Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  20:45:58  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi everyone, i fed my milk snake on saturday night and i only handled him yesterday for about half an hour (most of which, he was in my shirt pocket curled up), and ive just changed his water over and found what i believe to be a half digested pinky, its the first time hes done this and ive handled him within 24hrs after feeding b4, please advise as im alittle worried.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are all your temps correct?

Do you feed him in or out the viv? Could it be a half eaten pinky or is it defo a regurge?

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:14:45  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i feed him inside the viv and im unsure, it looked like poo but in the shape of a pinky
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is a definate regurged half digested pinkie then its likely to be 1 of three problems (before worrying about health)

1) Handled him too soon.
2) Not enough places to hide.
3) Your temperatures aren't right.

I had a regurge a few months back and I narrowed it down to handling too soon because he needed a bit longer to digest due to the temperatures not been hot enough in the hide he was in. I sorted out the temperatures, his digestion speeded up so he didn't need leaving longer and problem solved.

You may find this very useful too http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792

(size is the biggest clue, if it was pinkie sized its likely a regurge, if it is only really small its most likely a poo)

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 28/01/2011 21:20:17
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen a regurge so I'm not much help.

What is your warm end temp?

If it is a regurge I think the advice is to leave the snake 10 days before offering another meal.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me the regurge looked like a chewed up fudge with two feet sticking out the back and a tail. A biege coloured blob and it smelled worse than anything I have ever smelled in my life.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:24:20  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the temp fluctuates between 20 and 30 degrees (between the first notch and 30 on a thermometer) and as its still a small snake, its currently in a faunarium, so it only has 1 hide and it seem to enjoy burrowing in the aspen, what ever it was - regurge or not - it was stuck to some silky plastic leaves if that helps.

thas the thing, it had no legs, it did look like it had a tail but it didnt smell at all.

Edited by - ilovemypets1988 on 28/01/2011 21:25:39
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:24:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What are your temps in the warm end?

You should also leave for atleast 48 hours after a feed before handling. If it is a regurgitated meal, which to be honest if it was you would know it, then you should also now not feed for 14 days(i think). This allows the snakes stomach acids to rebuild otherwise you could cause him to regurge his meal again.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a digital thermometer?

The dial ones are rubbish and not acurate enough.

Do you have a thermostat on the heat mat.

Also you could do with more hides. Corns like to hide away after a meal and need a choice of hides one at each end at least.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its very unlikely to be a regurge if it didn't smell. Regurge smells vile, truely putrid. Do you still have it, get the camera out and post a picture.

Also sounds like you have a dial thermometer, unfortunately they are absolutley useless for establishing a good heat gradient for the snake. Its also advisable to provide at least 2 hides, one in the hot end, one in the cold end, it allows them somewhere to hide while they regulate their temperature.

One more thing, do you use a thermostat?

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:31:51  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive just had to order a new heat mat, as my one stopped working and the local petshops dont supply them, its an analogue thermo and even though the heat mats gone, ive put the viv into an mdf box (a unfinished doll house) for insulation, which is situated in 1 of the warmer parts of the room and i check the temp, 3 - 4 times a day to ensure that its ok
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There may be your problem!

You have a corn in a faunarium with no heat mat!

A dial thermometer will be usles to check temps no matter how many times a day you check. You need a digtal thermometer, heat mat and thermostat asap.

Edited by - Invalid User on 28/01/2011 21:37:09
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:36:12  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yh true, but do try to keep the temp as best as i can in there by using rag around the base aswel
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until you have your heat source sorted its best to not feed, you wont be able to maintain a good digestion temperature (25-28 degrees). I have a vivarium in a warm apartment and left unheated it drops to about 17 degrees within a few hours.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:41:00  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh ok, didnt know that, but hopefully the heat mat should be here 2moz, so it aint long, but 1 question, and this may soud stupid but, should i put the new one where the old 1 was, or change ends.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it familiar (the same).

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doesn't matter what end.

Do you have a thermostat for it? If not be careful and get one sorted and a digital thermometer. They are very cheap on ebay :)
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:46:29  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the thermostate will be bought next week as it was bill week this week and i was only just able to get the mat tbh
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  21:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If thats the soonest you can get one then just be very careful, heat mats very often can hit 40 degrees, too hot for a Milk Snake. If you can get a digital thermometer so you can read the temperatures more accurately. You'll have to be the thermostat and monitor relentlessly until it arrives. They are the most important bit of kit for keeping snakes (though most shops for some reason dont sell you them when you get a snake).

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  22:05:20  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i will be keeping my eye on the temp as best as i can, and also the snake wont be in the faun for long aswel, as ive found an mdf supplier that r gunna cut and supply the mdf to build a viv, but i agree, the one bit of kit that u cant go without and the shops dont supply them, i bought 1 off ebay thats a specailist in reptile supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  22:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah be very careful, my heat mat is under a faun and it gets very hot without a stat. 35c+ in a matter of mins. If your snake has been cool for a while it's probably going to head to the warm end once the heat mats on so keep a close eye on it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000