Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  19:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

10 year old corn, has always had this basic set-up, though the tank size has increased as she has grown.

1 Log to hide behind or play on in warm end, heat mat underneath glass tank, on thermostatic control set to around 32 degrees. (She moves around the tank frequently, so I'm assuming she's comfortable)

I large water bowl in cold end.

She enjoys regular handling, had a period of difficult shed / feeding after moving to a clean , new Vivarium, which she's always hated doing, and seems in rude health, though viewing a few of the forums I recognise she is definately on the chunky side, so I will attempt careful dieting.

This is the first and only reptile I've ever owned, and guess I'm getting the very basics right over the last 8 years, but viwing some of the set up threads, clearly I seem to be missing hides, foliage and climbing frames.

I'm not short of cash to make any constructive improvements you guys can suggest to improve the environment.

So please suggest away, because it definately seems she's missing out on creature comforts!!!

Many thanks

Tim

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are hot end and cold end temps - digi thermometers best
Hide at both ends
I have a nice big Java Reptile Branch for my 10 yr old corns to climb on and silk foliage and artificial plants so they have lots of things to explore and play about in

I'd take a trip to a decent reptlie shop and just have a gander at what they have, I have bought a load of stuff from http://www.reptilecentre.com/ to pimp out My girls viv http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14463
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And welcome to the forum Tim
Glyn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats one of the threads I viewed before posting this up. My poor girl seems to be livning @ Pontins instead of Euro Disney.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  20:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basics are fine, but think yr a bit like me. Money isn't an issue and yr 'baby' deserves the best
I'd say have a look online at various reptile shop sites and just see the kinds of things you want to buy yr lady.
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  21:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pity bout the rest of us. Stone cold broke! :P

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  21:23:21  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the Exo terra vines as they look really realistic in a viv but can be bent and twisted into any shape you want. You can even twist several together to make it look more natural and when you want a change it's easy to bend them into a different shape. Many people wrap artificial ivy around them to make them look even better.

Snakes seem to love climbing on them and they are quite rough so are good for your snake to rub against when shedding.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Bendable-Waterproof-Jungle-Vine-Small-Large-/250755718849?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&var=&hash=item800fd6bfa5#ht_916wt_689

There are also lots of different artificial plants that you can get which look fantastic in a viv but are really inexpensive. They create great hiding places and can be attached to the walls of the viv for your snake to climb.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  21:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine hated the Exo Terra Vines, they seem to prefer something a bit more solid. The next stuff i will probably get is some Java Branches to fasten from the roof of the Viv, tho need to make sure its attached securely
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  21:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And as for artificial plants - go for silk ones - the plastic ones don't feel or look very nice in my view
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  23:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we'll scratch the advice here to include the urgent supply of a replacement viv as well. The cat has managed to crack the base of the current plate glass until by jumping on it this evening.

Carefully deployed sheets of newspaper will stop the snake injuring herself over the evening, but a replacement needs installing tomorrow!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  23:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big cat?!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  08:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooops, hope you've shoved the cat in the cupboard under the stairs and not the wheely bin as that seems to get you into trouble
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  21:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cracked tank;

New wooden Viv;

Happy snake? Hopefuly;

Installed a heater lamp as well, but sadly the thermostatic control for it fell over 5 mins after turning on, I'll take it back 2morrow.

Thanks for the tips
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like someones gonna be having a viv warming party soon [:)}
Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heat lamps are not needed as corns heat up through their bellies.

In my 4 ft vivs i have...

aspen substrate(because corns like to burrow)
2 hides.....(1 at each end)
largs water bowl in the cool end.
a few large rocks
a large log/branch to climb on
a few silk foliages

warm end temp is 88 degrees, cool end around 75

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-2 amel corn (mona,marshall)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)
0-1 mongrel bitch...(milly)

oh...and dreaming of a pair of blizzards
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  23:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of Exo Terra medium hides that are way too small for my girls that are going spare :)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  23:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baitman

In my 4 ft vivs i have...

aspen substrate(because corns like to burrow)
2 hides.....(1 at each end)
largs water bowl in the cool end.
a few large rocks
a large log/branch to climb on
a few silk foliages

warm end temp is 88 degrees, cool end around 75

88 is a tad warm would aim for about 84-85,

Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  00:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks mate,have now turned stats down to 85( i think)a tad under 88 anyway...lol

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-2 amel corn (mona,marshall)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)
0-1 mongrel bitch...(milly)

oh...and dreaming of a pair of blizzards
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  09:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can we have temps in english LOL, i'm an imperial boy
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  10:15:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baitman

Heatlamps can warm their bellies... it's acts like the sun, heating the objects on the ground, just like the sun would so. A mat also does the same thing, the mat just needs contact and doesn't hover about in the air. You just don't need 2 heat sourced on at the same time for corns as it's kinda pointless.

The wooden viv looks so much nicer than the glass one :P matches the cabinate now lol! What size is the viv it looks very swish.

Subz, it should be 27-30 for us that aren't old XD aiming for 28-29 is generally good but it depends on the stat you have, and they just have to deal with the cool end temps lol :P

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  10:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was being ironic lol, though i do hate having to use metric measurements. I've got mine set at 29oC hot end and cold end fluctuated between 21.5-22.3oC - WooHoo for digi thermometers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000