lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:42:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Gonna test this I think.
I'm gonna handle one of my kings and then try to handle another without hand cleaning in between, lets see what happens.

LOL, I think you may take a bite.

Cohabiting Kings is not a good idea, in fact don't do it.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:44:07  Show Profile
sorry to have stirred this subject up.... i would never assume anyones ability to give me any info here everything here i have seen HAS given me alot to think about and consider ....for the moment i will still continue to co-habbit but may if a bit more spare money comes my way then i may invest in a set of stacker viv's and seperate the trio

once again sorry if i have upset anyone with this topic

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:46:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I believe the quality of care is the most important factor in keeping any animal not the amount of snakes you own.
so why adise people to take risks,if you want to do it fine,which you dont,just feel you shouldnt tell others its ok

quote:

Its detailed and informative, you got that bit right.

detailed and informative,but not necessarily correct

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:47:29  Show Profile
You know you could get 3 smaller rubs and fit them in the viv you have now

Just an idea :o)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:49:45  Show Profile
Right I don't cohabit, I have no experience cohabiting snakes, thats no secret. I don't think I would cohabit a snake either by personal choice but just because you don't do something doesn't make it wrong. I see both sides of the arguement/debate and I don't see the risks been all that risky.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  22:51:06  Show Profile
not sure i am keen on reducing the size of the space they r used too..... sounds too much like a downgrade after being in the big viv

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/12/2010 23:40:08
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  23:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
This stack (aside from light fittings/heat/stat etc) so basically all the wood/glass/runners cost me fractionally under 60 quid to build.
Aye it's not got the edging strips on the front etc, but as people are aware, I sport a beard.

B&Q are great for cutting a big board up into sizes you require, each individual viv is 36 inch long and 16 inch deep and high.
All bits were cut from one sheet of 8x4ft sheet, so all I had to do was screw it together, seal it and put the runners and glass in.

/edit
Just to add, Chalkie was overjoyed at having a Trio smelling hand thrust into her viv:

CFB

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/12/2010 23:54:39
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  00:57:27  Show Profile
Thats a nice big setup you got there, I would love to one day build a stack but me and DIY usually results in injury. Nothing wrong with been a bit rough round the edges though :)
I do personally think that a stack is a better idea and can be quite cheap to put together.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  08:43:09  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address
Lotabob, I dont think they were trying to say you lack knowledge, just experience. I know myself a fair bit about snakes, but I have still never kept one, therefore the people you were arguing with know more, they always will be a more reliable source of information compared to us because they have experience, and quite a lot, hence "moderator". And as for risks, there are many risks that you may take on yourself, ie smoking, eating poorly, speeding, drink driving, etc. Fair enough take these risks and risk your own safety, but please dont on this forum ADVISE people that them cohabitting is fine, you are promoting risks and taking a risk on another person or animals life in my opinion is disgraceful, and if you wouldnt do it then dont tell other people they are fine. I personally believe that the risk is far higher than our eyes can see. :)

Im not asking for you to argue in return, that is just how I feel, so please dont do it. And dont ever say the information on this forum isnt any good because it is the best I have ever seen.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  09:35:15  Show Profile
To me a risk is a risk,no matter how great or small. If there was a small risk a snake could escape through a tiny hole I'm sure everyone on here would seal that hole up. So to me cohabitting whether a small risk or not should be avoided bearing in the stress etc it can cause to the snakes,never mind the worst case scenario of cannibalism.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  11:03:07  Show Profile
It's not just the risk of canibalism that would stop me letting snakes share a viv. I want to know all my snakes (when I get more!) are healthy. when you have snakes sharing, unless you watch them 24/7 how do you know which snake has pooped? If there is a regurge, how do you know which snake it was? Things like that also have to be considered.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  11:10:17  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

did you hide that bark in the middle viv when i came round,wanna swap it lol

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  11:55:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by crash1978

ti have done this too with cali king snakes

That seems like risjy buisness to me. Very risky buisness. Even the dumb petshops round me that co-habit corns never cohabit kings.

I have co-habbitted corns, due to lack of common sense on my part/up to date research. I feel I am very, very lucky that my girl didn't die due to being egg bound since she was about 1 when I got her and the male was 2 or 3. I am also very lucky that my male didn't eat my female as he is a pig and also lucky that she didnt try to eat him as well she has her random moments it seems of trying to eat things she shouldn't XD My girl snake was just stressed with the situation of being with another snake that used to sit ontop of her so she couldn't really move to get a drink or take a dump without loosing the best place in the viv. I always knew which snake resurge their meals, sounds werid but I just knew and it was only ever one snake that did the regurge. As for poos, no. Might seem silly but if theres a bloody poo in the viv, how you going to know who's it is? Means more money for vet treatment.

Although with a viv stack, even with the snakes seprate, if one snake has mites in the stack or an RI or any other disease, kinda seems to me that there's also chance of other snakes getting it anyway. No idea if it would or not as I have never had this problem. Probably a less of a chance that cohabiting.

May have to stal you idea of hangig my keys off my viv's K lol will never loose them again :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:01:51  Show Profile
I am only gonna say one thing, because 2 things will turn into 3, 4, then i will get another warning for calling people stupid.
Co-habitting is a big risk, not just for cannibilism, but for transmitting diseases, and beleive it or not, not all diseases show signs until the snake is dead, then the others die. With 3 snakes together, there WILL be competition for the best spot, and it is competition, in the wild corns do not share a warm rock or a patch of sun because they wanna get all cuddly with each other, they choose their own spot where they feel safe.
Snakes get stressed when they have to compete for things, sometimes the stress doesnt show in the normal ways, ie, their immune system can be compromised, so things like the natural salmonella and pseudamonas bugs can run riot and cause even bigger problems, and that, you wont see until its already passed onto the others.

Tiff is right also, whether you beleive its right or not, you should not under any circumstances advice people that something is right when there is clear evidence that its not ok.
If you go out in the evening and cross a road without looking because its quiet, would you advise that everyone does it all the time????
Would you suggest that people go and play with fire, because having a fire in your living room is 'relatively' safe????

Crash, you are ignoring peoples good advice here, advice based on experience, lots of experience. These people are not looking out for you, and your best interests, they are concerned about your animals safety, does that not worry you?? are you not the slightest bit concerned that people are concerned about your animals??

Or is it you just dont care???? or do you know best???

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  13:09:54  Show Profile
ok for one i do care about my snakes.... they are constantly monitered for there health and any problems..... i have never stated that i know best and due to MY PERSONAL experience with snakes and i have a many years experience i have decided to keep them this way...... i am not the only one who does this and yes i know any risk is a risk

Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  13:43:08  Show Profile
Simply put, if there is any sort of risk you can avoid and you choose not to, you are doing your animals a disservice. It is impossible to 'constantly monitor' your snakes - you have to sleep and leave the house from time to time for starters. The length of this thread is testament to the importance of this subject, and passion of those who purposely avoid such risks for very good reasons. Don't ignore them, for your animals sake.

1.0.0 Snow - Claude
1.1.0 Carolina - Heidar and Suki

WISH LIST - Fire, Sulpher

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  15:37:40  Show Profile
Well this got a bit personal and to be perfectly honest, rude! Crash clearly cares for his snakes, to say otherwise is unfair. Now I am perfectly entitled to my own opinion, and in my opinion cohabiting corn snakes is not the big risk people say it is. I have also said I wouldn't cohabit, my reasons for this are on health grounds only. Seeing both sides of the discussion is not a disgrace (thanks) and it is not a disservice to animals to do things LOTS of owners do without a problem. Rather than attack people who do cohabit, maybe advise them on things they need to watch out for, ie tell Crash he needs to get the snakes sexed and split if they are a mix, or feed seperately (which he already does). There are many ways to keep a corn snake, please don't forget this and think that your way is the only way. This doesn't mean you are wrong either, just doing it a different way.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  16:08:08  Show Profile
quote:

Well this got a bit personal and to be perfectly honest, rude! Crash clearly cares for his snakes Yes, clearly to say otherwise is unfair, No its not unfair, its perfectly justified Now I am perfectly entitled to my own opinion, and in my opinion cohabiting corn snakes is not the big risk people say it isIn a lot of people opinion, taking crack cocaine isnt a problem I have also said I wouldn't cohabit, my reasons for this are on health grounds onlyErm, thats hypocritical considering thats the main issue Seeing both sides of the discussion is not a disgrace (thanks)it is when you start advising bad practice and it is not a disservice to animals to do things LOTS of owners do without a problemit is when you are putting 2/3rds of your animals in a position of known danger. Rather than attack people who do cohabit, maybe advise them on things they need to watch out for, ie tell Crash he needs to get the snakes sexed and split if they are a mixBeen there, done that, been ignored, or feed seperately (which he already does). There are many ways to keep a corn snake, please don't forget this and think that your way is the only way. This doesn't mean you are wrong either, just doing it a different way.

its not what people 'think', its a proven issue with keeping baby cornsnakes together, ignoring that is just plain stupid, and advising to do it, well, thats goes beyond stupid.

Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  16:13:27  Show Profile
It IS a disservice if you choose to ignore a risk you can completely avoid. That is not opinion, but fact. Alot of people here ARE advising Crash what to look out for - the very real possibility (or even probability) of his snakes eating eachother at some point in their lives together - and if he, and anyone else, consciously choose to ignore this advice, they ARE doing a complete disservice to their animals. Again, not opinion, just simple fact. This isn't personal in the slightest.

1.0.0 Snow - Claude
1.1.0 Carolina - Heidar and Suki

WISH LIST - Fire, Sulpher

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  16:13:41  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address
The worst part is, its WORST to do it with hatchlings!!
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000