Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Daniel_G
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  10:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been too lazy to read all the comments on this post, but from what i've learnt from the guy at the reptile shop near me, you should just go straight in a grab it. If you hesitate, and start moving you hand in a jittery sort of way, then it'll be more likely to strike.

I've held quite a few, and once you grab em' and slow em' down, they aren't likely to strike. Just don't restrict their movement too much.

Regards,
Dan

Still don't own a snake, roll on new year!!!
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  17:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad the advice helped, it certainly worked for us

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  16:26:43  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Think it's safe to say I've got over the nerves. Sometimes I still need to make him move a little before picking him up (doesn't hurt him) but now I usually just go in there, pick him up, and bingo! Thanks a lot guys for the advice and, most of all, your patience!
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you've got over your nerves Vol!! I was same when we got Cornelius, scared of picking him up in case I frightened / hurt him or he tried to bite or strike at me (which he hasn't done).

Over time, just like Cornelius does now, you'll put your hand in his viv & he'll slither straight onto it & away you go!

I always feel privileged when he does that because he obviously has grown to trust us!

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  16:41:39  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, I used to have a rat who was ultra friendly. Volvy is just reaaally nervous and does at times still shy away from being picked up, but he's getting there. I must be blessed with model pets! Eats like a machine, healthy, all you want in a corn snake. :) Still waiting for his first shed but I'm sure it'll come.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000