Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  22:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would love a bird, specifically a parrot. Have been looking at african greys, amazons and senegals, was just wondering if anyone had any experience, are they easy to look after / do they make good pets?

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
generally yes just aslong as they have been well cared for prior to you getting them, i used to hand rear parrots with my dad when i was young, very rewarding pets. most tend to like human interaction, some can be gender specific or like one person more than another. the bigger parrots especially hand reared ones are pricey. if you dont want them to be hand tame then i would go for smaller parrots/parakeets. a pair of lovebirds, rosellas, ****ateils, budgies.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hand tame is a must! :) would love a decent sized one, not big because they are pricey, want one that can talk and learn tricks :D

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and thing from a ****ateil to a macaw then

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou :)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  00:53:57  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be aware though that they can also become jealous.

Rare cases, but enough to be known, that they can become jealous of other pets, your wife/husband, children etc, so just make sure like with anything you read up.

And if they dont attack you as such they stress themselves and "self harm" with plucking of feathers, biting their own feet etc
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  02:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my grandad died, my parents got Pepi his african grey, very easy to look after, but if he decided he did not like any one, it was for life! really great character, miss him like crazy, he died a few years ago, but deff get a hand tame, those beaks can be nasty!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  07:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please don't buy babies that are cuddly tame, your only adding to the unwanted parrot population that way. If you can, get a rescue one their are so many out their that need new homes!

I disagree with the rest, they are not easy to look after as they are very time consuming. It's like having a small child. Sure giving them a bit of seed, giving them fruit and a whole lot of veg is easy but always giving them your time is not, specially if you get an angry one when it reaches sexual maturity. I have a grey and a 'too. They are very demanding for attention. If you have a full time job and everyone else does in your house I would not get one because when they are hand reared, they crave for human affection and when they don't get it, the shrieking can start then the self mutilation and at this point, they get dumped at a rescue place. Because they are hand reared, they get human imprinted which means they think of one human as their mate and will tend to act evily to others.

Also, not all birds are talkers, the ****atoos do not talk. Our grey will talk but it prefers to make stupid noises it has picked up and will not do tricks as that is how she is, she is very cage protective they grey and will go for anyone that comes near her cage when shes in it, or out.

If you are really want a parrot, please read up and maybe join this place. http://www.parrot-link.co.uk/ there are a lot of people with different types of parrots and birds their you can ask questions, people that have rehomed and people that help or run parrot rescue centres.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  16:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very helpful, thanks :)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:38:59  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got a senegal. I love her to bits and she's such a character but she takes lots of time and attention to keep her happy. I'm very lucky to have the time and a very understanding family who tolerate all my pets. Peanut spends a lot of time out of her cage, free to go where she likes (within reason) or to sit on my shoulder. She has a very large cage full of branches/toys/boredom breakers to go in when I need or want to put her away. She loves being with me and is very interested in 'helping' with the other animals. She is a happy little bird who sings, talks and plays for hours on end. She also has the odd day when she's nasty and just wants to screech and beat her toys up.
I wouldn't be without her for the world but like I say you do need to have the time to devote to them....very clever and not a creature to be dumped and left in a cage all day.
Hope that's helped...

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  00:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i would love a senegal! such beautiful birds, had a word with the parents and they're not keen.. can't blame them so i'll have to wait a bit yet, obviously as i'm only 18 i do have quite a bit of time to spend looking after them. but yeah, future pet i guess, definitely on the wish list

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

burton2236
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  00:33:23  Show Profile  Click to see burton2236's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
go on google and search macaw recuse they give great advice
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  13:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had two conures but I had to rehome them. They make a huge amount of noise and the poor dog would sit shaking at the top of the garden and as he was here first so......
Do alot of research in to varoius breeds and I would also suggest having some close contact with someone elses first so you get an idea of what you are letting yourself in for. They are amusing to watch and can be loving but can also be really nasty. Believe me a beek can do alot of damage to both you and your home! They can also develop some really annoying habits. Ringing like a telephone for most of the day can literally send you up the wall. Oh and chucking huge amounts of seed and other food at you when ever you go past them can get rather annoying.

We just have a budgie now, came on holiday 4 years ago and never went home.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Edited by - Red123 on 24/01/2012 14:03:26
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:02:48  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lol @ Red

I think although it be annoying, ringing like a telephone and throwing food at people walking by is hilarious in a sense lol, imagine u need a cup of tea and cnt b ****d to get, bir makes telephone ring, misus gets up, "can ya make a cup of tea while u up love?" lmao classic!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:12:46  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They're very comical when they speak but that can take a long time to happen. Not all parrots will talk. I'm lucky that mine does but she also mimics other household noises and is very good at it. Our doorbell often rings and makes the dogs bark......the 'doorbell' that is Peanut I hasten to add. It amazes me how she gets the pitch, volume and timing exact.

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:23:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also, when you have a parrot you kinda have to say good bye to social life or, have someone there to kind of parrot sit. They grey bites hurt, you can be so nice to her but if she decides she doesn't like them, that's it can she can draw blood! Bigger birds like ****atoos and macaws have sent people to A&E with their bites, they can crush nut shells easily. Our ****atoo is a dear but I don't know if all parrots have bad mood swings or not but you can be their fussing and cuddling them one moment, the next second they are huffed up, biting you and screaming. They also love to try and chew on anything they can when they are out and when they don't want to go back in... you also can't just shove a load of toys and hope they will amuse themsleves, we got ours a load of nice toys, they either sheer very clear away from some, they grey even freaks out or they will destroy it in within a week.

The telephone ringing doesn't get annoying to me, no noises are annoying to me it's just not great when you trying to talk on the phone or someone round your house and they don't like how your not giving them attention as your focused on something else and they scream. The throwing food can be teachable against, ish. Every time the too would do it as us, we stopped sweeping up or telling him off, just let him carry on doing that until he had no seed. It would then be a few hours where he was out food so he soon learnt. He does chuck some seed out sometimes as he's looking for the best in the mix.

Our grey asks people as soon as they walk through the door if they want a cup of coffee, will make plate clacking noises. If she's ****ed with the dog trying to hoover up feathers and seed around her cage she will say "Shell... OUT! BAD GIRL, GET OUT!" so the dog leaves then then she will go "Shelly * whistle*" so the dog comes back in and then she sends it out again.

So many parrots get shoved in out buildings with hardly any light where its quite cold as people get fed up of them. Infact their are so many placed in rescues because of the fact they are in a rescue and don't get enough human attention and star to get ill because of it, they are being put down, and most of these birds sell for a grand as well. That's another thing, cage + bird + toys + upkeep = expensive! If you want a cuddly bird, get a chicken :P

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:47:15  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to say I do agree with Sta~ple. Unless you're prepared to put the time and money into a parrot then it's kinder not to get one. Our Peanut is very lucky to have a home where her needs are understood & met, her 'off' days tolerated and I researched more than you can imagine before I got her! Also don't forget that a parrot can live many years so it needs consideration for the long term.

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  19:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at the end of the day i would be prepared to put a lot of time and money into any of my pets, sounds like they are a lot of hard work but they look and sound like amazing pets as well. i'll leave it for a couple of months and have a think about it, oh and we tried chickens.. fox liked them more than we did apparently!

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  20:18:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think big parrots make good pets nor so I think they should be pets at all. Suppose with a mid size like an amazons there are lots of toys and advise out there but also a lot of unwanted ones.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  20:22:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

at the end of the day i would be prepared to put a lot of time and money into any of my pets, sounds like they are a lot of hard work but they look and sound like amazing pets as well. i'll leave it for a couple of months and have a think about it, oh and we tried chickens.. fox liked them more than we did apparently!

They're awesome and I love my Peanut to bits
Do lots of research and then if you're still sure it's the right thing to do go for it. You sound as if you'd be a great owner..... my best wishes!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  20:37:39  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
You sound as if you'd be a great owner..... my best wishes!!

What a lovely thing to say

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic