Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  15:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My children and grand children are older than your sister but i have a 4 year old minx neighbour who comes in every day and i have made a game of cleanliness. Before coming near my snake 3 squirts of hand gel. After i use a savlon wipe on her hands so that i know that her hands are really clean so try that. I even went to my local chemist and she (keeps lizards) to find out what would be best for small hands. She also said that very little chance of catching anything using this method.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  17:06:29  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cheers guys ill tell my mum all of this when she comes home for the hospital.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  17:31:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's hard to get salmonella unless you lick the snakes body or eat its poo, your sister at 2 has a weaker immune system than you and your mum, so long as she doesn't touch the snake and you and everyone washes their hands after touching the snake and equipment including vivarium, there is no chance she will get ill from the snake.

Dogs carry the risk of slamonella too, specially since dogs love to roll and eat poo of various animals on a walk and they then lick people/objects.... same with cats and other mammals really, a different strain yes but still would make a young child very very sick.

There's a story floating around about a guy who had reptiles and got salmonella and was hospitalized. They found out it was salmonella, they blamed they reptiles he kepted. This happened on several occasions to which he then got rid of his reptiles. He still kept getting salmonella, turns out no-one narrowed down the strain and he kept catching it from his cat.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  18:40:34  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes definately the bacteria in lakes is far more dangerous and in more quantity then there is on a corn. i think your mum ( no disrespect) has as u said seem one web site and its put her risk factor higher then its needed. i have very often let my OH niece hold my snakes and have often had them round my neck and face and so far no problems as long as you wash before and after the dogs will remain more of a risk then the snake

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  23:08:53  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as long as you wash ur hands before and after handling (as said previously) with anti-bacterial soap and/or a alcohol gel such as purell evereything shud b kool! I like to use both just to be sure germs/smells from my other animals (ive got a few) are not passed on :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  20:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 kids plus snakes,guinea pigs,a ****atiel and a millipede. The kids and I use antibacterial gel after handling any of the animals. Its just a case of applying normal hygiene which is important with any animal I think.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

DJRenegade
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  15:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2 year old daughter who has been handling my snake since i got him in June - sometimes we forget to wash hands (not often) and neither of us have got an illness. I think your mum is like mine and thinks snakes are satan, and that they will eat you in your sleep -.-

1.0.0 Corn
0.1.0 Boa
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  22:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ ^ lol at last bit!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  22:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep a bottle of I think it's F10 hand sanitizer next to the vivs, and I just pop a tiny dab of it on after cleaning out poop really. I used to use it constantly when I first got Lister, as I was worried about salmonella, but 5 more corns later and I don't fret about it anymore, just wash my hands with soap and water after normal handling :)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  15:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was interested in this theory so i did a couple of tests, i am fortunate enough to have a partner who works in a vet lab and can do these tests for me. I did a swab of one of the corns body, just down its spine, and i did a swab from its mouth.
two results, A SMALL amount of salmonella from the skin, not much at all, almost to the point that it wouldnt have been counted at all.
The second swab from the mouth was more interesting, it produced Pseudamonas, which in all honesty is worse tham salmonella, but again it was a small result, almost negligible.

The simple solution is the one that nearly everyone has already said, keep a squirty bottle of alcohol gel or hand sanitiser nearby and religiously use it BEFORE and AFTER handling.
Both swabs produced other bacteria, but nothing that would be able to live in a human host, so not important from this stand point.

From a health point of view, whilst both salmonella and Psudamonas are dangerous to people, the concentrations in which they are present in a healthy snake are not a worry.
In reality you could not wash your hands after holding and most likely be fine, its a bit like washing your hands after going to the toilet, the actual risk is fairly minimal, but it is a sensible and good PRECAUTION.

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  15:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Mike. Despite the fact that you regularly call people morons, your points are usually well back up and delivered! :)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  16:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had snakes for four years, I'm going to admit I only wash my hands after cleaning out with soap I've never used anti-bac sanitizer. I've never had salmonella or no-one else in my house has and my snakes are healthy and have never had diseases or problems health wise themselves.

Just thought I'd add that to the mix.
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  21:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The amounts picked up on a swab test are more concentrated than a normal touching process therefore you would find that touching a snake would be almost harmless to most people.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  21:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Well said Mike. Despite the fact that you regularly call people morons, your points are usually well back up and delivered! :)

they post regularly!!!

The amount picked up on a swab is LESS than would be encountered during handling, as i said, the swab was one single line down the back, a line the size of a cotton bud. Whilst handling the snake would typically go between fingers, up the arm, around the neck.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  21:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Anyway, what do you mean 'usually'???

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  22:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this done in a totally sterile way?Remember that we all carry the salmonella bacteria in some form.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  22:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coxymk2

Was this done in a totally sterile way?Remember that we all carry the salmonella bacteria in some form.

Shes a veterinary Haemotologist, she works for one of the largest Vet lab companies in the world, and has done for quite a few years, i think she has a fair idea on how to collect a sample.

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  22:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies but saying that you took the samples and had them tested by a 'friend' did leave it open to doubt as to the quality of the test.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  22:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coxymk2

My apologies but saying that you took the samples and had them tested by a 'friend' did leave it open to doubt as to the quality of the test.

Sorry i didnt mean that to come across quite as abrupt! Shes not a friend, shes my partner!

Incidentally, she wouldnt have grown the sample if the swab wasnt done properly!

Edited by - mikerichards on 23/12/2011 22:46:53
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  23:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No probs having worked with very dangerous chemicals before tests were done properly have become skeptical in regards to validty.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000