Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  12:30:33  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvagia

Hey guys,

Yesterday ended up being a hectic day - not making excuses but I'm certainly going to (at least try to!) handle him today. I've read every post here twice over and you've all made me feel a lot better about trying to handle Volvy... even if he is just a small, harmless, corn snake lol. Thanks a lot, I'll let you guys know how it turned out.

Best of luck i debated with myeself for weeks over wether i should buy a hatchling that i knew would be speedy and tricky to handle or a weel started corn or yearling that would be a bit calmer i was petrified of getting it wrong or hurting the snake if i bought a hatchling but the deciding factor for me was that if i had a hatchling id be able to develop a stronger bond with it as id be handling it from a very early age as opposed to buying a yearling that may have been handled very little im happy to say that my confidence has grown with my hatchlings as im sure yours will just stick at it and try if possible to make a lil time each day

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  19:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I have found, especially when handling my boas, is that not looking at what the snake is doing can actually keep you calmer as you can't start panicking over nothing- suss where the snake is, and then go to pick it up whilst looking the other way.

Works a treat for me, though does sound a bit odd!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  20:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about picking it up with a small towel? just an idea

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  21:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK you need to consider the snake for a second here people, lol. Looking away and using towels is just going to scare them or a slight shuffle and you're picking them up with their head.

Corn snakes, even really big ones don't have a particularly nasty bite, paper cuts hurt MUCH more but we all pick it up daily without thinking. They are not known for biting, if they bite its a rare thing so it is simply a mind over matter thing, an initial fear that once overcome won't bother you again.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  22:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didnt mean smothering the poor thing :P i sorta meant to cover your hands, but yeah it was just a (bad) idea, good luck with handling your snake!

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  23:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you handled him at all, as in someone passed him to you? if not get someone who isnt a wimp to pick him up pass him to you, if that feels ok, put him down on floor whatever then pick him back up. Might give you confidence to pick up from viv?

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  10:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

Have you handled him at all, as in someone passed him to you? if not get someone who isnt a wimp

lol, cruel

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  10:17:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

OK you need to consider the snake for a second here people, lol. Looking away and using towels is just going to scare them or a slight shuffle and you're picking them up with their head.

Corn snakes, even really big ones don't have a particularly nasty bite, paper cuts hurt MUCH more but we all pick it up daily without thinking. They are not known for biting, if they bite its a rare thing so it is simply a mind over matter thing, an initial fear that once overcome won't bother you again.

Here here they can bit your finger off :o

I do have to agree with bob, their teeth are just made to get a better grip on prey, I'd be more worried about a corn wrapping around somethings neck as they have a very tight grip round their if you don't support their body weight properly.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  18:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

How is looking away going to scare it?? Rather than staring at it, hesitating and jittering about, all of which can cause a snake to become defensive or nervous, when done sensibly it's a very calm, low key way of picking up a snake. You obviously need to use your brain, but its no worse than picking up a snake normally....

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  18:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's it going Volvagia? When I'm getting Corno out I tend to remove both hides and let her just settle down for a bit 1st... once she starts to wander around and start reaching up to get out the top of the viv it's easy to pick her up! She's not quite 3 months yet though so not scary in the slightest lol!

Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:02:05  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I was wimping out again then my room mate came in and had a try; he just stuck his hand in, picked up Volvy, and he was fine when picked up. Volvy was startled a little and was darting away, trying to run, so his pick-up was from above rather than from the side but at least Volvy calmed down!

I think I'm more confident to try it myself. Volvy didn't even try to bite him, probably because he didn't have time to get into a defensive position.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:21:43  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I was wimping out again then my room mate came in and had a try; he just stuck his hand in, picked up Volvy, and he was fine when picked up. Volvy was startled a little and was darting away, trying to run, so his pick-up was from above rather than from the side but at least Volvy calmed down!

I think I'm more confident to try it myself. Volvy didn't even try to bite him, probably because he didn't have time to get into a defensive position.

I think your giving it too much thought you really just need to just throw yourself in the deep end otherwise you risk having a snake thats going to be awkward to handle or unhandlable.
Just because it assumes the strike position doesnt mean it will strike eve sometimes assumes that position when i remove whatever hide shes hiding under soon as i touch her though she relaxs or moves away shes never struck
Have you handled snakes before you bought your hatchie when i was buying mine the shop let me handle loadsa different snakes to help me decide and i handled a few hatchies and though they were a bit flighty i knew given a bit of time and regular handling theyd soon settle.

Good luck

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to conquer the snake.. you must become the snake..
any Reginald D Hunter fans might appreciate that ;)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:22:59  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

to conquer the snake.. you must become the snake..
any Reginald D Hunter fans might appreciate that ;)

To become fritzl..lol brilliant stuff

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Jarvo
Egg

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  08:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the first year when I got Zack out he would try and do a runner and then double S for the first few seconds and he has never tried to bite anybody not even my 10 year old daugther(supervised).As stated above it,s all about confidence, your room mate just went straight in and Volvy did not bite so he is not a snake that likes to bite.
Have you tried any of the tips like the sock thing so that he will know your scent.
He is a young snake that needs you to be steady with him so that he feels safe and secure, he will be more scared of you than you are of him.
I think that you just need to do it without thinking to much and give Volvy the security that he needs and you will be rewarded with a calm snake.

1.0.0. Albino Boa (Bailey)
1.0.0. Anery corn (Zack)
1.0.0. Black Labrador (Cody)

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  10:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i get a bit nervous if i think about picking all ours up, then they can tell. im sure of it. trick is to just not think about it. seriously, my two year old gets tagged by our carpet python sometimes (keeps trying to kiss its nose, weirdo) and he doesnt even cry... well, not anymore anyway. get in there! no balls no glory and all that lol

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  10:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a hatchie house snake that at the start thought nothing of biting me repeatedly. I expected to get bitten at least 3 times every time I held him,little devil even managed to draw blood on one occassion. To put it into context,I'm female and have small hands and even though he drew blood on one occassion,the only way I knew I'd been bitten was because I saw him do it!
One of my yearling corns also bit me as my son dropped his mouse and I put my hand out to stop my snake leaping out of the tub after it. I hardly felt a thing and there was no mark at all.
Just take a deep breath and you'll be fine.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

bricktop
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  12:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope that seeing your friend pic up Volvy has given you the confidence to try for yourself, I think the advice to pick him up a few times for an hour for a week will help you both get used to each other, abd then you can relax and enjoy your new wee pal!

best of luck and keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  14:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

i get a bit nervous if i think about picking all ours up, then they can tell. im sure of it. trick is to just not think about it. seriously, my two year old gets tagged by our carpet python sometimes (keeps trying to kiss its nose, weirdo) and he doesnt even cry... well, not anymore anyway. get in there! no balls no glory and all that lol

Just so i dont get confused, are you saying that you allow your two year old child to go near a carpet python that bites?? and has been bitten by said python???? and you still allow him into that situation???

Really????

Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  17:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like natural selection to me mike ;)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000