Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  17:58:16  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im 15 and ive really wanted a snake for ages and it was my birthday yesterday and i was planning on using my money to bye all the equipment need and the snake. Ive be reading everything for the past week and i know every thing i would need to know but about 3 days ago m mum said she been thinking and because i have a 2 year old sister i cant because of the samonella they carry. can anybody help me with this.

tona
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  18:28:43  Show Profile  Send tona an AOL message  Click to see tona's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i've just got my first corn for christmas and also have a very young sister, but as long as you wash your hands after holding it and keep everything it touches clean you should be alright. My little sister even holds it and knows to was her hands realy well after.
So basically keep everything clean and always wash your hands after handling.
hope this helps... somehow (:
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  18:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive got 10 snakes and my 7 and 3 year old daughters always help me feed and hold the snakes on a daily basis, but they are only allowed to hold the bigger snakes not the hatchies.
Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  18:45:07  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why no the hatchies ??? and thanks ill have to try to convince my mum
Go to Top of Page

Midge
Hatchling

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  18:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you use an antibacterial hand wash there should be no problem. Reptiles and amphibians can carry salmonella but antibacterial hand wash will stop the bacteria spreading.

I think this was only found out when terrapins were popular in the USA & American kids started putting them in their mouths! From that scare mongers came out to advise about the evil reptiles and amphibians! I am sure I read that somewhere but don't quote me!

1.0 CB11 Carolina Corn Snake - Naboo
1.0 CB10 Butter Motley Corn Snake - Rudi
0.1 CB09 Amel het Caramel, Stripe - Zumba
1.0 CB12 Phantom - Bollo
0.1 CB12 Diffused Powder - Rosie
0.1 CB12 Hypo Lavender - Lily
Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  19:02:38  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks great help :)
Go to Top of Page

tona
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  19:27:08  Show Profile  Send tona an AOL message  Click to see tona's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good luck with convincing your mum (:

Edited by - tona on 15/12/2011 19:27:41
Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  19:29:12  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
aha need all the luck i can get :)
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  20:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anti-bacterial hand gel before and after handling and you'll be laughing!

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  20:14:13  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well ive told her all of this but still "its to dangerious" even tho i said we can put it in out shed which has been insluated and would be fitted with heater to get it to the right temprature :/
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  20:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
joseph96- its because the little ones are a little fast lol
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  20:45:41  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I asked my local rep shop and he said the most captive bred snake havent got samonella. because of the conditions theyve been bred in its not really found in corns

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  21:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you cant put a corn in the shed </3

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  21:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know all reptiles carry a *RISK* of salmonella, and I'm usually ok when it comes to hand washing before and after, but sometimes you do forget, and in 12 years of snakekeeping I've never been struck down. It's not like it's prevelant and everywhere, it's such a rarity. But then again, there is that 1 in a million risk, and it's just not good habit to not wash.

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  22:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make your mum a cuppy and a biscuit, set this forum in front of her, ask her nicely to have a read through. She is more than welcome to ask ANY and ALL the questions she can think of.

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  00:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Scottishbluebird! My little sister/cousins/neighbours etc love handling my corn snakes! They're seriously low maintenance too if she's worried about you not looking after it! How many pets are there that only poop once a week too? As for the risk of salmonella, the same goes for your mam washing her hands after she handles raw chicken or something! In saying this, iv had snakes a while and it's not rare for me to have them on my lap/head etc when I'm having a pack of crisps or something! Probably not a good habit but it's been done lol. Of course... There is another thing. My mother said no no no when I first wanted a corn... Then santy brought one! Who knows :p

P.S.... Hi josephs mother! They're really not bad little animals you know:) My mam is quite fond of my couple now!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 16/12/2011 00:28:09
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  09:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too agree with scottishbluebird. Try not to panic trying to convince your Mum, she'll come round in time hopefully If you use anti bacterial hand gel, before and after handling your new snake ,there's no risk of salmonella or any other problem being passed to you or your little Sister My 11 yr old has 2 snakes in her room, and my only rule was she use the hand gel. She had to convince her snake phobic Dad to let her have a snake and that was no easy feat I can tell you. Good luck, I hope your Mum changes her mind

Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  12:46:07  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys not sure its gona work but if I keep showing her she might believe that the ONE website she looked at might have been wrong :)
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Egg

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  13:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Kids are 6 and 4 years old and regularly handle our Snakes and Lizards. Hand washing and alcohol gel are more than capable of killing off any nasties that could cause illness. I can understand your mum being a little cautious, but as long as the hygiene rules (hand washing + gel before and after handling) are in place there really shouldn't be a problem. Good Luck!!

0.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake 'Nagini', 4.8.0 Royal Pythons, 1.0.0 BRB, 1.0.0 Honduran BCI, 1.0.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper' and 1.0.1 Beardies 'Snuggle' & 'Beanie'
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  14:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try asking her if she is aware of all the extremely more dangerous bacteria there are in your home which we seem to forget we have lived with for many years. We dont live in a sterile bubble.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

joseph96
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  14:52:41  Show Profile  Click to see joseph96's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive told her all of this !! We have 2 dogs and my sister regulally hold and touches ginnie pigs at my nans but surlly she is more likly to catch somthing form the 2 dogs that go on walks every night running round muddy fields and goin throught lakes, so wouldn't she be more likely to get ill form where she stokes and plays with them every day than a snake that she would never come into contact with untill shes older ??? :@
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000