New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  15:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all
last day severus fed was 27th dec, refused food 4 days later, then shed, whole and easily
since then hes refused all food
was on one large ratpup [about a 6week old size] and one chick every three -4 days
have had him vetted, by reptile vet, no parasites, no mouth fungus, still happy to come out and interact, still roaming viv has lost no weight
just wont eat
have offerred him smaller, warmed, brained, all three
chicks
mice
has huge water bowl always filled that is big enough for him to soak in as well as drink from, , viv 4x2x2 wooden with glass to front, heat mat at one end, temp gradient is 72-85 is on aspen plenty of hides and branches/vines to wrap through but hed rather be out and with one of us anyway most of the time

not a case of just not striking, he activly avoids the food, before hed strike as soon as, now he backs off and hides, even if food is left in viv he wont touch it

how much longer before i have to get vet to force feed?

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  16:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 2 girls at 5ft each don't eat as often as yrs did prior to stopping. That seems a HUGE amount every 3-4 days.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  16:17:16  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Probably the breeding season taking hold especially as he's not loosing weight!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  16:18:22  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt stress too much matty
there is another thread on here about feeding, im sure he will be fine, just time of year

for that size of feed, id say move it to 10/14 days hun, and yeah that is a lotta food to have every 3/4 days

weigh him on a weekly basis, as soon as you see his weight drop lots, get some medi vit drops to add to his water before going down the forcefeeding line

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  16:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we moved him from 10 day feeds to weekly feeds about around may 2010 and then to 3-4 days, about a month before he stopped eating, both changes were for the same reason.............
he seemed ravenous, very edgy, changed from being an at the front waiting to come out to bitey and striking the glass as soon as he saw the food and took ratling and chick one after other
having him on a 3-4 day cycle of same amount of food he seemed to be more calm and settled, back to his normal laid back self, exploring viv, soaking in his trough, shedding whole and wanting to interact

i might add this snake has only been with us just over a year, he was a rescue after the owner became fed up, weve also just taken in a 2ft corn from the same owner, seem she didnt learn her lesson, who is allegedly bitey [dont think so, hes wrapped around my arm as i type] and as thin as my pinky finger, looks like a very long bootlace

is it possible he just 'stocked up' for the breeding season and when hes got through the amount and season hell start to feed again? Ive got loads of food in the freezer from pinky mice [dragon treats] to ratlings [not sure what you call them really, but theyre bigger than the large mice]so could possibly try tempting him with much smaller
Go to Top of Page

Aldess Snow
Snake Mite

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  03:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Probably the breeding season taking hold especially as he's not loosing weight!

my 5ft male has stopped eating as well. stupid question but Im on the westcoast of canada, our climate is similar so would mine be the same reason? haha really hope so!

1 5ft Snow corn= Aldess
1 2ft tangerine milk= Dr Shockaloo
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  19:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some snakes do tend to fast during the winter months as they'd naturally hibernate, the reason he's acting edgy etc, is because he's probably stressed at being offered food so regularly!

What i can recommend doing is leaving him be for 2 days or so, then handle him infrequently for about a week, probably 5 minutes every other day, then try a feed.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  20:48:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's either not hungry after scoffing so much, and/or got other things on his mind (breeding season!)

As he's been fed up so much I really wouldn't worry, he will be able to go months without eating now.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000