Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:53:05  Show Profile
they lay there all still.....as for illness i have had them all checked over and are all fighting fit..... and they have never had any problems with each other even when first introduced

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:54:47  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob
in this case 3 snakes that are together and have always been together will be fine,
until you wake up one morning to find 1 missing and 1 of the others with a big belly

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:58:00  Show Profile
Cannabalism is such a small risk as hatchlings its barely even worth the effort of a counter point. I have seen 1 photo of a snake that suposedly ate another snake, there is no evidence as to why this happened, was the other snake sick, already dead ??? Its all scare mongering, look at all the people who keep snakes together. Has anyone on here actually had one of their snakes eat another snake?

Illness can and does happen and spread if they are kept seperately. Its a fair point its difficult to pin point problems to a specific snake immediately but there is nothing stopping you separating them should something like that occur.

Its clearly a controversial subject but the fact of the matter is its down to personal preference, a corn snake on its own is fine, corn snakes together are fine.

Oh and for info. I don't co habit snakes, mainly because I'm happy with just 1 for now, I'm not planning on getting another just yet and when I do I probably won't cohabit because I wouldn't want to introduce another snake to Spot as he will be used to been alone but I haven't ruled it out either.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:02:46  Show Profile
i wouldn't not co-habbit IF the was a big gap between age and actually getting a new snake but seeing as they are all roughly the same age....... and all introduced close to the same time ....aswell as re-arranging the viv to always give them new enrichment i have not had any problems to report

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:04:31  Show Profile
I think what you have set up is absolutely fine.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:08:13  Show Profile
thankyou ....the trio seem to approve got a few more plants but they will go in on the next clean out to add new teritory

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:10:36  Show Profile
quote:

Cannabalism is such a small risk as hatchlings its barely even worth the effort of a counter point. I have seen 1 photo of a snake that suposedly ate another snake, there is no evidence as to why this happened, was the other snake sick, already dead ??? Its all scare mongering, look at all the people who keep snakes together. Has anyone on here actually had one of their snakes eat another snake?

You have only seen one photo, there's at least 2 on this site alone, was the only ones I could get permission to post there are a lot more.

You will probably find it is not as rare as you think, as there will be a hell of a lot more but people wont want to bring it to light for fear of being slated.

Cannibalism can happen in adulthood as well, I know someone who has had to wrestle one snakes head out of another mouth.

Cannibalism is a risk not scaremongering and to suggest otherwise is rather naive.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:

......Has anyone on here actually had one of their snakes eat another snake?.........

Yes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:19:48  Show Profile
Just google it or go on youtube. Lots of pics and videos of it.

I agree it's up to the owner of the snakes but the way I see it is I know for a fact that my staffy is completely safe around my 2 kittens BUT fact is that if he wanted to he could kill them. So as the risk is always there I never ever leave them alone together.

I think it is always a risk to house 2 snakes together and they may well be fine for months, years even BUT there is always gonna be that risk.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:19:59  Show Profile
i would not say it couldn't happen.... all i was showing was that in this case ..... i seem NOT to have a problem...... "touch wood".....

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:21:59  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Illness can and does happen and spread if they are kept seperately. Its a fair point its difficult to pin point problems to a specific snake immediately but there is nothing stopping you separating them should something like that occur.

Its clearly a controversial subject but the fact of the matter is its down to personal preference, a corn snake on its own is fine, corn snakes together are fine.

Oh and for info. I don't co habit snakes, mainly because I'm happy with just 1 for now, I'm not planning on getting another just yet and when I do I probably won't cohabit because I wouldn't want to introduce another snake to Spot as he will be used to been alone but I haven't ruled it out either.

i know this is down to the owner to decided but i cant understand how you can give such detailed and informative advice when you only own 1 snake yourself and have no experience of cohabitation,i know theres a lot of information on google about this but unless you have been in this situation or have experience of it you shouldnt really be advising people that "there going to be ok".I dont think they would be happy to take your advice then for it all to go pear shaped

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:28:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gmac
Cannibalism is a risk not scaremongering and to suggest otherwise is rather naive.

Its not naive if you consider the amount of captive cohabited snakes compared to the number of cannibalised snakes must be such a small percentage that it can no way be considered a risk. Don't get me wrong I don't have figures to back that up but common sense leans that way and the reason this info isn't around is because its not a common problem.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:28:43  Show Profile
to me this is not my first time co-habbiting .... i have done this too with cali king snakes and once again they were roughly the same age and size and never had any problems ...i eventually seperated them for sale when i re-located towns and my work commitments were alot more pet UN-friendly

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:34:12  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Its not naive if you consider the amount of captive cohabited snakes compared to the number of cannibalised snakes must be such a small percentage that it can no way be considered a risk. Don't get me wrong I don't have figures to back that up but common sense leans that way and the reason this info isn't around is because its not a common problem.

But surely if if there is even a small chance it can happen then it's still a risk?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
In regards the canabilistic tendencies of cornsnakes, that is under dispute by many people but look at what snakes are like....

Kings are snake eaters by design, if they come across another snake they WILL eat it, hence why many breeders make sure they have a proper nice big meal a day or 2 before pairing.
Corns are opportunistic feeders, if they have the opportunity to eat 10 mice they will. Likewise if they have the opportunity to eat a 'bed mate' they will.

I wouldn't steal a telly, but given the opportunity to buy a 40 inch plasma for 100 quid, I would.

See the difference between opportunistic and definitely wouldn't???

At the moment Crash has 3 snakes in together, so far with no problems and with luck he wont have, however I speak from experience when I say it's not IF but WHEN a problem arises. Mine were co-habiting for over 9 years before one decided to try to eat the other, for no particular reason either, the one doing the eating was trying to eat a snake that was nearly a foot longer than itself as well as much thicker, so quite often size doesn't matter.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:35:13  Show Profile
quote:

It seems to me you are clutching here, you have no way of knowing how many corns are cannibalised so you have no way to determine percentage risk, so you don't know if its high risk or low risk, yet you GUESS its low risk, not the wises thing in the world to do. So until you can provide me with actual facts and figures this must be seen as a risk.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:35:43  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by crash1978

to me this is not my first time co-habbiting .... i have done this too with cali king snakes and once again they were roughly the same age and size and never had any problems ...
well,i got to say is that you were very very lucky and a irresponsible owner if you kept kings together,why do you think there called kings,they eat other snakes thats why,did'nt you do any research on them first,if you did the first thing you would of read is that they are cannablistic

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Gonna test this I think.
I'm gonna handle one of my kings and then try to handle another without hand cleaning in between, lets see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:38:28  Show Profile
Oh thats right, I have 1 snake so I have no right to give advice on a subject, you don't know anything about my knowledge base (I can assure you its not google like half the bull on here). We'll just pretend that I haven't any idea what I'm talking about for a second and ask why would having lots of snakes make you any better a judge at what is best practice. I believe the quality of care is the most important factor in keeping any animal not the amount of snakes you own.

Its detailed and informative, you got that bit right.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Simple question then:

What is your experience with co-habiting then??

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000