Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  14:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah okay, these ideas are much better than mine. I think I will just put the mice in a bag and put it in warm water for a while. How long would this take to defrost?

Can someone also tell me all the 'wrong' points of just putting the mice in boiling water with some cold water?
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  16:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have reduced the temperature of the boiling water with cold water then it is OK - but snakes should not have cooked food, and if you put a pink in boiling water it would start to cook it. I use either water from the hot tap or I use boiled water mixed with cold water so that it is fairly hot, but not hot enough to cook the mouse. I don't use a bag either... but then again I do have 1 snake I have to leave the mouse to defrost at room temp as she doesn't like hers wet, and the one time I tried a bag it leaked so still got wet lol!

Go to Top of Page

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  19:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to let I defrost at room temp.some people want it nice and warm but my mist will eat an ice cube given the chance.lol

female corn mist.staffy cross English bull Kelsey
Go to Top of Page

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  14:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
smart bunny, what would you say is the best ratio for cold and boiling water?
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  14:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um, I don't know about ratio - I probably put about 50/50, but always test it with my finger first so it is a comfortable temperature to put my hand in, and add more cold if it feels a bit hot.

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  22:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave the small stuff on top of the warm side of the viv till defrosted, if the heads need warming they go in a bag and into hot water for a few minutes. I use a bag because once I thawed a rat, put it in hot water and when I removed it the stomach burst open and was no so nice also the snake wouldn't eat it wet and gooey

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x

Edited by - Lee on 20/06/2013 22:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Slinkey23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  23:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I leave the small stuff on top of the warm side of the viv till defrosted, if the heads need warming they go in a bag and into hot water for a few minutes. I use a bag because once I thawed a rat, put it in hot water and when I removed it the stomach burst open and was no so nice also the snake wouldn't eat it wet and gooey

Similar thing happened with one of my pinkys,mthe water seemed to fill it up an bloat it, after that i started using bags

1.0.0 Carolina Corn
1.0.0 staffordshire bull terrier
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000