New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  06:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a argument with our lass over this, as i have been given a 3ft wooden viv from one of the woman at work.

now obviously i want to put the heat mat in the viv with the snakes when i set it all up (and put a RCD on it, so i dont have a fried snake)

our lass is arguing that she doesnt like the idea of the heatmat actually being in with the snake (currently in a 2ft fish tank), so wants to go with the Basking light option,

so my question is which one is better.

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  07:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say heat mat but that is all i use, but if i had to i would only use one NOT both
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  08:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

i would say heat mat but that is all i use, but if i had to i would only use one NOT both

Why NOT both, I do. Heat lamp for day temps and mat for nights (using the correct stats) offering a more natural environment. I appreciate it's not the most common setup but cannot understand why you say NOT both. Why an rcd? A pulse stat would suffice.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  08:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a RCD is just a device that can be plugged in before say a heatmat other electrical device (mostly used with Electric Lawnmovers or Pressure Washers) that cuts the power if there is any fault on the device.
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  08:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseargonaut12

a RCD is just a device that can be plugged in before say a heatmat other electrical device (mostly used with Electric Lawnmovers or Pressure Washers) that cuts the power if there is any fault on the device.

With all due respect I know what an RCD is but cannot understand why you feel the need to use one with a very low wattage heat mat!

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  09:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mick sorry what a meant was at the same time
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  10:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

mick sorry what a meant was at the same time

Technicly Matthew they are on at the same time. The heat lamp dimming stat is simply set higher than the mat pulse stat thus the mat stat kicks in and switches off, when the heat lamp timer switches off and the temp drops the mat stat kicks in and switches on and starts to heat.

I think Jase has got the wrong idea regarding RCD's, if there is nothing wrong with the current to or from the device the rcd will not trip, just because a mat starts to get too hot there is probably nothing wrong with the power to it, you just need a mat stat that will cut power when the desired temp is reached, an rcd will not do this.

You do as you please but be warned if you rely on an rcd you have no control over the mat and if a problem arises your snake will be fried long before the rcd is ever tripped.

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 24/12/2011 10:33:29
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  10:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, an rcd is a waste of time, it prevents electrocution, not over heating. What you want is a thermostat.
As to which is better, they both do the same job really, just in different ways to suit different animals requirements, personally i think a Mat is better for a corn, and it is cheaper to run, you can use a mat stat which is cheaper than a dimmer you would need for a bulb.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  12:49:05  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if its set up properly with the correct stats then theres no reason why a mat/lamp wouldn't work.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  14:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started with a lamp setup, but it needed switching off at night and started to drop too cold at night so I added a mat, the mat was set to 25-26oC and the bulb was set to 28oC with a timer to knock it off at night. It worked well but it was overcomplicating the heating of just 1 animal. I have now switched to ceramic heat bulbs, on 24/7, no light, slight raise in the ambient but just a very efficient and simple heating system. Its not as simple as a heat mat but I was never very happy with using a contact heater on my animal just incase something went wrong.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  15:15:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer heat mats over bulbs. I have my snakes in my bed room so bright red lights are annoying to sleep with. Plus mats are cheaper.

Bulbs can also go wrong at times, exploding but that's so very rare.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  17:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I personally prefer heat mats over bulbs. I have my snakes in my bed room so bright red lights are annoying to sleep with. Plus mats are cheaper.

That's the point of my original post, its personal choice, you can use either or both.

Go to Top of Page

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  18:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I presume that if you have a basking light the snake will come out more then curling up in a hide to warm up, as it will be warmer outside then in there hide
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  18:37:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

That's the point of my original post, its personal choice, you can use either or both.

So why quite me when others also expressed their opinions :P

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  22:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeji, this is really OT, but why do you have a picture of my friend's dog Maya in the petshop where she works as your signature picture? xD

Or is my internet blowing up, which wouldn't surprise me lol!

Edit: If I click it, it takes me to iansviv, so I think it may just be a bug with my internet :>

Edited by - Spreebok on 24/12/2011 22:15:29
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2011 :  01:28:34  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
just a hwads up from a electrician. a rcd detects a fault between neutral and earth. and as heat mats dont have a earth because the ars double insulated the rcd wont trip if a fault arises any way..

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2011 :  16:23:48  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Eeji, this is really OT, but why do you have a picture of my friend's dog Maya in the petshop where she works as your signature picture? xD

Or is my internet blowing up, which wouldn't surprise me lol!

Edit: If I click it, it takes me to iansviv, so I think it may just be a bug with my internet :>

your internet must be blowing up cos its a cornsnake in my siggy banner!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000