45 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  12:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thistle

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

So how do you tell in an amel then because she has completly red eyes??

They still go cloudy but it is more difficult to spot the early signs. You'll get to know your snake and be able to tell the subtle differences in behaviour and appearance in no time at all.

Yes, I think my amel is going into shed for the first time with me. Though I haven't noticed much of a change in colour, on Friday he seemed more reluctant than normal to come out and was much more sensitive to touch. Since then he has barely moved and has shown no sign of wanting to be fed, which is really unusual for him. I didn't even bother trying to feed him at the weekend and have just left him to it.

Even though I've read through loads of pages on shedding on this forum, being a snake keeping virgin, I do find it a bit disconcerting that he's not moving for such a long period of time (normally not moving is a bad sign with my other pets, lol). I have to stop myself from checking that he's still alive several times a day. But I'm sure once I get this first shed over and done with I'll relax a bit more.

I got Barnaby because I wanted a pet that needed very little looking after and that I didn't need to worry about constantly. How wrong was I? Lol!

I couldnt agree with you more thistle its realy worrying to see for the first time them go pale and they dont move at all im the same with mitch i have to check him several times a day just to be sure and put my mind at rest and this is after them not wanting to feed for the first time which makes alarm bells ring from the off im a snake keeping virgin and even though mitch is around 1 i only got him about 4 months ago and this is the first shed i have seen. Just a quick update on mitch he is getting his colour back but still has realy cloudy eyes its been roughly just over a week since the whole process started so hopefully wont be long now ill put up some pics when he is done just to show the diference and thanks again to everyone for all their posts, help and advice

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  15:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with my amel its all about behaviour when shes in blue. because shes mostly yellow and as prevously mentioned they have red/orange eyes its hard to tell by looking at her. she just hides more and get more 'jumpy' when i handle her. never stops eating when shes in blue either which makes it even harder to tell!

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

mina0103
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  18:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chalkie31

MITCH TAKEN 10 MINS AGO

deffinatly in shed u can see his blue eyes. Aswell as the total colour change in mitch.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h377/mina0103/SDC10591-1.jpg[/IMG]

0.1.0 dog staffy/lab cross; mina
1.0.0 corn anery; nekko

Debbie
x
Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  13:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary lou my youngest corn snake also had trouble feeding after she shed, i put a mous in for her and she wouldnt touch it and i wondered why as it took her just over a week to shed and must be hungry by now.

It turned out the mouse that i had defrosted had a bit of blood on it and she spotted it and knew it was dead even tho i ha ru the mouse under hot water to warm it up like i normaly do.
Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  00:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These were some pics that i took of Mitch during the week after he shed the diference in colour is amazing

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  09:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow what a difference,beautiful. Brill photos too. Thats one relieved owner and one relieved snake then.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  16:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Wow what a difference,beautiful. Brill photos too. Thats one relieved owner and one relieved snake then.

Yeh totally Mitch is back to his usual active and happy self always wanting to be out sniffing about and me happy chappy to win on all parts

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  16:29:23  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is absolutely gorgeous. An they are fabulous pics to show him off

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  05:51:22  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He looks fantastic. It's amazing the difference before and after shedding, they look like completely different snakes.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000