New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slink
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  14:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, slink has just gone into blue and a couple if sheds ago had a bad shed. With the last shed I bought a wet hide which came with some moss which I used to make it more humid and this worked perfectly because the shed came off all in one. I don't have any of that moss left and the person I bought it from said that sphagnum moss is just as good (bought from a garden centre). I have jut been to the local garden centre and could only find "natural moss", does anyone know if this is the same thing or if I do need to get sphagnum moss specifically?
Your help is really appreciated :)

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  15:54:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just put a damp flannel on the warm hide.
Normal garden moss is no good because it can have bugs in.
You can get s/moss from any reptile outlet. You would still have time to get some and make a hide if you wanted before your snake sheds if his eyes have only just gone blue.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 18/06/2013 15:56:37
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  18:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just used damp paper towels when I didn't have any moss. As long as its wet and clean Garden centre moss can have bugs in like herriotfan said. Snakes can catch mites from such sources.

I would get sphagnum moss specifically for reptiles if I were you, then you know it is safe for them

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  18:55:39  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How big is the little guy?
I use biodegradable plant pots as everyday hides, they can then be dampened for sheds but dry out back to their original shape, they only come in fairly small sizes though. shame

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Slink
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  19:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last measurement slink was about 90cm, I will try the damp flannel and /or te paper towel inside the hide in that case. Thanks for the advice I shall follow this up with a few pics of slink post shed :)

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  20:42:34  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As with everyone here, you can use reptile safe moss from any reptile outlet, garden centre moss can contain bugs and maybe even fungi can grow if soaked in water.
Alternatives include damp paper towels, damp cloth.
Hope all sheds well :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  08:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope he sheds ok George. As Herriotfan has said, you do have time to get some sphagnum moss if his eyes have only just clouded over. I've used WildWorldReptiles before and they are good - http://www.wildworldreptileshop.co.uk/lucky-reptile-sphagnum-moss-100g/

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000