Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  16:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your mice are frozen do you leave it out to defrost by itself or do you put it in water from the kettle?

What's the safest way, or all all methods safe?

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  17:06:22  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I pop the frozen mice into a polythene bag and then suspend the bag in a cafeteria of hot water for 15 - 20 mins so the snakies have a nice warm dinner.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  17:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I place the mouse in a polythene bag too, but leave it at room temp to defrost. I then put it in warm water to bring it up to mammal body temp before feeding it to the snake.

Corns: 1.2.0 Caramel Tessera Het Stripe ph lots (Oak) Caramel (Willow) Caramel Stripe Het Amel (Juniper)
Royals: 1:1:0 Lesser Pastel (Bismuth) Cinna Spin (Indium)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  18:21:04  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put mine on kitchen roll on the top of my beardies viv. The heat from the basking lamp thaws them a treat.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  18:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a tub with a bit of kitchen roll and leave to defrost naturally at room temperature. No poaching, roasting or heating required.

I sometimes give the head of a rat for the Carpet Python a 1 minute blast with a hair drier. It sometimes has a problem finding the head with black head rats.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  19:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do the same as Auld, mouse in a plastic tub with kitchen roll underneath and left for 2-3 hours depending on size. The little housie has his warm though, so his pink is defrosted in warm water for 5 minutes

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  20:03:56  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I run the hot tap til it is at its hottest and then fill a bowl with the hot water and chuck them in. After an hour or so I do the same but only for 5-10 minutes to get them nice and hot (more for my carpets benefit but the corns don't mind )

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  20:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave mine on the side and will sit it on Jeffs heat mat while I feed him then I feed the snakes.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  21:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

I run the hot tap til it is at its hottest and then fill a bowl with the hot water and chuck them in. After an hour or so I do the same but only for 5-10 minutes to get them nice and hot (more for my carpets benefit but the corns don't mind )

Basically my routine but I only leave them for 30 minutes before I switch the water out.

oh and I use a tall glass instead of a bowl..

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

jenjen23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  22:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a tub on top of the vivs, the heat lamp makes the top warm so they defrost a bit faster and are slightly warmed. Both mine feed great on them

0.0.1 Normal Cornsnake, 2 years old - Basil
0.1.0 Crawl Cay Boa, 1.5 years - Luna
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  22:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take them out of the freezer, put them on kitchen roll and leave them out for an hour, two if they are bigger than a small just to be sure they're fully thawed out. Sometimes I give them a blast with a hairdrier, Apollo finds it easier to find the head if it is warm and Aphrodite is much more interested in warm food but both of them will eat without so normally I don't bother

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2013 :  07:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put Cathy's mice (well, bit of an overstatement, she is currently on double pinkies) on a plate in between a bit of kitchen paper to defrost, on top of the wardrobe which is next to her viv. She seems happy with it so I don't see any reason to change (though when it gets colder, I will probably defrost them on top of her viv). The smell of it defrosting seems to stimulate her feeding response quite well as she was a really fussy feeder when I got her.

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2013 :  16:53:30  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just leave them in a tub, but then I have to find somewhere to put them away from the cats reach, normally in the oven (not turned on by the way)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Freddiesmum
Sub Adult

1083 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2013 :  16:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you imagine if the oven was on! haha.

I pop them in a sandwich bag, and defrost in warm (not boiling) water.

1.1.0 Corn Snakes, Oscar the Golddust Motley, Emmy the Ultramel Anery
2.0.0 Cats, Yoda and Ed
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, Masuka
1.0.0 Western Hognose Snake - Hugo
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  08:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have to warm Colas up after defrosting. Had to use the hairdryer. She was a fussy feeder for a while but now seems to just enjoy them defrosted and takes them at room temp now.
Go to Top of Page

BILMAN
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  11:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told by the girl I bought Snakey from to just put the mice in a bowl of boiled water and leave it for 2-3 minutes then after that let it cool for another 2-3 minutes. This would sometimes makes the stomach of the mice burst so then my old pet shop man told me to add a little cold water to the bowl first to stop the bursting.

Then the other day my father said there is a limit to how hot the water should be for bacteria to thrive so we're gonna try a new method. This old pet shop man I have been told has quite a few bad reputations.

What is the safest or best method I should use? Or should I just continue doing what I have always been doing?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  13:10:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put take mine out and leave them out to defrost in a tub. Don't like the idea of soft boiling my mice :p

I would just them out on the side to defrost naturally if you have the time. Adult mice I leave mine 6/7 hours and they are fine :p sometimes I do defrost with warm water but never boiling as it makes big mice stick like hell.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 15/06/2013 13:12:11
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  21:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cover and leave downstairs to come up to room temperature. Get Saracen into a tub with a lid on before bringing the mouse anywhere near him upstairs otherwise he gets VERY aggressive as soon as he smells it. Warm with a hairdryer, take the lid off and jump back as he darts out of the box snapping at anything that moves. Shove him and his box back in the viv and relax.

After that episode I can get Twilight out and give him a cuddle whilst he takes the mouse nicely from me. He's a much more refined eater!

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  12:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My are in a ventilated tub on top of the vivarium, I get them out in the morning and feed at night. About an hour before I feed I move the tub over the heat bulb to gently warm them up a bit for a better feeding response.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  13:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its a work day I put the pinkie in a tub with the lid loose in the fridge and take out when I get home for an hour, then I put the bag in warm water from the tap for 5 mins before feeding.

On the weekend I just put it in the tub for an hour or two then heat up with warm water for 5 mins.

I buy my pinkies from pets at home atm so they come in sealed plastic bags

Go to Top of Page

asmodias
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  16:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drop them in a bag and put the bag in a bowl full of warm water. It dethaws them quickly and makes them nice and warm for my corns. That, and it's better than just dropping them in because feeding snakes a soaking dead mouse is just annoying.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000