Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all i tried to feed Mitch last monday on his normal feed day but he wouldnt eat at first i thought it was due to the size of his feed so tried him on smaller the next day which didnt work either i alst noticed that he was losing colour aswell i posted about this and seem to come to the conclusion that Mitch was starting to shed so i left him to it and kept an eye on him through the week and he hasnt changed at all he hasnt been active at all either i havnt seen him move spot at all and im starting to get realy worried... if he was shedding how long does the whole process take not just the getting out the skin part? Ive only had Mitch for about 4 months and he has never shed before so i dont know what the signs are

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im panicing and realy worried thanks alot

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defo sounds like he is shedding. When Medusa went into shed she refused food and became really 'lazy' and lethargic I think it's partly because their eyesight goes a bit and they can't see. He may be coming out at night when no ones about because he might feel a bit 'safer' and more secure. I'm sure he's shedding so it's probably nothing to worry about. x

Medusa the Carolina Corn and Bert the Bearded Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks saam ive just had a look at 10 diferent shedding posts on here and it says that it can be anything upto 2 weeks for the whole process so i think i just need to be patient and he should be fine hes had that dull colouring for about 5 days now and hasnt been his normal self just wants to sit under a bit of cork all day ive never see him shed before so couldnt help but worrie

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:21:42  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i bet mitch moves when your asleep hun
i know mine do, and my king is a right miserable bugger when shes in shed, my corn is soft as putty, but when shes in shed i can hardly notice as shes a snow

mitch will leave ya a nice gift one day xxxx

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chalkie31

Thanks saam ive just had a look at 10 diferent shedding posts on here and it says that it can be anything upto 2 weeks for the whole process so i think i just need to be patient and he should be fine hes had that dull colouring for about 5 days now and hasnt been his normal self just wants to sit under a bit of cork all day ive never see him shed before so couldnt help but worrie

you're welcome :) when Medusa had her first shed with me I panicked a bit because she refused to eat and the people who I got her from said she ate when she was last in shed. She got all hissy and seemed to get a bit upset so I just left her to it and before I knew it she'd shed! Good luck

Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh it seems to be the case that u can get very attatched to these critters very quickly lol and he has never had a problem feeding and usualy i dont ever seem him hiding he is always at the glass up n down up n down thats why when he first stopped feeding i couldnt help but worrie i think it is almost definately mid shed but im gonna put up a pic in a sec which i have just taken if u could have a look would be appreciated xx

Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

MITCH TAKEN 10 MINS AGO

Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

MITCH TAKEN 2 WEEKS AGO ROUGHLY

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
woo shiny snake soon

Go to Top of Page

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep he is in shed :)

Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Panic over thanks for all ur help guys its realy been stressing me out THANK YOU MUCHLY xx

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  18:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just remember that his eyes will go from blue/cloudy to clear....and then he'll shed a few days or so later! This confused me with Blaze's first shed, but its totally normal

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  19:24:39  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's in shed for sure. You can see his cloudy eyes and his dull, matt looking colour. Next he will go back to normal then in a few days or so he'll shed. You will then be the very proud owner of a fresh, shiney snake!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  19:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how do you tell in an amel then because she has completly red eyes??

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  20:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a pretty snake you will have soon! You'll notice him going back to his ordinary colour before he sheds.. Then if you spy on him for the following few days you might be lucky enough to catch him I'm the act! - Which is very very cool to watch.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  21:01:07  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
oh he deff in blue lol
cant wait to see him all shiny

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  00:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow what a difference!! You'll have to get some pics up when he's shed.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  00:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

They still go cloudy but it is more difficult to spot the early signs. You'll get to know your snake and be able to tell the subtle differences in behaviour and appearance in no time at all.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

chalkie31
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mitch still looking cloudy and blue today so just keeping an eye on him. Went out and spent a load of money on him today but dont wana disturb him by changing his viv round so as soon as he is done he will have some nice new ornaments pots and trees to climb round some fresh substrate to hehe :D ill take some more pics as soon as he has shed i cant wait to see it myself as it will be the first time C'MON MITCH!!

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:52:45  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow that is a great 'in blue' picture.

I can usually tell by the belly checkers on mine if they are in blue. Carmellia and Peanut are the hardest ones to tell as they don't have belly checkers, but they tend to be more of a grubby colour and their belly is creamy rather than white.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  04:47:13  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

They still go cloudy but it is more difficult to spot the early signs. You'll get to know your snake and be able to tell the subtle differences in behaviour and appearance in no time at all.

Yes, I think my amel is going into shed for the first time with me. Though I haven't noticed much of a change in colour, on Friday he seemed more reluctant than normal to come out and was much more sensitive to touch. Since then he has barely moved and has shown no sign of wanting to be fed, which is really unusual for him. I didn't even bother trying to feed him at the weekend and have just left him to it.

Even though I've read through loads of pages on shedding on this forum, being a snake keeping virgin, I do find it a bit disconcerting that he's not moving for such a long period of time (normally not moving is a bad sign with my other pets, lol). I have to stop myself from checking that he's still alive several times a day. But I'm sure once I get this first shed over and done with I'll relax a bit more.

I got Barnaby because I wanted a pet that needed very little looking after and that I didn't need to worry about constantly. How wrong was I? Lol!

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000