Posted - 12/10/2010 :  22:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
light not necessary at night so that fine

Edited by - gmac on 12/10/2010 22:45:31
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  22:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx gmac, just wanted to check as i have seen that some effect the way the snake acts or something like that, hopefully my dad will help me out abit, ive read the entire guide on here so i think im ok, i have a couple of pinky suppliers encase i cant get them from other store so i have alot of back ups planned, would you all recommend that i put my snake in a container for feeding? i know i shouldn't feed them in the faun with Aspen on the floor but not sure if to get a cheap food container or just get a carry case, like a small faun to feed in and while i clean out the faun so i can use it as a carry case so i can move it out the room when im having to do some hoovering
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
small tupperware box from poundland is as good as anything for feeding, just make sure you put some air holes in it

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will do :) may use the one i get the snake supplied in :)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh,heh gmac beat me to it Defo recommend putting him/her in a seperate container. Stops the worry of them ingesting any of the substrate,plus you can use it to weigh your snake too if you so wish.

Don't worry about lights,Loki is in the longe and when we're in bed its pitch black. Often come down in the morning and catch him having a wander

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx mort :)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tis a pleasure Still worrying about things myself,so glad I came across this site

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  14:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me too :) found some snakes i liked earlier, very active, tongs out, trying to escape lmao, and for £45 its not even that expensive

im looking at putting the heat mat inside the faunarium with the Aspan just put ontop of it, would i need the heat sensor directly ontop of the heat mat or just in the faunarium ontop of the aspan to monitor the actual temperature of the faun? as it wont keep much heat due to the vents at the top, hopefully they wont be too large and the snake try and escape.

also would i need 2 digital thermometers, one for the hot end and one for the cool end so i can check its ok all the time? as i know one side needs to be about 21 degrees and the other at around 29/30

ooo yeh one last question thank god, does anyone know of any appropriate hand washes for before and after pet handling? preferably one of the following :)

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilecleaning/handwashing

Edited by - bigJME on 13/10/2010 21:21:12
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  17:25:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

small tupperware box from poundland is as good as anything for feeding, just make sure you put some air holes in it

And for snakey to live in ;)

Um I don't use any hand-washes, just normal sainburys antibacterial soap that everyone in the houses uses and I haven't got anything nasty in 8 years and I dig about in my snakes substrate for poo XD Although maybe to be on the safe side if little kiddies live at your house or old people gel stuff might be better.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx :) i found my old thermostat, its a microclimate model DL1, still fetching £55 after all these years so i will be using that, has anyone else used one of these for heat mats? as i believe they are designed for lights

Edit: i have found the manual for it and it will run up to 600w of any heat source so it should run great :) might adjust bit abit to run as dual for controlling multiple heat mats if i need be, think i got everything sorted now, i know i cant handle it for 48 hours after feeding but i take it i can move it back into the faunarium after feeding? as i will be feeding the snake in a breeding box from blue lizard reptiles without a heater or anything in it

Edited by - bigJME on 16/10/2010 22:43:27
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  22:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, you can lift the snake back into its home from the feeding tub without any probs.

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  22:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx gmac, my mate pointed out the problem with me as i dont want it throwing up its food, will ask about it when i buy my snake, im looking for a female as i wish to introduce another female at a later stage :) one for me and one for my girlfriend lmao
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  22:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok everyone so im building my own thermostat and thermometer set-up which from what ive created is perfect as i can digitally adjust the wanted max temp and have 2 digital temperature sensors giving my readings every 60ms with warning lights and siren, so yeh ive been reading on the net and the room my faunarium is going in gets very cold at times, such as 9 degrees C which really isnt good, so will the 7w heat mat still be able to keep it to the correct temperature or should i get a larger more powerful one?
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why would your faun get that cold, is that normal for your ambient room temperature. The 7w mat does me just fine, however I don't think my room temp gets that cold. Also as your cool end wont have any eating and 9 degrees is a bit too cold for that end.

Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigJME

thanx gmac, my mate pointed out the problem with me as i dont want it throwing up its food, will ask about it when i buy my snake, im looking for a female as i wish to introduce another female at a later stage :) one for me and one for my girlfriend lmao

Are you planning on introducing this new female into the same viv?

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am planning to eventually but not for a while, and room temperature is very weird as sometimes my brother opens the windows and wonders off, i will stick my sensor on now and tell you my current room temperature however come Christmas it gets much colder as my room is a loft conversion

Currently my room is at 17 degrees C which is pretty cold, im going to leave my pc hooked up to my temperature sensor and will see the lowest it gets, major advantage to my heating set up as i can plug my laptop in and see the exact temperature :)
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not many people would reccomend housing two corns together, see the sticky on the forum, hopefully it will change your mind. Id link to it but i havent the foggiest how to

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh i have seen that :) i may just have 2 set-ups instead, my room is currently sitting constant at 16 degrees C, my room is in the loft and in the summer can get up to 29 degrees C room temperature, so i may need an additional cooler and heater?
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im glad you're concidering it! You shouldnt need an additional heater, assuming your ambient room temp doesnt drop much lower...as for a cooler in the summer i should imagine it would be cheaper/less hassle to just move snakie to a cooler part of the house. 29 degrees as an ambient room temp will be too hot.

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i may be able to just open my window alot or stick a fan somewhere in my room, im going to keep monitoring my room temperature over christmas when the temperature will seriously drop alot and then see what i will need :) may just be the case of needing a 14W heat mat instead of a 7W one
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000