Worried...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  15:09:47  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey all.
I've basically caught Astra going "diving" in her water bowl a few times. She actually submerges her head and the front 10-15cm of her body into the water and moves about, nuzzling the inside sides of the waterbowl. Not only that, but she is spending alot more time in her water bowl than she usually would. I'm worried it might be mites, but I can't seem to see any on her body or around her eyes, but what I did see are two scales, one on the side of her head and one a couple centimetres down that are half orange. It's basically as if the scale itself was half red/orange in colour, which shouldn't be possible in an anery.
Any advice? =(

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  16:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got any pics mate? Maybe record her doing this diving malarkey..

Is she in shed?
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  18:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As hillzi said pics would help but it does sound like mites
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:08:39  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
are the marks scratches? also if its been a warm day they sometimes sit in the water to cool off a bit.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a few of mine completely submerge their head in their water bowls........ i'd be more inclined to think about mites if she was spending a lot of time with her whole body in the water

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:10:40  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hm, I can't actually take a photo, I tried, but my phone camera just isn't good enough, that and Astra refuses to sit still.
She hasn't had her whole body in the water at any point. Thing is, I thought the marks might be scratches, but they feel completely smooth.
Though now that you point it out, it might just be since its been really warm up here lately...hmm..I dunno, I'll keep a close eye on her, and record her doing the diving thing. It's good to hear that it's normal though gingerpony, it's just I seemed to see her at it several times earlier today and I had never seen her doing it before.

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the ones of mine that tend to submerge their whole head tend to do it as soon as i put fresh water in lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

the ones of mine that tend to submerge their whole head tend to do it as soon as i put fresh water in lol

Trio does that, the whole head underwater with his nose running around the edge of the water bowl, just in case there's something there that he hasn't seen yet.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000