New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  22:33:53  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

After some quick advice when I posted pictures of my corn (Volvagia)I left him for a while to let him settle into his vivarium. It's been two weeks now (perhaps I should leave him longer?) and throughout that time I had to change his hide from a completely hollow fake-rock, because once he went in there I had no chance of getting him out again, to a hide with nothing at the bottom so I can easily just pick it up, and there he is.

Anyway, with some prompting from a work mate who has corn snakes himself, he told me it's time to start picking Volvy up daily to get him used to being handled. He eats perfectly fine and in good condition - so no blame to the pet store I got him from. My problem is that, obviously, I'm such a wimp with the guy - even worse than I thought I'd be.

I have a thick glove I wear on my "picking up hand" and yesterday, after Volvy started moving around, I was able to eventually pick him up although he was very jittery. Today I tried again. I think Volvy has picked up that I'm nervous, as today he was far more defensive and even when my hand wasn't near him he striked at me. Today I also noticed he wasn't in a low position when he struck; he actually raised himself and I was thinking "oh, crap..." I guess he won today; he's slivered into his new hide to congratulate himself.

Anyway, it's not the pain of the bite that scares me. What gets me is the sudden-ness of his movement and today, how he actually raised himself to give himself a higher striking position - I certainly think he's picked up on my nerves.

Are there any tips on relaxing him further, or building confidence, etc? I've tried looking throughout the internet for some advice but still nothing. Perhaps I need to leave him alone a bit longer to settle in? One last thing: he is not a hatchling, but he is still pretty small so must be afew months old; you can maybe guess his age based on his pictures in the pics forum.

Cheers guys.

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  22:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the shop you get him from say he was tame and used to being handled?
Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  22:52:37  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No - I'm due to buy more pinkies soon so I'll certainly ask when I go there. When I bought him the keeper picked him up with ease (I didn't see how he did it) and offered me to handle him, so that, coupled with Volvy's good feeding and his good fitness makes me believe that the shop does all the right things for their reptiles.

I think much of this problem is due to my own p*ssyness, to be honest.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  22:52:44  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need to lose the glove i think. He needs to learn to recognise your scent which is obviously going to be tricky if your wearing a glove lose the glove stick a sock in your pocket for a day or so and then place it in his viv only regular handling is going increase your confidence and the snakes tolerance so just keep at it best of luck to you

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  23:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, the glove will just make things worse, your snake needs to get to know your scent and recognise you're not a predator
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  23:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What worked for us with Sookie who was an absolute cow was to spend an hour each evening taking her out, short play and back again,repeat this five or six times over an hour. We did this for a week and it has made her a different snake, a pleasure to handle. Try it, you have nothing to lose and it might do the trick, it did for us
Make sure you do not hesitate when getting yours out

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  23:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah that is what is known as a you hesitate I bite response. Take a few deep breaths, glove off, straight in and pick up. No messing no jittery indecisive movements. Once they are picked up they are extremely unlikely to bite and the more you do it the more you and the snake get used to it.

for a bit of inspiration this is a video of Sanke, my bitey snake, all about confidence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttSzSB9_9o

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 24/11/2011 23:30:20
Go to Top of Page

Midge
Hatchling

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  23:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd make sure you've washed your hands before you try to pick him up you want to make sure there is no scent of food on your fingers. We looked after a yearling before we got Naboo and we got in the habit of showing you snake your open palm first to show that there is no food. Also when you trying to pick him up don't go from above try to come from the side as their instinctivly think that theft predator would come from above.
Your corn is probably more scared of you than you are of it! Like people have said lose the glove take deep breaths and relax. As soon as you do it a couple of times you'll be a natural.

Good luck!

Edit - autocorrect on my phone turned my sentence into gibberish!

1.0 CB11 Carolina Corn Snake - Naboo
1.0 CB10 Butter Motley Corn Snake - Rudi
0.1 CB09 Amel het Caramel, Stripe - Zumba
1.0 CB12 Phantom - Bollo
0.1 CB12 Diffused Powder - Rosie
0.1 CB12 Hypo Lavender - Lily

Edited by - Midge on 24/11/2011 23:54:30
Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  23:44:45  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses. Today Volvy was awkwardly under his substrate so I had trouble figuring out where exactly his body was until he moved. Due to my success in picking him up yesterday while he was moving I waited until he started doing that again... stupid I guess, since by then he was in full flow and getting into striking positions and so on. Ugh, I knew using a glove would be a bad idea. I certainly wash my hands before and after feeding, and tried the sock trick afew days after I first got Volvy by sticking it into his viv.

It's more a case of stopping myself from being spooked out as soon as he moves. Volvy has the same "what the f*ck?" head-turn reaction when being picked up as Lotabob's snake, but I heard that you had to be slow in picking up snakes? If I can pick him up at the video's kind of pace I may feel a lot better.

Just about building my confidence guys! I'll try again tomorrow.

Edit: also, that's the exact same hide I got Volvy, Lotabob!

Edited by - Volvagia on 24/11/2011 23:47:18
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  02:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you done the sock trick? clean sock in your pocket for the day, the pop in viv, get him used to your scent. Lose the glove , take a deep breath, no hesitation, just do it! even if its just for a min the first time, ignore bad behavior, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  08:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sock trick is definately something that I can say has worked for me. I too was super nervous when it came to handling etc. The honest opinion I can give you is glove off, and just do it. Being bitten by a cornsnake is not as sore or horrific as you first think it will be. Its like the jaggy side of velcro.

good luck xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  09:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As bob has said, it has everything to do with confidence. Lose the glove, believe me, you wont even notice the bite, their teeth arent long enough to penetrate the skin, and it feels more like a bit of velcro! The trick is to move confidently, not quickly. one easy motion in and pick up, firmly but not hard. Just start by putting your hand in flat, palm open and down and put it over his head, touching him, leave your hand there for a couple of seconds, then go to pick him up. Do not hesitate, dont draw away if he looks at you funny, do not be scared, you have nothing to be scared about!!
Honestly, with a baby corn, just let him bite you, get it out of your head that its something to be scared of, at least you know that its not gonna hurt then!!
I have been bitten do many times over the years, anything from baby corns to sub adult boas, and a young adder!!!
ironically, the worst bite out of all of them, including the adder, was from my young albino boa, he had good aim and never hesitated!!!
The trick to all of them, is to not let it put you off, bigger stuff hurts yes, but not for long, and you will stand there wondering what the fuss was all about!!!
Out of all the animals we keep, i would take a bite off a boa over anything else, that includes, the cats, the rabbits, maybe not the mice, but certainly the hamsters aswell!!! A snake bite is all over before you realise its happened, the jumpy bit is the speed!!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  09:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Grow a pair lol. Most the time when they get into that postion and "strike" they won't bite you, they may lunge to scare but they don't always bite. I just pick my moody one up when he gets into that postion now, once I've picked him up he's fine. He's probably thinks your trying to eat him, the only way to realy stop him from getting into the s postion is by handling so he learns your scent doesn't mean your going to eat him or hurt him. What you mean by jittering? Like kind of a hiccuping movement as my friendlist corns do that, I think it's something realtaed to food or sudden change in temp.

My 13 year old corn and every other snake I have turn their head to see what's going on when you pick them up, I'd move slowly and try and scoop them up from the side like bob did, don't kinda pluck the snake from above as that's what a bird would do when trying to get nom noms.

Hatchlings are hatchlinsg even if a few months old kinda lol until they are a yearling :P

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  12:21:59  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try and pick him up after work tonight. Is the pace that Bob picked his snake up fine or should I go slower?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  12:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not so much speed as confidence. Dont go mega slow, just be calm and move at normal speed.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  13:07:24  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvagia

I'm going to try and pick him up after work tonight. Is the pace that Bob picked his snake up fine or should I go slower?

Dont try lol just do to be honest when i got eddie initially i was soooo anxious about handling having never handled small snakes before however lucky for me hes really laid back Eve however as soon as u touch her usually goes nuts racing round her tub or just assumes the about to strike position (though she never actually has struck) i just pick them up its a bit like with dogs you show fear and they will pick up on it as the others have said you wouldnt even really feel a bite from that size snake anyway

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Jarvo
Egg

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  16:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can relate to this as my Boa (bailey) was nippy and hissy when I first got him, I wasn,t scared of him but he did make me nervous if that makes any sense and he would pick up on this and strike out.

This worked for me if he looked like he was going to strike, with one hand I would hold it flat infront of him so if he did try to bite he would not be able to grip on to anything as it would be a flat surface, I would wait until he backed off or moved away and when he did with my other hand I would calmly pick him up and once he was out for about 5 minutes (when he relised that he was not going to get eaten) he was fine.
I still use the same brand of hand soap so that the scent is the same.
I think sometimes you just need to let them know that if they hiss or strike out they will still come out for some exercise.
Within a few weeks Bailey realised that I was not a threat and even though I do not trust him 100% he is more relaxed although sometimes the little bugger will make a dash for his hide.
Stick with it mate you will get it in a short period of time and you will think to yourself what all the fuss was about.
On a positive note I was getting complacent with my corn (Zack) as he has never hissed or struck out but since I have Bailey this has reminded me that they are wild animals that just tolerate handling and give them the respect they deserve.
Good luck and it does get easier the more you handle.
You can try a combination of methods or just one it depends what works for you and your snake.
I hope this helps a little.

1.0.0. Albino Boa (Bailey)
1.0.0. Anery corn (Zack)
1.0.0. Black Labrador (Cody)

Edited by - Jarvo on 25/11/2011 17:26:24
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  19:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the almost opposite problem in that i suffer with arthritis in my hands and am more scared of hurting him. We seem to have come to an understanding and he comes out to me i know this may sound silly but its true.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

bricktop
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  22:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you get more confident and with these tips and advice I'm sure you will. I hope to get a corn snake very soon, and hope to get a friendly one too, otherwise I'm sure I will be nervous like yourself,
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  23:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you done it yet? need a pic as proof...

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Volvagia
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  09:31:44  Show Profile  Click to see Volvagia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

Yesterday ended up being a hectic day - not making excuses but I'm certainly going to (at least try to!) handle him today. I've read every post here twice over and you've all made me feel a lot better about trying to handle Volvy... even if he is just a small, harmless, corn snake lol. Thanks a lot, I'll let you guys know how it turned out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000