Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took pinkie out of freezer three hours before feed.

At 8pm we took Shen out of his viv and put him in the plastic box he came in, which was where he lived before.

Offered him pinkie, no interest, just a panicked scramble to find cover, and then just stayed still.

At the moment he's still in the box, with pinkie.

I'm thinking of going back to check on things in half an hour, but what if he hasn't touched it? Back into the viv with pinkie for overnight?

Wish I could phone one of you.

dkdesire
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hawkeye, same thing happens to me with my new hatchling. He does the same thing when he feeds, I brained his first pinky and he wolfed it down a little while after. Doesn't always work so I usually put him back in his viv with the pinky and a hour later it's gone. Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  20:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he is fairly new, dont worry, i was panicking when Noodle wasnt feeding on his ''Feeding Day'' too, dont worry, he will not starve, sometimes Noodle will only take his Fuzzy if i leave the room, sometimes they just feel safer to eat when they are along as all. But dont panic, he wont starve or anything. But dont torture him by constantly putting it infront of him, if he doesnt want it-he doesnt want it :)

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  21:19:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try warming the pinky up and braining it, then just pop it back in the tub with him......... all done with minimal disturbance. cover him over for an hour and leave him to it. if after an hour he hasn't touched it you could leave him overnight in the tub, still covered, providing you put the tub half over the heatmat.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  21:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks. About half an hour ago I brained the pinkie, put him on a piece of kitchen roll in the viv, and returned Shen in. He went straight for a hide. Now we're just leaving him be, no one in the room, room is dark. I so hope he will eat!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  21:38:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
leave it in with him overnight, try and avoid checking on him every 10 mins though i know it's hard not to lol

if he still hasn't taken in by morning just give him a couple of stress-free days, no handling no nothing, and try again with a super-warm brained pinkie on saturday or sunday evening

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  23:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. The Real Hawk has just gone upstairs quietly to spy for the first time since we left Shen with the pinky. Pinky still where we left it, Shen out and about exploring, looking lively and inquisitive. (I have no idea how the Hawk can spot the mouse in the dark but he'd proven before that his vision and night vision are very sharp so I take his word with confidence.) So at least we know he's not feeling scared any more but rather energetic. Fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

161 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  23:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww good luck probably best just to leave pinkie in overnight if it isnt gone in morning take it out and then offer in a few days hope he does it though lol

1.0.0 miami clyde
0.1.0 miami bonnie
1.0.0 ghost casper
0.1.0 carolina sneaky
1.0.0 anery runt
0.1.0 anery spot
0.1.0 amel amy
1.0.0 no name ghost motley stripe
1.0.0 bloodred het lavender stripe on its way :)
0.1.0 reverse oketee on its way :)
1 husband
4 kids
new puppy shih apso on the way

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  07:10:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How long have you had him, how old is he and how long since he ate?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  13:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

How long have you had him Eight days
how old is he Roughly nine weeks
and how long since he ate? He was fed 3 or 4 days before we brought him home, so it's 11-12 days since he ate.

He didn't take the pinkie last night so we took it out mid morning. What could be the problem? How long can he go on like this and what should I do if he refuses when we try again this weekend?
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  14:02:45  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dont panic, They can go a while without food. Give him a few more days, then try braining the pinky and feding him, or slit the pinky across the nose to draw blood
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  14:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave him until the next feed day. You should still be able to handle him, he must get normal treatment.
He may have stressed out due to you moving him to his new viv then suddenly moving him again.
Get a plate or shallow tray to put his food on and make sure it is large enough for him to move around without getting substrate on the food.
On feeding day put the plate with pinky in viv, he should recognize the plate as feeding time. Once he has fed or after 24 Hrs remove the plate with or without the food depending on if he ate it or not.
This routine should calm him enough to get settled.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  17:05:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That really is nothing, if he hasn't eaten in another couple of weeks (try every 5 days) then it might be worth thinking about

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  18:58:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

You should still be able to handle him, he must get normal treatment.

i'm sorry i don't agree at all, if he's not feeding then don't handle him until his feeding routine is established.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  21:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

That really is nothing, if he hasn't eaten in another couple of weeks (try every 5 days) then it might be worth thinking about I'm sure glad to read this, thanks!

Based on all the responses and what we learned these past few days, plan at the moment is to try again over the weekend by putting a super-warm brained and slitted pinkie on a piece of kitchen roll right there in the viv with him, and if necessary leave for 24 hours. Until then, it's hands off other than to change his water.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  21:49:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cool, sounds like a good plan

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  22:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, GP. Meantime we're keeping our cool. I mean, it's only 45 hours, 52 minutes and 16 seconds until the next attempt
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  04:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I didnt start out with a youngster like you Hawkeye, but Kellog decided to go on a 13 week fast from the point we got him! Without the forum I would have gone crazy with worry. Trust the advice you have been given and give him time. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  12:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

65 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  15:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawkeye
My Hercules was the same and totally ignored the food in with him. After a few hours i give the pinkie a little shake infront of him and he Whacked it so fast i jumped outta my skin.
Im not an expert or anything but try to give it a wiggle with some tweezers/tongues
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  17:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dykie

Hawkeye
My Hercules was the same and totally ignored the food in with him. After a few hours i give the pinkie a little shake infront of him and he Whacked it so fast i jumped outta my skin.
Im not an expert or anything but try to give it a wiggle with some tweezers/tongues

Thanks for the additional advice Dykie, any input is appreciated, and who knows your idea might just be exactly what is needed, only I hope he takes at first go. Well see tomorrow night.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000