i know there is alot of diss-agreement to this ....but why is this a bad idea

all my snakes seem to be happy together

so i am unsure y this should not be done

cheers for any info

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  15:33:16  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

just read this mate
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  16:57:21  Show Profile
this is my viv

it is 3ft long 19" high and 18" deep

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  09:40:17  Show Profile
What sexes are the snakes?? read the stickies, all the info is there, or just search for co habiting, you wont be short of answers.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  10:05:25  Show Profile
to be honest i have no idea ...... will get them sexed some time nxt week ..... hopefully

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  12:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Most reptile shops will happily probe them for you.
Just give them a buzz and ask when would be best to bring them up.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  12:31:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by crash1978

to be honest i have no idea ...... will get them sexed some time nxt week ..... hopefully

Thats the exact reason why Co-habitting is such a bad idea.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  13:06:20  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address
Personally I would never put 2 snakes in the same viv/tank apart from during breeding season.
Chances are they wouldn't harm each other, but if there is ANY chance they would (which there is) that is enough for me personally so say I'd never put them together.
I got mine a while back then my dad got one, his was a bit older when we got it, so they are about the same age now, he suggested we put them in the same tank, and I said absolutely no way.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  23:47:23  Show Profile
the three amigos.....

sorry about the poor picture quality

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  01:50:47  Show Profile
You will need them sexed, if you've 2 males and a female its going to cause issues. Any other combination should be fine other than breeding risk when they are small.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  07:15:22  Show Profile
have got it planned for this week "hopefully"

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  10:02:07  Show Profile
Not only is it the sex that's a problem, baby corns have been known to be cannibalistic.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  16:44:04  Show Profile

all settled together

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  16:47:54  Show Profile
I would be so worried about keeping 3 together like that! I worry so much about my little guy on his own lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  16:52:12  Show Profile
they are quite happy together there is never a time i never find at least 2 of them huddled together

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  18:39:52  Show Profile
I didn't think snakes "huddled" though. I thought that was one trying to be dominant? In the wild would you see snakes like that? I thought only during mating. I didn't think snakes needed company. I could be wrong though, still learning about snakes myself so correct me if so :o)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  19:13:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I didn't think snakes "huddled" though. I thought that was one trying to be dominant? In the wild would you see snakes like that? I thought only during mating. I didn't think snakes needed company. I could be wrong though, still learning about snakes myself so correct me if so :o)

It is pretty much exactly that, its not an issue though (although many would disagree) in the wild they don't stick to social groups they are not pack animals but they do interact in the wild. I wouldn't put 2 snakes together who have never so much as seen another snake, thats going to scare them but as in this case 3 snakes that are together and have always been together will be fine, just as they get used to you handling them, the dog/cat sniffing at the glass, children, the bass from your stereo/TV they will be used to each other. We do the best to make habitats as close to nature as possible but they are captive animals and to a degree have to fit in with us.

Saying that, putting them together and not knowing the sex is asking for trouble. Ideally you want all the same sex together, males will cohabit fine unless a female is thrown into the mix, females will cohabit fine but throw a male in the mix and well don't need to explain that.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address
No you were perfectly correct! They are not at all "huddled" up! They are competing for the best space. Snakes dont need company, they dont hold emotions, they arent friends, just as you arent a friend to them, they wont miss you or notice if you arent there. Sorry! :/
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  20:10:09  Show Profile
Crash, are your snakes still once they ''huddle'' together or are they constantly wiggling and spinning for the best position?

Competeing for the best space is true but only in as much as the best space for three snakes housed together would technically be ''huddled'' together for warmth, protection etc. They may not be friends (human emotion, not applicable to any animals) but they are not a threat to each other unless mating is an issue.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:21:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

They may not be friends (human emotion, not applicable to any animals) but they are not a threat to each other unless mating is an issue.

Except for the threat of cannabalism
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:23:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

but they are not a threat to each other unless mating is an issue.

passing on illnesses, diseases mites etc stressing each other

Edited by - gmac on 11/12/2010 21:44:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000