Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  23:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manual: http://www.microclimate.co.uk/ahs_user_guide.pdf

Image:

I added in two thermometers whilst setting the temperatures for 2 days, one in the air on cold side, and the other infront of the heater, reading temps of 27C on the hot end, 22C on the colds end in air temp, it is not a contact heater but an air heater but kicks off enough to heat up all viv equipment including substrate etc.

btw my reading are both 5cm away from heater and then 5cm away from side wall

Edited by - bigJME on 16/11/2010 00:03:35
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  00:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could go on about the heater but really as long as you are getting the right temperatures AT GROUND LEVEL (that's where the snake will be) then its doing its job. Any readings taken above ground level is not an accurate reading for your snake. The viv is looking good though, nice hides and bits to climb on, though if its a hatchie your getting I would put LOADS more plants, rocks, cardboard tubes, in there so it can basically move around without feeling exposed. If you have a pets at home near your house, they sell a very cool fake skull which always looks good with a snake in it (£15).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  00:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i may have a look for one of those, i have been looking at more plants aswell also so will check out prices when i got get my snake on wednesday, btw just put my thermometers back in on the aspan floor like you wanted (heat the snake will be in) and its reading 27C and 22C, i then moved the sensor closer into the middle of the viv and getting a reading of 24C, so gradient seems to be ok along the bottom of the viv

Edited by - bigJME on 16/11/2010 01:16:00
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  01:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An inexpensive alternative to the quite expensive reptile plants are silk leaf branches from florists, your reptile shop might even sell them too (mine does) they look all right too, this is my viv

I'm not using the light at the moment though, Spot seems to prefer the heat mat on its own. I have 6 branches in there I think at £1.50 each, and they are wired so they can be bent to fit and strong enough for a climber like Spot.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  01:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will definetly be looking for some of those, i think i paid someting like £2.67 for the plant in my viv at the moment
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  01:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like them because Spot loves climbing them and you can barely see the wires for 2 thermometer probes and a hygrometer running from the top left the other thermometer probe and both stat probes run in at ground level. Decorating the viv is great fun, I've just bought another hide for Spot a snake cave thing, should be getting delivered tomorrow though he is in blue at the moment so he/I will have to wait.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  01:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was looking at a cave but decided to go for a hide out first as i need to get abit more money, spent probably £180 so far, then got to get to spent another £50 minimum wednesday, running out of cash abit :) will get a load more in January or something like that
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  02:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah its not cheap, I think I've spent about 300 I have one more bit to buy (viv cabinet) then I'm done on this setup. Start saving for the next setup.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  02:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive got snake, cabinet, plants, light, more decoration etc. so mine will be probably just abit over 300
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  08:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work with the shower seal,you'll be glad you've got it as when you get your snake and watch it trying to find escape routes you won't be on pins. Looks good too.
If you have a Dunelm near you they have loads of silk and plastic plants that are nice and cheap. They have a long ivy garland thats wired ,looks fab wound round a vine. Only something like £3.50.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  08:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the ivy,theres 2 types,I wasn't far off with the price
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/artificial-holland-ivy-garland-51529
Aside from the floor standing plant all the others in my snakes viv were from there. Got too much actually but they come in handy when I put them in full size vivs

Lokis side of the viv

Falcors side of the viv

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  09:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx for the advice :) think i will get one of the skulls and some of those plants then :)

was this the skull you meant? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/life-like-human-skull-aquarium-ornament-by-blue-ribbon-25728

Edited by - bigJME on 16/11/2010 11:27:53
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  14:37:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The heater does look rather fancy though :p I can picture snakey climbing on it a lot.
I love the fish decor in P@H I just get put off that snakey will probably outgrow it in a year :(

The Duhelm mill plants are wicked though. They can take the weight of my adult fat snake climbing on them and haven't broken! Unlike some other expensive reptile brand plants :( I'd just plop cardboard boxes, roll rolls and stuff to make snakey feel secure, you shouldn't spend any more than you need to if your getting a baby.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh, and i know my local pet store have the same heaters as i have and the snakes love it, lie all over it and everything :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  16:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would worry me its cut out temp is 70 degrees C

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  16:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it never gets up to the 70C, when its running full temp i can put my hand directly on the heater, it probably gets to a max of 40C but my local pet store use the same but 500W so it kicks off alot more heat and they just lie and go all over the heater, even with the temp set higher then mine
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  22:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got my snake :) its a 6 month old Amelanistic corn snake, no clue on gender, the pet shop didnt say and didnt really care, will post some pics later on, seems very happy in the faun its in atm just to get it use to the environment, its just over 2ft long so should be fine for the viv as its already had a wonder round for abit, its sleeping right now in its faun inside the viv and it doesnt seem shy atall, wasnt very keen on holding it in the store though as the seller didnt really help me learn how to hold it properly or even able to tell me when it last shed, it feeds once a week so im leaving it for this first week and will feed it next week, the pet store where useless and had no clue, the bloke last time was the keeper and had his own and helped loads and told me my set up was fine, this one didnt know anything and said i should keep it in the faun for 2 months just for it to get to know the environment!
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  22:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pic of my snake, isnt great quality and is pretty dark but ooo well

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  23:17:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
2ft at 6 months? That is either huge or it is older o.o;

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  23:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its d.o.b is 29/5/2010 so its just under 6months, i think it must be huge, they better not be messing me about, they had some others the same age and size aswell, and some 2 months that must have been just under a foot long, its in the faun and covers both short sides, the long side and abit more when its stretched out lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000