Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:11:02  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

If you want something to walk around with get a dog. Please please please dont fall into the "I got a snake so people think im cool" catagory.

What if it got away from you?
Could you monitor its temperature when you were out?
What if it scares someone when they hold it and they crush him?
What if (yes, its a big if), people get ill after handling him? (salmonella)
And with the snake things on the news at the moment I dont think its appropriate at all.

I have 2 dogs , and the reason i took the snake out is to edjucate people about snakes not to look cool and its not my fault some ppl decided to snake a pic of him ??

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:12:15  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Matty On this, Some people are petrified of snakes, and it is cruel, yes it might have been warm, but your body temp is warmer than the warm side of the viv, so combine this with the sun for a while you risk him getting ill as he wont be able to get cool (thermoregulate)

I have a mate who is petrified of snakes and over the past month she has been coming round and is slowley getting used to Bam. But when she first found out I had him she freeked and run out the flat. Her boyfriend had to chase after her as she has panic attacks, and she was having one. I never knew of her fear, If I did I would have told her about Bam before she came round. What if you was walking round town and someone like her spotted the snake?
Im not having ago, but you really do have to think before takeing your snake out in public. If you want him outside, take him in your garden.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:15:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

If you want something to walk around with get a dog. Please please please dont fall into the "I got a snake so people think im cool" catagory.

What if it got away from you?
Could you monitor its temperature when you were out?
What if it scares someone when they hold it and they crush him?
What if (yes, its a big if), people get ill after handling him? (salmonella)
And with the snake things on the news at the moment I dont think its appropriate at all.

I have 2 dogs , and the reason i took the snake out is to edjucate people about snakes not to look cool and its not my fault some ppl decided to snake a pic of him ??

By all means, keep trying to educate people about snakes, but taking a snake out in public is not the way to do it.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:18:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

how about edjucating yourself on spelling instead...........
with all the recent bad press it probably wasn't the cleverest thing to do.........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:20:08  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage
I would just be worried about stressing out the snake, I took lucien to hannahb's house in a RUB box for 15 mins for the photo comp and I was worrying I was stressing him.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  21:39:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i regularly take mine to rep night, it's about 25 mins in the car, just put the snake(s) in a tub and head off.......

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  22:38:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Is it normal for the cornsnake breed to have a small head and neck and the rest of the body is big or is there some thing wrong with Champagne

quote:

ive been feeding him 2 adult mice to fatten him up a lil bit,

This is why he has an unusually small head, its call 'pinhead' syndrome. A snake's body grows a lot quicker than its head, so overfeeding to 'fatten it up' will lead to this as well as other possible health problems.

Corns (as already mentioned) are opportunistic and will often eat what you offer regardless of how much they 'need'.

quote:

Yesterday we had fantasic weather and i took him to the park and then i took him in to town city centre and every one was taking pictures of him its like he was famous i could not belive it i thought every one will be scared i even let a few kids touch him and handle him so they are aware that there is nothing wrong with owning a snake.

Don't get me started on this.

I think you really ought to ask yourself why you have this pet and do what's best for it rather than you.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  22:57:52  Show Profile
Why after all the recent bad press, and questions being asked about wildlife licences being necessary, would you take a snake that you have only owned for a month or so into a town centre???
Why do you want a snake? Please think about the effect you may have on your snake by doing this. And if you really want to educate people, learn more about the subject yourself first.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  23:06:50  Show Profile
quote:

Yesterday we had fantasic weather and i took him to the park and then i took him in to town city centre and every one was taking pictures of him its like he was famous i could not belive it i thought every one will be scared i even let a few kids touch him and handle him so they are aware that there is nothing wrong with owning a snake.

Sorry hiper, I am afraid that I agree with what everyone else has said, I just would have put it a bit more tactfully. I know how stressful it is for Kellog to be around too many people and touched by too many, let alone carried around and 'shown off'.
I also have a friend who is petrified of snakes but doesnt want to pass that fear on to her kids. On Monday I had her sitting on my sofa with her son on her lap while he stroked Kellog, which is a major step towards her conquering her fear.
If you want to educate people then talk to them about your snake and snakes in general, you dont need to put your snake through stress to accomplish it. And with friends and family you have the chance to educate them where he is happy and safe and unstressed, where he should be - at home. xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  10:32:30  Show Profile
I agree with everybody (but hiper) on this one- what you did to Champagne was totally and unforgivably stupid. Only experienced and confident handlers and keepers should show their snakes to the general public, and they will only do it under controlled circumstances, such as an evening at a shop. To take your snake from the safety and warmth of its viv, and parade it around a town center (no matter how "nice the weather was"- your snake was probably terrified and freezing cold) is something a silly little kid would do because they want to feel big and clever.

and there is something wrong with owning a snake- when the owner doesnt know anything about their pet...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  13:56:30  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
I know i agree with you all what i did was wrong and i will learn from my mistakes , but i didnt take him out to show off as im not that sort of person , and i love my champagne to bits !!! And i wont be doing this again. We all make mistakes at one point and i am new to owning a snake and i can only learn what you people are telling me.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  15:54:06  Show Profile
no worries then mate! can understand why you love him so much- he is a beautiful snake!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

no worries then mate! can understand why you love him so much- he is a beautiful snake!

Thanks SB <3

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  16:04:57  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
i just hope hiper you realise that you have made a really stupid mistake and wont do anything like that again. i cant stress how angry many of us probably are with the stupidity shown. under no circumstance should that happen because if i saw someone walking around the town with s snake i would walk up to him and seriously think about checking the snake out because the snake could so easily damage or pics up mites in the open with so many people around.

i hope you be the bigger person and except you made a mistake and now go off in a mood now after what has been said
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  21:57:30  Show Profile
I think everybody has made there feelings very clear and hiper seems to have learnt from his mistake - I truly hope so. I dont think there is any doubt that he loves Champagne. Hiper must also understand the reason we all reacted as strongly as we did, some more strongly than others. It is a learning process and this is the end of the lesson. xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  13:13:13  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I think everybody has made there feelings very clear and hiper seems to have learnt from his mistake - I truly hope so. I dont think there is any doubt that he loves Champagne. Hiper must also understand the reason we all reacted as strongly as we did, some more strongly than others. It is a learning process and this is the end of the lesson. xxx

Yup i have learned from my mistake and in face im glad you all spoke to me like this as thats how i will learn !!

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  16:34:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
if you're feeding him 2 medium mice or 2 large mice every week then its too much and thats why his head looks too small, when its the other way around - his body will be too big for his head.

cut the feeds to 1 mouse every 2 weeks ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  18:14:31  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if you're feeding him 2 medium mice or 2 large mice every week then its too much and thats why his head looks too small, when its the other way around - his body will be too big for his head.

cut the feeds to 1 mouse every 2 weeks ;)

Ive cut him down to 1`mouse every 1 week

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  19:49:40  Show Profile
like the new sig hiper

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  22:59:25  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

like the new sig hiper

Thx hun

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000