Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  21:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw thanks! got my eyes set on a hahns macaw. and i totally agree with you sta~ple, i've seen the size of them and the noise they make, not really suitable for a house

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  14:27:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hahns macaws look adorable! Don't know much about them at all though. It's not really the size or noise, it the fact hey get so attached to people and most peoples life styles really aren't suitable for parrots.

To be honest, I would love a toucan.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  16:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they do don't they! done my research and they are quite noisy, nothing compared to the big parrots though, grow to 18 inches with half of that being their tail.. only problem is where to find one, saw one on preloved, looked perfect and was a 2 minute drive from me but has been sold :( other than that they seem to be hard to find, also looked at conures and indian ringneck's

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  18:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Used to have Kakarikis, they are quite fun! would watch tv/ on computer with them swinging on my fringe!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  21:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
decided to take the plunge, been looking all day but absolutely no one has any parrots of any sort.. does anyone know a breeder / shop that sells them?

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Puffin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  21:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I’m a bird owner. To be honest as much as I love them, I agree with Sta~ple that parrots don't really make great pets unless you have the time/attention/space/money for them. I have a c0ckatiel and a parrotlet (that thinks he's a full sized macaw) and they are a handful as it is.

Whilst I don't really agree with rescuing an ill or mistreated parrot unless you know what you are doing (because you are more likely to do more damage than help it out), I definitely recommend looking on sites like Preloved for birds that need rehoming. I got Kiwi from there, as his previous owners no longer had the time for him. I went to see him before I took him home, it was obvious he had a great home where he was, so it was a shame in a way, but he is really friendly and I love him to pieces and he gives me an excuse to splash out my money on!

I would also advise against buying the bird from a pet shop! (Though that’s not much of a problem with big birds in this country) When I got Freyja I didn’t realize she was ill, I only noticed a week after I got her (birds tend to hide their illness until they are extremely sick), thankfully I was able to take her to the vet and get her the right medicine. Also birds from pet shops are usually not brought up in the best conditions as the breeders who supply them only care about the money.

I hope this is useful to you (and makes sense, lol).

0.0.1 CB14 Creamsicle Corn - Pumpkin
1.0.0 CB10 Pacific Parrotlet - Kiwi
1.0.0 CB15 Djungarian Hamster - Mischeif
1.0.0 CB15 Honduran Curlyhair Tarantula
1.0.0 CB15 Pinktoed Tarantula
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  22:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the infomation, fortunately i do have a lot of spare time, i'm willing to give a lot of attention and i have enough space, money isnt really an issue. I've been looking on preloved and oodle but no luck, a lot of the adverts are breeders that dont actually have the birds. Most have phoned up 10-20 different numbers and they all say 'phone back in april' so guess i have to wait..

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  17:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right - i know this has all happened very quickly but i've bought an amazon. well i say bought.. i feel more like rescued. The bird came in a tiny cage, i'm buying a large one tomorrow, but he hasn't made a sound since i got him home 2 hours ago, is that normal?

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  18:36:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

right - i know this has all happened very quickly but i've bought an amazon. well i say bought.. i feel more like rescued. The bird came in a tiny cage, i'm buying a large one tomorrow, but he hasn't made a sound since i got him home 2 hours ago, is that normal?

Give your bird time to settle. No different to snakes, or any other pet, it's all very new and they need a while to get used to their surroundings.
Have you thought about going on a forum for amazons? You should find one on the web somewhere and as we all know they can give some great help and advice.
I'm happy for you and I'm sure your new addition will have a good home.
Looking forward to photos!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  18:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, photos will come, as soon as he doesnt try and take my hand off :)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000