Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  22:11:03  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok will do, thanks all for your advice, its been very helpful
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  01:50:44  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was just taking alook at the snake and it looks like the snakes going blue as the colours has gone dull (looks like old matt paint) but the eyes havnt "shaded" over yet and i didnt spot that sooner, just thought to let u all know.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  02:39:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I often find that the body goes milky, (usually particularly noticable on the belly depending on moprh), before the eyes. The eyes will soon go a milky colour and then he'll clear up and will then shed a few days after.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  11:21:17  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just to let you guys know, the heat mat came this morning
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  11:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good, just keep a close eye now onhow hot it's getting!

Have you got a digital thermometer yet? How soon can you get a stat?
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  12:50:43  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no i dont have a digi thermo yet and the soonest that i can get a stat is next week tbh as thats when i get paid next.
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  13:40:07  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
also, i have a piece of kitchen towel between the heat mat and the snake, the kitchen towel wont protect that much, but it will stop the possibility of the snake burning itself and hopefully subdue the potental over heating alittle as the mat is underneath and not in the faun
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  13:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
un statted heat mats have been known to melt the bottoms of fauns!

Also if your snake is anything like mine it will like to go under the kitchen roll.

Edited by - Invalid User on 29/01/2011 13:46:17
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  13:46:57  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh, rite ok, i will keep my eye on it, i cant not look at the faun and the snake, its right next to the comp now, as the heat mats here.

also, yh the snake does like to go under the towel but ive found a niggling way to make it more awkward for the snake to go underneath it

Edited by - ilovemypets1988 on 29/01/2011 13:51:54
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be interested how you are going to be able to keep an eye on the temps as you sleep or when you are not at home.

The paper towel will do nothing to stop the heat getting through, and as the others have mentioned the unstatted mat may well melt its way through the base of your faun. So you have 2 choices here, 1. Leave as is and take the risk of melting the base of the faun and that will also not be very good for the snake, or 2 turn the heat mat off until you get the stat, for this you will need to make sure your room temps are not cold as the snake will only be getting ambient air temperature for warmth.

Milk snakes are hardy and can take temps a bit cooler but not for prolonged periods.

also out of curiosity how have you sortd the towel to stop the snake getting under it.

jedi edit - the temps you are looking for are from about 27-33 for hot end temps for your milk, not as mentioned previously as a bit lower

Edited by - gmac on 29/01/2011 19:26:12
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:42:00  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i intend on turning the mat off before i go to bed as the room temps never below 23o anyway and as for the towel trick, fold the ends rite at the edge of the faun base and crease the folds and where the hide is, have the towel a quarter of the way up the faun and then put the usual things on top - e.g. the substrate (i use aspen), water bowl and so on
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the room temp is never below 23c then I strongly recommend you turn the heat mat off altogether until you get a stat and don't feed during this time. Having an unstatted, unmonitored heatmat is very dangerous.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000