Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  19:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, its not a full grown one lol, he has been bitten by it a couple of times and is still confident to handle. he is supervised at all times.

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  20:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion any two year old is not competent enough to handle an undomesticated animal such as a reptile, both for the safety of the animal and the child. I do think its important to expose children to animals but the term 'confident to handle' can't apply to such a young child. The second worrying thing is that the snake has proven that it is not a suitable animal for a 2 year old, a quick strike and tag is all good and well for an adult, makes you jump but even for an adult when a snake clamps on and won't let go its a painful experience and dealing with such a situation requires staying still and calm something which a child would find difficult even without a carpet python clamped onto their face.

I don't know about anyone else but I would be more cautious than to allow a snake to get into a position it could bite a toddler.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  20:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

sounds like natural selection to me mike ;)

yeah, doesnt it just!!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  22:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

yeah, its not a full grown one lol, he has been bitten by it a couple of times and is still confident to handle. he is supervised at all times.

I guessed it wasnt fully grown, the result of that would be disastrous to say the least.
I dont even let other adults handle a snake that i know is bitey, let alone a 2 year old child!!!!
Snakes carry both salmonella and pseudamonas, not a major bother for an adult, but totally different story for a child.

Incidentally, if you child has been bitten, you implied on the face, how would you feel if the snake went for something shiney, like an eye??? Carpets are quite well known for striking hard enough to snap their own teeth off in what they bite, exactly how do you think you would explain your child being blind in one eye from a snake that you not only knew bites, but has previously bitten your child???

Words fail to express how moronically stupid i think this is.

You say he is supervised at all times, are you fast enough to get between your child and the snake when it strikes????

Edited by - mikerichards on 29/11/2011 22:27:49
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  23:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to second what Mike says there I'm afraid. If you play with fire you'll get burnt.
Could you live with yourself if your son ended up with a bad injury due to you continuing to let him have contact with a nippy snake. For his,and your sake I hope you reconsider this.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  09:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
righto guys, lets grip this before it gets out of hand.
the carpet in question is smaller than any of the other snakes i have, even the younger corn. it is also easier to handle as its a climber. when it struck it didnt leave a mark, draw blood or break any teeth. i wasnt talking about a strike yesterday, or even in the last couple of months. it was a one off where the kid learned that the snake wasnt happy, and he doesnt get in its face any more. incidently, at the time the snake was taken away straight away and my lad wasnt allowed to handle for a few days (despite asking). there was no latching on or anything like that or obviously he would not be handling any more at all.
do you really think id allow my child to be exposed to serious danger with a snake that bites all the time? obviously if he was getting nipped all the time i wouldnt let him hold it anymore, but he doesnt because he is more confident (and learned a valuable lesson of not putting your face in a snakes), and the snake is more relaxed.
cheers for your concern, and im sorry if it sounded like i was letting my kid get mauled by an 8 foot killing machine, but it just isnt the case. all i was trying to say is that even after a nip, even a child is still eager to handle.
cheers for the debrief guys, just what i needed.

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  14:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

righto guys, lets grip this before it gets out of hand.
the carpet in question is smaller than any of the other snakes i have, even the younger corn. it is also easier to handle as its a climber. when it struck it didnt leave a mark, draw blood or break any teeth. i wasnt talking about a strike yesterday, or even in the last couple of months. it was a one off where the kid learned that the snake wasnt happy, and he doesnt get in its face any more. incidently, at the time the snake was taken away straight away and my lad wasnt allowed to handle for a few days (despite asking). there was no latching on or anything like that or obviously he would not be handling any more at all.
do you really think id allow my child to be exposed to serious danger with a snake that bites all the time? obviously if he was getting nipped all the time i wouldnt let him hold it anymore, but he doesnt because he is more confident (and learned a valuable lesson of not putting your face in a snakes), and the snake is more relaxed.
cheers for your concern, and im sorry if it sounded like i was letting my kid get mauled by an 8 foot killing machine, but it just isnt the case. all i was trying to say is that even after a nip, even a child is still eager to handle.
cheers for the debrief guys, just what i needed.

Didnt break the skin eh?
I have been bitten more times than i care to remember by out of the egg carpet pythons, baby royal pythons, baby burmese pythons, all days, if not hours old, the one thing they all had in common, every single one of them, is that they broke the skin, every time without fail.

Sorry, but i think you are trying to save face.

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  14:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the original post, How is it going Volvagia? Have you handled him as yet? Believe me he is alot more scarred of you than you of him! Just be calm and don't think about what you are doing. Have your mate there with you and just talk about anything to take your mind off what you are doing. Good Luck.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  16:43:34  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Volvagia, I can almost hear you saying "a lot easier said than done", I was in a similar situation as you are now but with mine there were 2 living in one viv and both at 2.5 - 3 feet long and neither had been handled for months and I wasn't just wary of snakes I was terrified and only rescued them to help someone out, and yes each time I slid the viv door open to check they were alright I got greeted by 4 beady little eyes watching my every move pooing my pants became a very real possibility but I had agreed to take them on and it was my responsibilty to do my best for them. I won't say that I wasn't hissed at, tail rattled at and even struck at numerous times in the first few days but not once did either of them make any attempt to bite and they could have done easily, but in the end I just had to bite the bullet and go for it, I live on my own so no one else was going to do it for me. What helped for my 2 was every time I went into the room for whatever reason I made a point of always opening the vivs and talking to them both and then putting my hands in as well so that they knew my voice and smell. The first few times are going to be hard for you but you'll feel so proud of yourself once you've done it they'll be no stopping you.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.

Edited by - ozziesmum on 30/11/2011 17:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  17:41:31  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Managed to pick him up earlier today. I touched him gently and that triggered him to slither away, so I quickly picked him up and had him handled. I'll try again later tonight; how frequently should I handle him per day per hour to get him used to me?

Also, afew nights back my roomie got him out and we put him in his feeding box. Ate two pinkies right away. He eats like a horse! Well, a snake, but you get the idea... heck of a happy eater.
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  18:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like you're making good progress

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  19:19:25  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perseverence is the key volvy keep it up mate and keep us posted

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  20:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done! just once or twice a day, just for a few mins a time, up by an extra few mins after a week

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2011 :  20:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good effort, one thing though, try not to be too tentative, just pick up, dont touch beforehand, just nice and smooth, one action, in pick up. I am confident that if you do that, he will never bite you, unless you have a raging monster of a snake!

Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  00:30:33  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol bugger, today I handled him about four different times as I think someone here posted that if you did it that many times per day for a week then they settle down really quickly. Anyway, much more confident after today; Volvy by the fourth time was even slivering through my fingers, whereas before he was too cautious to.

Feel sorry for the wee guy though, he'll get more peace tomorrow! Cheers guys, been a massive help - Volvy will send his regards too. :)
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that you are developing a bond there Volvagia. That all you need really. You will get to know your snakes mood and be able to read him without even opening the viv and at the same time he will get use to you.

Well done on the progress. Keep it up

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  09:37:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've had baby corns still in eggies break my skin on my hand and fingers before lol

You just have to keep at it :) Well done.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  16:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bet you had a huge grin lol! Next time someone posts that they are a teeny bit nervous, you can help them! Have you done a handling pic yet? but i do believe you! would just like to see the pic

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  20:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, nice one

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  21:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guys take a chill pill! Obviously the child isn't FORCED to hold the snake! Im not getting images of a little boy locked in a viv lol. What's the harm in him getting a little nip. Puppies and kittens rip the hands off kids when they're playing! No need for dramatics :)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000