New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salazare Slytherin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hia guys I have currently just done the same thing for royal pythons.

I am researching the advantages and disadvantages of some substrates..
Please tell me what substrate you use and why?
For my corn snakes I use zoomed reptile bark, It looks nice and naturalistic

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use beech chip with my corn snake because the local reptile shop sells it quite cheap (I get a bag that does for three full clean outs at about 3 inches thick for £7). I use orchid bark for the royal though, its just how the setup came and hasn't needed cleaning out yet but works well with the Infra red light I use.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Salazare Slytherin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks :-) I have never used lights with any of my snakes I bet it gives a good effect though?
I may invest yet lol
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use laminate for my snakes. It's efficient to clean and is quite easy on the eye.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use aubiose (horse bedding), I find it is less dusty and does exactly the same thing as Aspen at a fraction of the price something like a tenner for 20kg bale, lasts a fair few months with my little lot.

Go to Top of Page

Salazare Slytherin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  22:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats a good one I would think they would live in similar things within barns and stuff in America
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  10:26:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aubiose, costs me like £8 something for a 20kg bale, it's not dusty and they like to dig in it. Never used snake labelled aspen but I think it's just exactly the same stuff [packaged for horses that's all.

I've also used Megazorb which I love but it involves a bit more of a drive for me. It's like £7 for 17.5kg, it's amazing at sucking up poos, that's why I love it. The only downside is the strange objects I find in the bag and the fact it is dusty, so dusty that it makes one of my snakes sneeze! Just finished a bag, last 8 months for 2 adult vivs and 2 babies.

I think the substrtae sticky topic needs an update with Aubiose :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Salazare Slytherin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  13:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fair doos looking at some pics I think it is probibly the same stuff if not well it is very similar.
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  13:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to use wood shavings but after finding out about aubiose, have been using that for the last 6 months. Cost is not the issue as shavings are also cheap, but it's great for spot cleaning and I don't miss the dust removal process I used to have to do in the garden for the wood shavings.
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  15:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone know of anywhere near Bolton that you can buy aubiose from, must be a cheaper option than £7 for a 10l bag of aspen.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  16:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In one of my vivs have bark, as nice as it looks, hard for spot cleaning though. The other has aspen which is fab! On the full clean of other viv will been changing that to aspen too. But after reading on here think will be changing to auboise when aspen is gone

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  16:33:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scubadude

anyone know of anywhere near Bolton that you can buy aubiose from, must be a cheaper option than £7 for a 10l bag of aspen.

Try looking in your yellow pages for equine shops, drop Aubiose an e-mail for who near you that they stock if you drop them your post code or it you have a pet's corner there some stores sell horsey products and they may have some in the back.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  18:14:15  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

not in bolton, but the place I get mine from isn't a million miles away,
A K Animal Feed
Unit 2
Coal Pit Lane
Atherton
Manchester
M46 0RY
01942 878283

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

MeandMilo
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  18:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use Aspen for my snake, because i wanted to get my snake the good stuff (no offence to any other substrates the are all good ,this is just what i use for Milo the only problem with aspen is that it is quite expencive )

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  18:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

not in bolton, but the place I get mine from isn't a million miles away,
A K Animal Feed
Unit 2
Coal Pit Lane
Atherton
Manchester
M46 0RY
01942 878283

Cheers eeji, that will do nicely, other stockist I found was in chorley or blackburn, so much closer.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  19:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use aspen at the moment as I had some with the starter kit I received and the snakes seem to enjoy making tunnels in it.
Planning on moving onto auboise next though if theres a supplier close enough as it seems similar but a lot cheaper from what I've read.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  20:08:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeandMilo

i use Aspen for my snake, because i wanted to get my snake the good stuff (no offence to any other substrates the are all good ,this is just what i use for Milo the only problem with aspen is that it is quite expencive )

That's why people use Aubiose, same as aspen, just cheaper :p

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  15:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shredded paper. cheep as chips if you get as much junk mail as i do!

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page