Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  21:04:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Am trying to find an adjustable shelving unit for my snake rubs, needs to be big enough for the big rubs you get. For those like me who don't have space for vivs, do you use shelving for your rubs and if you do where did you get it? Or did you make it from something else?
I'm no carpenter so wouldn't know where to start making one from scratch. Any websites, ideas etc etc would be good.
Thanks.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  21:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used an Ikea Wardrobe. It's really deep so fits the large 64L rubs.

Depends what size you are talking about though?
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  21:11:02  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's for a corner in my livingroom and looking for shelves big enough for the 64L rubs. Seen plastic ones which while cheap they would serve the purpose, just not quite big enough depth wise of the shelves. Don't know if plastic shelves would be ok for livingroom lol.

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 09/05/2011 21:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  21:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends then on what way you can fit the rubs I guess. Just measure what space you have and look at places like argos, ikea etc. I think alot of 64L rub racks are made from wardrobes rather than shelving units as they are deeper. Unless of course you make your own.

My 9L rubs fit on a cheap argos shelf unit but the bigger the rub the deeper the unit needed.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  21:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ikea have a few good shelving units that would do fine for rub storage

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  21:23:02  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did look at Ikea but never seen anything that was the right size, but will look again. Would a plastic shelf unit look ok in livingroom? It's only to store snake rubs neatly.

Edited by - Ailsa on 09/05/2011 21:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  23:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any shelf unit would do, just get it nicely anchored and solid as a rock and it should be ok.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  08:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another idea if you are thinking of just a few rubs, is a small tv unit. They normaly have a couple of shelves plus room ontop :D
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  10:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my shelving from b&q... it was flat packed ones so that you can fit the shelves in at any height you want

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:12:43  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what's your shelving like mamma, think i just seen metal shelving units in b&q

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine are wooden, 3 large shelves to each and 4 wooden posts. about 6 foot high

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:22:53  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh i never seen wooden ones, you got any picks of them? argos have plastic shelving units with lots of good reviews but they are just a few cm short depth wise of shelves

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i will try and take a pic of them once nelly is at nursery and hamish for his nap. You can only see the top 2 shelves tho cos our 2 seater sofa is infront of it (for now... livingrooms gettin moved around once I have got the 4stack later in the year)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:29:21  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok cool mamma

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  12:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote

GAH! Excuse the big black line on the photo below... I must have done it by accident when rotating the pic on gimp. I cant be bothered fixing it now though. But anyhoo you get the idea of the shelving.

Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  12:18:23  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is one of our (and the first we built!) 33L RUB x 10 racks: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12419

We used MDF for the shelving (which can be picked up at B&Q, but we ordered a crapload of it from a timber supply company as we used some to build Darwin's old viv (little fatty's too big for it now!)

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  12:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is our royal rack. 2 lots of bookcases from argues attached together. It will at the moment hold 6 x 21 litre RUBS & 3 x 5 / 9 litre. Shelves are completely adjustable too so will hold 3x 50 litre rubs (4 if one on the top too ) 50 liters are same width and length at 64 just not as tall

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  12:34:58  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pictures, can't seem to find bookcases with deep enough shelves yet

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  12:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are ones we use. 1 infront of the other

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6109565/Trail/searchtext%3EDEEP+BOOKCASE.htm

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  13:12:00  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1 in front of the other? Is it easy to do something like that, bearing in mind I am rubbish at DIY? I have just found this one on argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8757685/Trail/searchtext%3ESHELVING+UNITS.htm, am only planning 3 or poss 4 snakes

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  14:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that looks fine too . When I say one on front of the other. Very simple make them both up. Dont put the back on one of them. Line them up 1 in front of the other. Hold them together with straight metal brackets. Simples

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000