Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  11:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys

I gave in to temptation and I bought a corn snake yesterday. First snake i have ever kept. I bought it + tank and extras from a local fish/Reptile centre.

I asked about feeding habits and was told they needed to be fed 1 a week and approx 48 hrs after feeding they would regurgitate the bits they didn't eat (usually into the water dish). Looking around the FAQs on this site it seems they will regurtitate only if something is wrong like i picked it up. So what do i need to look out for after I have fed the snake?

Also i was told i should feed him on tuesday and then weekly after that, again the FAQs suggested feeding out of the tank. i assume it's ok to pick the snake up and put him in the tank straight after feeding?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've got one of those silly pet shop workers (I think he must have been thinking of an owl)

Yes, you are right- they only regurge when something is wrong. How old is the snake? I would feed a hatchling every 3-5 days, a yearling every 5-7 days and an adult every 7-10 days.

The 48 hours thing the shop man told you about was probably a warning about handling. Do not handle your snake for 48 hours after feeding otherwise it might regurge (put putting him gently back into the viv after feeding is fine- just not proper handling)

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:17:37  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You need to leave your snake for a week to settle in. NO hadeling, No feeding, dont worry he wont go hungry! Only put your hand in to change the water each day. Then you can handle him.
As for feeding, they dont regurgatate the uneaten bits! The will regurgatate a meal if they feel threttened so they can move away quicker as they cant with a full belly! Or if there is something wrong. After feeding leave for 48 hours before handaling again.
Feeding out the viv is so they dont swallow bits of substrate or associate your hand with food! It is ok to pick them up breefly after feeding to return them to the viv, but after the meal has gone down. (the bump will be about half way down the body) dont pick the snake up here though!

Going by what the bloke in the shop said they dont seem to know much! Did he sell you a thermostat to go with the heat mat? also you will need 2 hides 1 for the warm end one for the cold end. What is your set up like? Not being nosey, but im sure others will agree, we just want to help you get it right and learn more for you and the snakes sake!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably wise to ask Paulasparky- it's obvious the shop doesn't know it's stuff so it's best to ask to make sure they didn't come out with anymore corkers of bad advice

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good questions paulasparky, pet shops like this annoy me because they are just interested in making some quick money- setups for snakes should be up and running days before the snake arrives. the guy from the shop was obviously talking out of his back end. paula has made some goog points mealies, keep us informed.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:33:19  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can ya tell I done my research!!!!??? Alot of It I know from when I had my last corn, I read alot of books as I did not have the internet, But since being on this forum I have learnt so much more, Bam Is my second and Im still leaning!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all thanks for all the advice. I feel a bit of a muppet, i used to keep tropical fish (many moons ago) and since i felt this shop knew their stuff about fish I could trust them with snakes.

Nope, no thermostat to go with the heat mat, they said only 1 hide was needed. The below pics are the only ones i have but the hide is at the warm end with the water dish at the other (as per petshop instructions)

Also the tank is not compatible with the Heat mat, as in the lid of the tank has no cable holes, so at the moment the heat mat power cable is going out the top corner with lots of sellotape on the outside keeping it down to stop the snake from escaping. The only reason i did not take it back is what do i put the snake in for the meantime. So i will be contacting them to get refund/replacement equipment.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/9XPLJgvPxu5vGKGngtloNw?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/giY1APZ94f9t88cMmmp-LA?feat=directlink

ps Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

Edited by - n/a on 24/08/2009 12:37:31
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  12:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you MUST get a thermostat ASAP!! they are essential for the health and safety of your snake (which is lovely by the way!) unregulated heat mats can cause severe burns to your snake as temps will keep rising. http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/thermostats-555.html this is a good site to purchase equipement from. also do not use tape in the tank as if your snake gets stuck to it it can cause injury and stress.

you will need another hide in the cool end of your set-up to allow your snake to thermoregulate, essential for good health and the digestion of meals.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:02:26  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also the heat mat must be under the viv! Not in it. For plastic and galss its under, wood it goes in. You not a muppet, You have just been given the wrong advice. It's happend to us all at some time or another. As for another hide, A simple toilet roll tube will be fine for a hide, many people use them!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tape was only used on the outside of the tank, . Not being funny but how does a thermostat work? does it connect up with the heat mat? Do i need to get a specific thermostat depending on make/model of heat mat?

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh ok, the heat mat is in the viv under the substrate. I am going to need some advice on what to do next: I suppose the best thing to do when i get back from work is to:

Take the snake out of viv and into carrying container.
Take the heat mat out and put under tank
add 2nd hide at cool end
buy a thermostat

Would that be best
Andrew
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:25:26  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Spot on hun x! The type of thermostat you need will ba a mat stat. Also a digital themomitor, so you can get the temp right at the hot end, dont go by the dial on the thermostat. They are easy to set up. The heatmat pluggs into the thermostat, themostat into the mains, probe in the viv warm end, simple!!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good plan

Don't worry about it not knowing- you've started asking questions early before any harm done which is always the best way.

A thermostat connects to the heat mat by the plug. Don't worry about not being able to connect it as it's dead easy. All it does is cut off the electricity going to the mat when the temperature inside the viv is alright, then turns it back on the temps fall. (This saves you electricity too so good for you as well as your snake). A standard mat stat from either Habistat or microclimate will surffice for your set-up. They are about £17.99- £22.

Like Paulusparky says- a toilet roll tube will do as a second hide for a while. It's important that they have one in the cool end and one in the warm end. (They did tell you to only put the heat mat under a third of the faun didn't they?)

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:31:22  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also where abouts are you? Someone might be able to pop round and help you set up the thermostat if your not to sure.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  13:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, will order a thermostat and digital thermometer today to arrive ASAP.

Thanks for all the advice, i have learnt a lot in the last hour

to answer the question about heat mat. Nope did not say about keeping 1/3 cool, however heat mat is smaller than tank. I did read it in the FAQs so when i have set the mat up properly, i will set it up so it's not under the last 1/3 of the tank and add a 2nd hide at that end.

Andrew

Edit: Live in Bexley, S.E London

Edited by - n/a on 24/08/2009 13:44:09
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  17:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done andrew, sounds good. you're snake will be glad to have you as owner and be out of that shop!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  19:41:31  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with you Sexybear! he is going to be one happy snakey now!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  21:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys

Just to let you know, i took him out of the tank and sorted out the heat mat. The mat is now underneath the tank and not covering the whole length, so there is now a cool spot in the tank.

I also added a toilet roll tube as a 2nd hide for him. Will be getting the thermostat and thermometer delivered in the next few days so that will be sorted by the weekend

He seems to be enjoying the surroundings, he likes hanging from the lid of the tank and resting on the top of the hide

Andrew

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  21:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok sounds good. just make sure that your heat mat isnt cooking your snake! it should feel quite cool to a human, body temp 37c as snakes need a max of 30c. If in doubt, take it out!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just going to say, Nice bright snake you've got there.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, i chose him as he was the brightest coloured out of all of the snakes they had.

I have purchased a thermostat which should arrive shortly, will be happier once that is in place

Andrew
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000