holding then feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  19:59:47  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hello there i just got my new baby corn snake fed him for the first time today i was just wondering how long i should wait till i next hold him all i want to do is hold him seen as he is new to the family :) but i dont want to make him feel uncomfortable or anything that will hurt him

moved to appropriate section by Kellog

1 ghost corn snake

Edited by - Kellog on 19/06/2013 20:33:44

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  20:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couple of days

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  20:26:51  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you only just got him it would be a good idea to leave him to settle for a week.
Like gamc said it is recommended to leave them for 48 hours after feeding to allow for digestion.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  20:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so exciting getting your first snake ....and your second, and third . And it's SO frustrating because you want to get to know it but you need to make sure that it isn't stressed and settles in ok. Gmac and Herriotfan have given you the best advice . It would also be good for you to look at A very ROUGH feeding guide , Handling tips and, if its a hatchling you've got, Setting up a hatchling corn - My 101 . There are also other threads in that section that are very helpful, like about what to expect with shedding.

If you can't find what you need to know using the search option then please ask. We don't bite....much .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  21:17:39  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ok thank-you for all the great feed back x

1 ghost corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  21:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need for the thanks Conor, it's what we're here for ....although its nice to be appreciated .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  21:49:59  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope your new snake settles in well :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  06:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on getting your baby corn - they are tons of fun (I got my first one about three and a half months ago).

I know what you mean about wanting to hold him whenever you can, it can be so frustrating on digesting days can't it?

This is only what I have found, but sometimes I can tell if my little one doesn't want picking up. If she isn't up for it, I pop her back in her viv gently. Other times she will stay out for up to an hour but I let her decided.

The other thing I have got (and my hatchie loved this, and she still does) is that I have got a big towel for the bed and a box of snake toys to stimulate her if she is in the mood for "out of the viv" time. I pop things like some fake plastic flowers, a couple of loo roll centres, a bit of lego and she seems to like the PS3 controller too on it, along with a hide so that she can tell me when she has had enough.

Your little man might appreciate that when he is fully settled in, and it will help you to get to know him lots (and give you a chance for lots of pictures too )

I would definitely go with a little half coco hide too, it is just so you know when he has had enough. Hope you have lots of fun with him

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  09:15:01  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ok thanks Foxtrotsierra i will give it a go and see if he likes it thanks :)

1 ghost corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  10:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by conormclaren

ok thanks Foxtrotsierra i will give it a go and see if he likes it thanks :)

I hope he does, and please, call me Fi as Foxtrotsierra is too many letters to be typing! One last thing I forgot to mention, a little water dish would be a good idea too, so that your little boy can have a drink if he wants (took me a few goes to work that one out !!). I thought she wanted back in her viv but all she wanted was a drink and then back out for some more "playtime".

You might find the first few goes he will just go to his hide, but after a while curiosity will definitely get the better of him and he will be popping out to see what you have put there for him to explore

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  10:38:05  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is a really sweet idea Fi. My Mo tends to hide away and only becomes active after 9pm. I think i'll get her some fun toys for her to e'splore about :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  05:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

That is a really sweet idea Fi. My Mo tends to hide away and only becomes active after 9pm. I think i'll get her some fun toys for her to e'splore about :)

I hope Mo does, I would love to hear if she does. Like I said, it can take a few goes, but my Cathy loves it. I feed her weekly (she was on a maintenance diet at the breeder and she still refuses to budge even now she is on double pinkies and is getting quite big) so I generally feed her on a Tuesday night and then get her out on Friday morning now as I like to leave her a little longer (she has known to regurge before I got her).

She tends to enjoy playtime in the morning but on feeding day I get her out about an hour before I feed her too, I just seem to get a better feeding response from her, and I get to see her more!

Another thing she likes to do is look at herself in the mirror! The first time she spent ages looking for "the other snake" but now she just likes to sway in front of it.

She even has a playpen with a mesh top that I can take her outside in on nice days

(I have to explain the overkill with her - I am in a wheelchair and my husband let me get her as she really is a pet I can look after by myself). She isn't a replacement for having children either as I have 4 of them to look after! I just noticed after a while that she seemed to enjoy being out of the viv and being handled, so we have run with it and she has a rather large toy box!

It took her a while to settle and start feeding with me, but once she had it turns out she is one nosey little girl.

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: