- allow it to slide around your hands and keep moving to keep up with it. keep a wide berth of its head, as they dont like them being touched. if it winds around your hand or wrist, dont panic, but if you need to unwind it, do so gently from the tail end, tho they will let go themselves after a time.

hope this helps!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page